Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 6:05 Quote
Yeah I’m sure they are great frames but with a 72’ sta? I’d shop around.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
Ok so I am struggling really badly with hand pump on my Ragley. I haven't been able to ride as much as I would like over the past 6 months due to life. I tried RevGrips and they did nothing for me. The fork is an old Fox Talas 34 converted to Float air spring. It seems to be in good shape and I have played around with rebound to try to improve. Anyone have any suggestions? New grips? Core workouts (I do some but probably not enough)? Hand workouts? New forks? It used to be only that I would be struggling by the end of pretty decent descents not it is doesn't take much.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
Is your front end high enough ?

Are you looking down as opposed to looking forward in your seated position?

Massive fan of this ^^^^ my goto

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 8:52 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Is your front end high enough ?

Are you looking down as opposed to looking forward in your seated position?

Massive fan of this ^^^^ my goto

I think it is high enough.

What is that Powerball?

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:41 Quote
from the cheapest to the most expensive:

-try to run the brake levers more horizontal
-a little bit less pressure in the front tire, less air in the fork
-push on grips
-vibrocore or carbon bar
-service the fork
-new fork

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
Heavy-ass gyroscope - shes the baddest variant, lighter & plastic variants available too

Highly recommend, I’ll always have one if I am able to use it.
Used one for the last 12+ yrs, absolutely the best thing you can do whilst relaxing..

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
Brodybro29 wrote:
from the cheapest to the most expensive:

-try to run the brake levers more horizontal
-a little bit less pressure in the front tire, less air in the fork
-push on grips
-vibrocore or carbon bar
-service the fork
-new fork

Fork has been serviced recently. Tried a Vibrocore bar a while ago. I noticed no difference. I'll mess with the rest.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
Ok so I am struggling really badly with hand pump on my Ragley. I haven't been able to ride as much as I would like over the past 6 months due to life. I tried RevGrips and they did nothing for me. The fork is an old Fox Talas 34 converted to Float air spring. It seems to be in good shape and I have played around with rebound to try to improve. Anyone have any suggestions? New grips? Core workouts (I do some but probably not enough)? Hand workouts? New forks? It used to be only that I would be struggling by the end of pretty decent descents not it is doesn't take much.

What brakes do you have?
I find brakes to have a huge effect on my arm pump. I have virtually none with TRP DHR Evo brakes, but when I switch to my another bike with 7 year old XT's I get some arm pump.

I too did not have any luck with Revgrips (actually made it worse because I would subconsciously grip harder), and Vibrocore did not help either.
I did notice improvement when I switched to sensus Meaty Paw grips, but I got big ol mitts.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
What brakes do you have?
I find brakes to have a huge effect on my arm pump. I have virtually none with TRP DHR Evo brakes, but when I switch to my another bike with 7 year old XT's I get some arm pump.

I too did not have any luck with Revgrips (actually made it worse because I would subconsciously grip harder), and Vibrocore did not help either.
I did notice improvement when I switched to sensus Meaty Paw grips, but I got big ol mitts.

Magura MT7s with 203mm Hope front rotor and 180mm Shimano XT( I think?) rear.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
What brakes do you have?

Play around with the brake lever angles and the lever throw. My hands were cramping on my fat bike while i wasn't on my regular hardtail on the same trails. My arm pump was much reduced once i adjusted the brakes to be more similar to whats on my regular hardtail, i.e. flatter blade angle and blades closer to the bar. But do what feels good for you on your other bikes (if you have others, if not just mess with those settings to see if you can find one that feels better).

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 13:07 Quote
freestyIAM wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
What brakes do you have?

Play around with the brake lever angles and the lever throw. My hands were cramping on my fat bike while i wasn't on my regular hardtail on the same trails. My arm pump was much reduced once i adjusted the brakes to be more similar to whats on my regular hardtail, i.e. flatter blade angle and blades closer to the bar. But do what feels good for you on your other bikes (if you have others, if not just mess with those settings to see if you can find one that feels better).

+1

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 16:53 Quote
93EXCivic wrote:

You mentioned you haven't had as much time to ride as you would like...probably has a lot to do with it...I do a lot of physical hard work with my hands and arms and I notice after long hard periods of work my riding and bike handling become much better...I have been also fortunate to be able to ride pretty regularly as well but if I slack on upper body strengthening in one way or another I notice a little more struggling with handling the gnar..Hopefully life will let up and let you shred it more..

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 18:37 Quote
More time on the bike helps more than anything, but remaining quite active off the bike keeps you closer to where you need to be as far as fatigue and arm pump. I have a pretty active job, so I find if I’m away from the bike for a week or so, the next time I’m back on it I’m not a complete mess.

Those gyroscopes def help with grip strength. I’ve used them in the past with great results. As long as you have the coordination and mobility in you wrists, you should see some progress.

And def mess around with the brake lever angle and throw like has been mentioned. Helped me out a lot when I first got into park riding by rotating them up so they’re somewhere between 45* and parallel to the ground. Prior to doing this, I would almost have to peel my hands from the bars after a lap the arm pump would be so bad.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 18:42 Quote

Got out on this for a quick one tonight after a few changes.

Lyrik ultimate 160 with some 50mm rise bars and swapped out the stans/hope wheels to WAO Union/i9 1/1 wrapped with 2.6 minions.

Also swapped the 11spd Gx for a 12spd TRP setup.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:

You mentioned you haven't had as much time to ride as you would like...probably has a lot to do with it...I do a lot of physical hard work with my hands and arms and I notice after long hard periods of work my riding and bike handling become much better...I have been also fortunate to be able to ride pretty regularly as well but if I slack on upper body strengthening in one way or another I notice a little more struggling with handling the gnar..Hopefully life will let up and let you shred it more..

Yeah having a toddler and trying to build a garage/redo the backyard really eats into free time. Plus I set a stupid mileage goal for myself last year and found my self grinding on the gravel bike a lot more then riding mountain bikes. That was a mistake. Hopefully between not doing that and finishing the garage will let me have more time ride mountain bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016176
Mobile Version of Website