close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Author Message
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Some newer photos of my Waltworks.
This bike is easily the most confidence inspiring hardtail I've ever ridden.

Super cool ride!

Any idea why it's particularly confidence inspiring?
Just the length and slackness?
Did you ride a frame with similar geo before?

Slackness, length, and compliance. I've ridden other hardtails with similar aspects of geometry, but none that brought it all together like this. Compared to a fullie the geo feels similar to my XL transition Scout.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:01 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:

tup

Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 11:40 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
Very cool, Maybe some closer shots ??

Here you go, from today:



This bike is currently set as 27.5", but look! There's enough room to run it 29er, which is what I'll probably do soon. Current fork is 140mm, but I can knock travel down to 120mm + 29" wheels to balance out the geo.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:37 Quote
This bike was inspired by Andrew Major's NSMB article on his Walt Works V2. I read and reread that article and then applied some of that thought process to my own needs and desires. I opted for a budget build on custom Marino frame. I only have one ride on it so far, but I can say, its pretty close to what I had in mind. Its a fun ride and it compliments and contrasts my modern full suspension bike quite well.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
Right on. Looks like a fun machine!

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:47 Quote
My brother got a medium NS frame so we did some parts swap. My bike currently in trail mode:
170mm cranks
130 Pike (looking for 140 airshaft)
2.6 with cushcores

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 6:29 Quote
altronulis wrote:
This bike was inspired by Andrew Major's NSMB article on his Walt Works V2. I read and reread that article and then applied some of that thought process to my own needs and desires. I opted for a budget build on custom Marino frame. I only have one ride on it so far, but I can say, its pretty close to what I had in mind. Its a fun ride and it compliments and contrasts my modern full suspension bike quite well.
hot.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
Primo123 wrote:
My brother got a medium NS frame so we did some parts swap. My bike currently in trail mode:
170mm cranks
130 Pike (looking for 140 airshaft)
2.6 with cushcores


Did you switch from 175 cranks ??? if so what is your thoughts on the difference ??? Ive heard there is less fatigue..

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
altronulis wrote:
This bike was inspired by Andrew Major's NSMB article on his Walt Works V2. I read and reread that article and then applied some of that thought process to my own needs and desires. I opted for a budget build on custom Marino frame. I only have one ride on it so far, but I can say, its pretty close to what I had in mind. Its a fun ride and it compliments and contrasts my modern full suspension bike quite well.

Need more details on this bad boy. like geo and fork. Looks super fun. I have a nimble9 with a trek 1120 fork and it has been more fun than I anticipated.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
Primo123 wrote:
My brother got a medium NS frame so we did some parts swap. My bike currently in trail mode:
170mm cranks
130 Pike (looking for 140 airshaft)
2.6 with cushcores


Did you switch from 175 cranks ??? if so what is your thoughts on the difference ??? Ive heard there is less fatigue..

Yes I swapped from SLX 175. I like the 170 better. Feels quicker in accelerating and a little higher rpms

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
Got some 27.5 40 mil wheels coming for a plus sized rigid rootdown experiment. Should be interesting. If bb goes too low I’ll toss a 140 on it to bring it back up but hopefully it won’t be too much of an issue....

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
The fork is a Surly Karate Monkey fork. Originally I had planned to have a fork made with the frame based on the dimensions of the surly fork. In the end I was able to trade some stuff for a brand new surly fork, so I cancelled the fork part of my order. I picked the geo based on primarily riding with the rigid fork, but also a 100-120 suspension fork. In a nutshell I was looking for modern-ish trail bike numbers but with no suspension. The rear is supposed to clear a 2.8, but the 2.6 in there now doesn’t leave much room. The parts are all pretty basic… especially the avid bb7 mechanical brakes.

Here are some geo numbers:
HT angle: 66.5
ST angle: 76
Reach: 465
Effective TT: 623
ST length: 455
BB drop: 70
Chain stay: 440
Fork length: 483
HT length: 120

Oh and I am 5’ 10”

Doogster wrote:
altronulis wrote:
This bike was inspired by Andrew Major's NSMB article on his Walt Works V2. I read and reread that article and then applied some of that thought process to my own needs and desires. I opted for a budget build on custom Marino frame. I only have one ride on it so far, but I can say, its pretty close to what I had in mind. Its a fun ride and it compliments and contrasts my modern full suspension bike quite well.

Need more details on this bad boy. like geo and fork. Looks super fun. I have a nimble9 with a trek 1120 fork and it has been more fun than I anticipated.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016690
Mobile Version of Website