Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ooooof it is official... I cannot ride Hardtails as aggressively as before the leg break... Let it go full speed today on some chunky droppy trails and it was shocking to the leg. Hopefully that subsides at some point.

Bummer man. Unit for mellow playtime and murmur or big boy stuff. Take the cue and be careful, keep the leg going!

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 21:17 Quote
Indeed. At least I can still ride at all!!! Glad for that.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 22:34 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
Question for all you hardtail veterans.
Rear tire selection for best balance between flat resistance and comfort?
Dual ply casings vs larger volume thinner casings.

For the longest time I was riding Exo+ rekon 2.6 on the rear which seemed to be a good balance while also having good weight and rolling resistance. Recently I've been hardtailing more and riding more aggressively, so I started to run into some pinch flats. I swapped to a DD Aggressor 2.5" which has been mostly good but I still managed to get a pinch flat the other day. Part of it I feel like is that the "2.5" is really more like a 2.3. What I really want is a DD tire in 2.6" which not many brands offer, and those who do seem to only offer them in very slow rolling tread patterns that I really wouldn't want on the rear. But maybe a trail casing in a "true" 2.6 might be enough (since the 2.6" rekon I had been running really measured out to about 2.4")

Before anyone suggests it, I do run inserts, and do not want to just add more air pressure, since when I run higher pressures the bike is more out of control which inhibits my ability to ride more aggressively.

What have been your rear tires of choice?

The Eliminator comes in 29x2.6 with a gravity casing. My trail casing eliminator is a true 2.6, and it's an affordable tire compared to maxxis.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 22:40 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:

You want something high volume with a sturdy carcass and not too draggy...WTB Trail Boss 2.6 in Tough/Fast or Tough/High Grip casing comes to mind.

I've used the 2.25 version for a couple of years as that's as big as the rear of my former ht would fit. The newer version has a bit more pronounced knobs but is still a trail tyre. Only downside is that they tend to wear a bit fast and the tough casings are proper heavy. WTB tends to get the width true to size or even bigger.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 15:45 Quote
scmalex wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:

For the longest time I was riding Exo+ rekon 2.6 on the rear which seemed to be a good balance while also having good weight and rolling resistance. Recently I've been hardtailing more and riding more aggressively, so I started to run into some pinch flats. I swapped to a DD Aggressor 2.5" which has been mostly good but I still managed to get a pinch flat the other day. Part of it I feel like is that the "2.5" is really more like a 2.3. What I really want is a DD tire in 2.6" which not many brands offer, and those who do seem to only offer them in very slow rolling tread patterns that I really wouldn't want on the rear. But maybe a trail casing in a "true" 2.6 might be enough (since the 2.6" rekon I had been running really measured out to about 2.4")

Before anyone suggests it, I do run inserts, and do not want to just add more air pressure, since when I run higher pressures the bike is more out of control which inhibits my ability to ride more aggressively.

The Eliminator comes in 29x2.6 with a gravity casing. My trail casing eliminator is a true 2.6, and it's an affordable tire compared to maxxis.

I tend to forget about specialized! read a lot of reviews of those and the butcher and found a few reviews praising their damping as well. That was enough for me, hit up my buddy at a specialized shop and ordered a 2.6" Butcher trail front and Eliminator gravity rear.
I would have tried WTB if they had a light casing 2.6" Vigilante or Convict available to go with the trail boss. My OCD would not allow me to do anything different lol
If the spec tires don't work out maybe I'll try some schwalbes next.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
Butchers are damn good.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 17:06 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

That's how injuries work. It makes you respect the pros who get injured and get right back to their A-game.

I bruised/cheese grated the hell out of my right knee over a year ago and still don't have full confidence back. Luckily my speed is doing well, but ballsy sends have declined significantly.... It makes no sense because my injury happened on a BORING flat turn.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 18:19 Quote
JonDud wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

That's how injuries work. It makes you respect the pros who get injured and get right back to their A-game.

I bruised/cheese grated the hell out of my right knee over a year ago and still don't have full confidence back. Luckily my speed is doing well, but ballsy sends have declined significantly.... It makes no sense because my injury happened on a BORING flat turn.

So true. Mine was a very lackluster event as well. I need a good fabricated story... maybe attacked by a moose or something

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
Why is it always the boring things that cause the most damage. My worst was a play turn practicing for a dh race back in 2000… dislocated shoulder and a fractured collarbone… not a great story. Just sort of happened.

I like the idea of a fantastic story.

You got dibs on moose attack whilst skateboarding in the world east gnarlest bowl.

I’ll work on mine….

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:25 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Why is it always the boring things that cause the most damage. My worst was a play turn practicing for a dh race back in 2000… dislocated shoulder and a fractured collarbone… not a great story. Just sort of happened

The worst thing about this, is that you don't really have any "lessons" to be learned.... You just get nervous now LOL.

What lesson was I supposed to learn from having a cartoonish accident on a simple right-hand turn?

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
It is a funny thing. I was just thinking the other day that of the trails I ride regularly, the one that probably has the greatest risk of injury for me is this local green trail: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/hokonui-water-race-trail/

Its a main 2-way through-trail (shared by walkers and the odd deer) which provides access to steeper more technical trails branching off it, but has fast flowing downhill sections where you can carry a lot of speed, combined with blind corners and occasional tree fall etc.

Its not a difficult trail at all, but combining high speed with blind corners and mixed two-way traffic... I've had a few close calls!

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
Complacency , high speed, riding alone in back country trail that no more than a few people use a month, 12 broken bones and a pneumothorax and barely getting out alive was my last injury less than a year ago...Bones all heeled but mentally I will never be back, back riding pretty fast and hard but find myself backing off a bit on risk and not trusting myself\f, ...the trail .... or my bike....

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 20:27 Quote
I think we need to rename this thread.

The Geriatric Hardtails....

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 20:39 Quote
Related discussion from nsmb article back in January, https://nsmb.com/articles/where-have-all-chin-bars-gone/

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I think we need to rename this thread.

The Geriatric Hardtails....

lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022922
Mobile Version of Website