Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: May 27, 2022 at 9:04 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
And there needs to be more silver forks in this world..

I actually agree w/that, no joke. I like the Rockshox silver/gray, but think they'd look even better in a closer to chrome type of finish on many bikes. I miss that bold look we used to see more often when there seemed to be a lot more silver forks.

~JSV

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
You two wouldn’t know class if it bit you in the ass.

What's the whole "vintage fork offset" joke about? Is that a 51 offset? Screw that, I have a 51mm offset on my Stumpy and I think it helps the handling better.

BTW I love the bike. 9/10 Suitable for "banging" lol lol lol

~JSV

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 10:27 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:
Built a 2nd set of wheels & tyres for my Nordest Lacrau Ti Pinion for gravel riding & local mellow summer stuff.

2nd 27.5 3" set

Absolutely love the bike. Can't miss with that one tup That really is a beauty of a frame. OK so I must be a dummy-n00b to the tech on this bike, but could you enlighten me on what's going w/the BB? Is that a gearbox for the belt-drive?

~JSV

Thanks! And yeah it's a Pinion internal gearbox, 12 speed, all sealed away from the British winter. You can run either belt or chain drive with a single chainring and rear sprocket. I went with belt drive for maximum weather proofing and zero maintenance, but it is more costly, harder to get parts for, and you're limited by the belt and sprocket sizes, you can't just add/remove a link.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 11:32 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:
Thanks! And yeah it's a Pinion internal gearbox, 12 speed, all sealed away from the British winter. You can run either belt or chain drive with a single chainring and rear sprocket. I went with belt drive for maximum weather proofing and zero maintenance, but it is more costly, harder to get parts for, and you're limited by the belt and sprocket sizes, you can't just add/remove a link.

How's the belt been for durability? I've seen them perform and last really well in urban/commuting environments and never needing to lube them is great, but I've been extremely wary of using them offroad. I keep imagining mud and grit wearing away the teeth of the belt in a hurry. The ring design seems to have fantastic mud clearing, but still.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 13:14 Quote
melanthius wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:

How's the belt been for durability? I've seen them perform and last really well in urban/commuting environments and never needing to lube them is great, but I've been extremely wary of using them offroad. I keep imagining mud and grit wearing away the teeth of the belt in a hurry. The ring design seems to have fantastic mud clearing, but still.

No issues at all, if it's properly thick and sticky mud then it can build up if the belt and sprocket can't clear it, but I've not had that issue.

This is typical of my winter riding (4-5 months of the year) and it has zero issues with this.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 14:26 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:
melanthius wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:

No issues at all, if it's properly thick and sticky mud then it can build up if the belt and sprocket can't clear it, but I've not had that issue.

This is typical of my winter riding (4-5 months of the year) and it has zero issues with this.

Well I'm shocked. That's amazing if it holds up that well under THESE conditions--I want one! LOL

I'll bet that belt drive is less destroyed and worn from the muddy conditions than a typical chain drive 12-speed. Maybe we're looking at the future of MTB drivetrain development here.

~JSV

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 14:40 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
tallpaul-s wrote:
melanthius wrote:

Well I'm shocked. That's amazing if it holds up that well under THESE conditions--I want one! LOL

I'll bet that belt drive is less destroyed and worn from the muddy conditions than a typical chain drive 12-speed. Maybe we're looking at the future of MTB drivetrain development here.

~JSV

The latest iteration of the pinion gearbox is 5-6 years old now, if it was the future, way more manufacturers cloud be using it. As it happens, manufacturers are dropping it as they only sell a fraction of models with one than without.

Tom Howard, pinion gearbox bike owner.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 15:53 Quote
Yep that's the unfortunate truth, I don't think they'll ever be mass market, you need a frame that can only fit a few models, and there's unlikely to ever be any trickle down - they will always be an expensive, niche option, with (minor) downsides that a most people won't be able to see beyond.

If Shimano or SRAM developed one then maybe, but it's unlikely due to a tiny market and high cost.

I like niche, unusual stuff (not quite as much as you Tom ) but it's not for everyone.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 17:43 Quote
Gearbox that mounts where to motor would go on an ebike? Battery cavity becomes a SWAT box big enough for a couple foot-long subs?

Then at least you wouldn’t need a frame designed JUST around the gearbox.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 21:41 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
You two wouldn’t know class if it bit you in the ass.

What's the whole "vintage fork offset" joke about? Is that a 51 offset? Screw that, I have a 51mm offset on my Stumpy and I think it helps the handling better.

BTW I love the bike. 9/10 Suitable for "banging" lol lol lol

~JSV

Ha! Me too tup shorter offsets feel twitchy to me. I didn’t think I would notice... but ... I do

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
melanthius wrote:
Gearbox that mounts where to motor would go on an ebike? Battery cavity becomes a SWAT box big enough for a couple foot-long subs?

with the ongoing system integration on ebikes, we are about to see both molded into one soon, presumably from shimano.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
nullzwo wrote:
melanthius wrote:

with the ongoing system integration on ebikes, we are about to see both molded into one soon, presumably from shimano.

I’m holding out for that magic carpet ride

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
nullzwo wrote:
melanthius wrote:

I’m holding out for that magic carpet ride

I’m waiting for the lift assisted flow trail uphill ebike with a hydrostatic transmission and a worm gear drivetrain

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 14:49 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Nice... how you like the Teravails?

Had a quick hour on the bike today, 20psi front and rear - they roll really well, on gravel/hardpack and tarmac. Nice and comfy over annoying small bumps too, I could probably drop a few psi without too much issue.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
Nice! Might look into those for plussy business.

Annnnnd..
Worms chef? Really. Like worms can drive anything.... let alone trains. Facepalm

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011068
Mobile Version of Website