Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 23:24 Quote
Cool! I am 56 and I never owned a mtb until 2010. I got the virus because my ski friends used to ride their bikes in the summer and I ended up going with them. A few years ago I discovered that I have a disease that requires regular surgery, once every 6 months or so. For about a year and a half I didn't ride a bike at all, then I gradually got back to a new normal. After each intervention I need 2 months to recover my riding skills and physical condition, so hardtails are my weapons of choice... My first bike was a 26er bought for 200 euros from a friend, around 2011, and since then I have changed a few hardtails, which have become more and more aggressive over the years. The basis of inspiration was exactly this thread and thanks to it I went through all the evolution that hardtails have gone through in recent years and gradually I became an experimenter and a kind of early adopter myself... Lately I bought a full suspension bike and now I use hardtails less than before, probably about half the time, but they still remain my favorite bikes. If I were forced to give up all the bikes and keep only one, that would probably be a hardtail...

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 23:37 Quote
Yeah these threads definitely impacted my bank balance. I love FS bikes but just finding things a bit meh at the moment with regards to quality/frame lifespan etc. So I have been mostly on my Hello Dave or Moxie. They ride great and with the lack of maintenance and still being pretty fast and capable bikes it is a win win. Honestly like chucking the Hello Dave down some local steeps, the ride feel and reward is pretty damn good. When things are rough it pushes you.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
I had a lot of fun building this one out for my younger kid. This Honzo 24 sports a 65*ha and 72*sa now, 100mm Sid, 100mm dropper which I have to figure out the cabling, and kid specific 135mm cranks driving a 30t x 11-40 1x10 drivetrain. I'd like to find a shorter stem still, but he won't fit this probably until the upcoming Spring so I've the luxury of time

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
Well I took my single speed Marino to Windrock. Before you think I'm some sort of badass rider I'm not. I'm a wheels on the ground type of guy. I'm not unskilled and excel on slow technical riding but I'm no speed demon and the single speed normally limits my top speed. My son has been riding with an enduro team and the team went to Windrock last weekend. I'm not about to just sit around while everyone else has fun. My son has been using my trail bike for Enduro and his old stumpjumper is just too small for me to ride. So that left me with my singlespeed hardtail.

It's pretty aggressive Geo wise with a 65 static HTA with a 140mm fork. I ran the DVO diamond at 160mm for the day which slackened me out to 64 degrees. Put about 5 extra PSI in the rear and sent it down the mountain.

Talladega was first. The braking bumps into the berms were like riding a jackhammer. After the pre-ride and re-ride I felt comfortable taking it at a slow pace the rest of the day. Talladega wants speed and the teeth rattling had me on the brakes most of the trail. Talladega was not fun on the hard tail.

Drop out was my favorite trail to run on my bike. Steep with a little chunk it didn't feel like I needed to go mach 5 to enjoy the trail. I found a good balance of enough speed to smooth out the trail without feeling like I was in danger of killing myself.

The top part of Reach Around was my favorite part of the mountain I rode. Loved those big steep switch backs those were so much fun to ride. Part of way through the trail you get to a point where you go straight down a raw chunky slippery free fall down the mountain for maybe 1/8th mile. This part I really felt the lack of bite with my tires which are mixed surface tires. The Smart Sams give up braking traction for a continuous center knob which is great on asphalt but sucks trying to go down steep chunky slippery terrain. I either had to live with sliding down the mountain on the verge of washing out my front tire or ride down it at an uncomfortably fast pace. There was no good middle ground.

By the time we made it to Cave Boy my hands were shot. I was just about out of braking power in my hands as they were killing me and I just did the one slow stop and go pre-ride with the boys.

I didn't set any land speed records but I survived and never crashed and had a lot of fun. If I go again I'll swap out XC tires for good gripping rubber and add cush core at a minimum. 4 piston brakes would be nice to have too to keep my hands from killing me at the end of the day.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Sounds like time well spent.

Have a look at Magura MT Trail stoppers. That should be a decent upgrade for not that much cash.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
Man rubber for the win every time on anything , even remotely, bike specific . That extra speed everywhere , is too enticing to resist even on gash rubber . Quick way to the hospital is to be avoided lol

Fun to upgrade, return and pin it

Well jealous here tup

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 14:06 Quote
Nice Marino, I took my Marino Cabala down some "DH" track here on the front range a couple weeks ago while my FS was down for some service. It was rough, but definitely made me appreciate going a bit slower and being very deliberate with line choice, vs. just go fast and smash over stuff.
Check out Delium tires if you're looking for budget meaty rubber.
I've been riding a Rugged All-Around https://www.deliumtires.com/products/rugged?variant=40290055782608 on the front for a few weeks now and impressed given the price. Grips well, seems to be wearing well. It's basically a budget Assegai. Deli Tire in Indonesia, the mfg, has been in the tire game for like 50 years and they've gotten good reviews from the "pros"

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 17:23 Quote
Hell yeah man! Sounds pretty baddass to me!

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 23:57 Quote
such a good looking marino

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 2:46 Quote
JonDud wrote:
I've owned both a fully and a hardtail; recently sold my Bronson frame because full suspension just isn't for me.

I like to mash the pedals and feel the bike lurch forward.

The increased tactile sensations of pumping, manuals, sliding the back end, etc.... You can't match it.

Also, single speeding has become pretty important for keeping me motivated to ride. Shifting, sitting, and spinning is not it.

No dropper, no gears, hard tail.... I should probably try full rigid.

I'm looking to revert back to cable-actuated disc brakes next! My old hydraulic XT brakes are for sale right now with the intention of picking up some BB7's after they sell LOL.

“retro” is a sensibility that has obvious appeal as a shelter from the relentless onslaught of the new.
If you're going mechanical brake. Get the Paul clampers.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
JonDud wrote:
I've owned both a fully and a hardtail; recently sold my Bronson frame because full suspension just isn't for me.

I like to mash the pedals and feel the bike lurch forward.

The increased tactile sensations of pumping, manuals, sliding the back end, etc.... You can't match it.

Also, single speeding has become pretty important for keeping me motivated to ride. Shifting, sitting, and spinning is not it.

No dropper, no gears, hard tail.... I should probably try full rigid.

I'm looking to revert back to cable-actuated disc brakes next! My old hydraulic XT brakes are for sale right now with the intention of picking up some BB7's after they sell LOL.

“retro” is a sensibility that has obvious appeal as a shelter from the relentless onslaught of the new.
If you're going mechanical brake. Get the Paul clampers.

Another baller mechanical set to look out for are the Growtac Equals. A little cheaper and lighter than Pauls, and allegedly more stopping power. Short pull only, but there are plenty of stellar short pull flat bar levers out there. Not a ton of reviews yet, but maybe you can guinea pig them for us? Smile

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 10:44 Quote

Best place to be

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
That looks racy in a radical way.tup

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
That looks racy in a radical way.tup

Oh man. That head angle is way too steep. Sagged it’s going to steer like an XC bike. At bottom out like a dirt jumper.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
Question for all you hardtail veterans.
Rear tire selection for best balance between flat resistance and comfort?
Dual ply casings vs larger volume thinner casings.

For the longest time I was riding Exo+ rekon 2.6 on the rear which seemed to be a good balance while also having good weight and rolling resistance. Recently I've been hardtailing more and riding more aggressively, so I started to run into some pinch flats. I swapped to a DD Aggressor 2.5" which has been mostly good but I still managed to get a pinch flat the other day. Part of it I feel like is that the "2.5" is really more like a 2.3. What I really want is a DD tire in 2.6" which not many brands offer, and those who do seem to only offer them in very slow rolling tread patterns that I really wouldn't want on the rear. But maybe a trail casing in a "true" 2.6 might be enough (since the 2.6" rekon I had been running really measured out to about 2.4")

Before anyone suggests it, I do run inserts, and do not want to just add more air pressure, since when I run higher pressures the bike is more out of control which inhibits my ability to ride more aggressively.

What have been your rear tires of choice?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012250
Mobile Version of Website