Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 19:55 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Tayrob wrote:
Question for all of you...
I currently own a full custom Marino frame and am thinking about going hardtail full time. I'm looking for a builder who can do full custom, similar to Marino, but preferably in North America even better if in the States.

Looking for steel, around the $2,000 mark, and seems as though they'll be around in 5 to 10 years. I was looking at Waltworks, but he's semi-retired as of a few weeks ago and his build queue is roughly 12-16 months now and the only other option that looked along those lines was Daam Built.

Any others that you guys know of that st would be worth a peek?

Tons speckled around.

Check out Corvid and Sklar for a couple contrasting designs but both are stunning.

Corvid Dirt Surfer is a sexy machine

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:04 Quote
Went out with the idea of doing a brisk out and back loop today but ended up feeling pretty good and did a 4,000' vert climb/ hike a bike to intersect with Barr trail at 10,000' elevation...2 to 4 inches of snow pretty much every where above 8,000 feet was tacky and ridable so 4,000' descent down Barr Trail was really fun.... It was good for my head to descend lower Barr... took it easy but gave me a chance to test myself on all the little techy gnar sections...Nothing like surfing down a big mountain right to your doorstep Smile No pics cause phone died on climb but was a gorgeous day up there.

Snapped this photo when I was out for a walk this evening in Colorado Springs...

photo

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
Nice work!
Did you tell anybody where you were going?!

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:16 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Nice work!
Did you tell anybody where you were going?!

Ummmm...actually I'm back up to my same old antics....But it was all unplanned...:Confused I'd be safe on lower Barr Trail its pretty well used... but the climb was an obscure route.. Totally thought I was posting in the "where'd you ride today thread" Sorry to take thread off topic... was mistake..

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
Tayrob wrote:
Question for all of you...
I currently own a full custom Marino frame and am thinking about going hardtail full time. I'm looking for a builder who can do full custom, similar to Marino, but preferably in North America even better if in the States.

Looking for steel, around the $2,000 mark, and seems as though they'll be around in 5 to 10 years. I was looking at Waltworks, but he's semi-retired as of a few weeks ago and his build queue is roughly 12-16 months now and the only other option that looked along those lines was Daam Built.

Any others that you guys know of that st would be worth a peek?

Add Myth Cycles to the list.
That was my second choice to Waltworks. Got my Waltworks just before he (semi)retired.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 18:51 Quote
Any opinions on the Hope floating rotors versus Shimano ??? Performance wise...

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 21:17 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:

Last time I used Hope floating rotors they crackled cooling down. General braking performance was the same. No real advantage, IMO.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 21:22 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:

Last time I used Hope floating rotors they crackled cooling down. General braking performance was the same. No real advantage, IMO.

Was curious caused they are priced well and look pretty cool so I may try them...

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 23:29 Quote
on my shiguras, the hope rotors are rubbing way less than the shimanos. if they're the same price, i'd always go hope.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 23:45 Quote
Fair point. Might as well try 2mm thick rotors. IME Magura rotors distort less than the thinner Shimano ones. Never used IceTech, though.
Although Magura rotors might not work well with Shimano pads.

photo

Changed tyres on this one. Waaaayy better than the Onza Ibex. This thing really does ride way better than it has any right to.

Also tried to run a 10s road bike cassette cog in the rear, because it was easier to source than the equivalently sized singlespeed cog. Stupid idea, don't do that.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
Night riding noob here. best bang for buck bar and helmet light?

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 6:01 Quote
Primo123 wrote:

Always worth chucking in a max price your willing to pay for a performance product. I got cheap ones that are only 1800 lumens that are perfect for a ‘dry’ ride , couple other sets that are more high end and more trustworthy!

Flood pattern on the bars and a spot pattern on the helmet (yeah I know there’s medication for that lol )

I’d go flood if it was just one light required, anything 2000 lumens is good enough

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 6:03 Quote
Primo123 wrote:

Oooof whats your budget?

Im needing to replace 10 year old barmount CatEye 1200... still going but life of charge is waning. Its been solid for the 250$ range.

Outbound is a newer company out of the states. Lots of folks using them up here. Around 250$ For that as well 2100-2200 lumens.
I might try that out.

Helmet you can get away with 600-1000+ lumens. I have light in motion 800.

You can buy cheaper chinese lights. And I have. Lights typically are pretty good. The bar mounts typically are not. Shitty bar mounts are lame. Lights flipping up in your eyes etc. dangerous really. That said a little electrical tape ghettowrapped around the mount (as I currently have) will work....

2 cents...

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 6:09 Quote
^^^^

Yep, check those mounts! One of my lights is for alloy bars only, would ruin a carbon bar after a few weeks..

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
Light and motion
Niterider
Bontrager
MagicShine
Exposure
Outbound
So many to choose from

The key is correct setup of lumen and beam pattern. I run 1100 spot light on my head and 1800 wide beam light on the bars.

Other thing to consider is the battery: on a cord or built into the light…

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020275
Mobile Version of Website