PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 22:55 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I think we need to rename this thread.

The Geriatric Hardtails....

Sooner or later we have to face that.

Just out of curiosity ... How many of you are under 30?...

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 23:54 Quote
Probably none. I'm 32.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 0:04 Quote
29 lol ...But I'm definitely a hardtail noob (even if my first MTB was a hardtail) and I still ride my FS bike 50% of the time.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 5:10 Quote
48 years young here.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 5:37 Quote
37. Been here for *checks* just short of 22 years…

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:02 Quote
My new (to me) Rootdown. XL, fits like a glove for me at 6'2. The tall(er) stack height really makes a difference for lanky folks like me.

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
44, and still shredding (my knees)

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:38 Quote
63 but think I'm 23, then it all goes wrong

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
kemo-725 wrote:
63 but think I'm 23, then it all goes wrong

You rule

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 7:17 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Probably none. I'm 32.

You old bugger!
I'm 31 haha
That Rootdown is hot

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
Well, here goes - first time caller, long time listener n'all that

Built this size s Moto Loco up recently - kind of figured id just butcher my other hardtail for it but there's as many new parts as used on there... Pleased with how its turned out so far.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

And yes - I'm 48!!
Cheers

Chris

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 9:11 Quote
Thats rad ^^^ 58 here , still pushing hard and out riding most the whippersnappers..its all about intestinal fortitude.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 9:45 Quote
Buggyr333 wrote:
scmalex wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
Question for all you hardtail veterans.
Rear tire selection for best balance between flat resistance and comfort?
Dual ply casings vs larger volume thinner casings.

For the longest time I was riding Exo+ rekon 2.6 on the rear which seemed to be a good balance while also having good weight and rolling resistance. Recently I've been hardtailing more and riding more aggressively, so I started to run into some pinch flats. I swapped to a DD Aggressor 2.5" which has been mostly good but I still managed to get a pinch flat the other day. Part of it I feel like is that the "2.5" is really more like a 2.3. What I really want is a DD tire in 2.6" which not many brands offer, and those who do seem to only offer them in very slow rolling tread patterns that I really wouldn't want on the rear. But maybe a trail casing in a "true" 2.6 might be enough (since the 2.6" rekon I had been running really measured out to about 2.4")

Before anyone suggests it, I do run inserts, and do not want to just add more air pressure, since when I run higher pressures the bike is more out of control which inhibits my ability to ride more aggressively.

What have been your rear tires of choice?

The Eliminator comes in 29x2.6 with a gravity casing. My trail casing eliminator is a true 2.6, and it's an affordable tire compared to maxxis.

I tend to forget about specialized! read a lot of reviews of those and the butcher and found a few reviews praising their damping as well. That was enough for me, hit up my buddy at a specialized shop and ordered a 2.6" Butcher trail front and Eliminator gravity rear.
I would have tried WTB if they had a light casing 2.6" Vigilante or Convict available to go with the trail boss. My OCD would not allow me to do anything different lol
If the spec tires don't work out maybe I'll try some schwalbes next.
Thanks for the input everyone!

are you running inserts with the gravity casing? i thought i remembered you were using the tannus tube armor, were you still pinch flatting even with the tube armor?

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
37 and honestly, just to poor for a steel full susser.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
scmalex wrote:

The Eliminator comes in 29x2.6 with a gravity casing. My trail casing eliminator is a true 2.6, and it's an affordable tire compared to maxxis.

I tend to forget about specialized! read a lot of reviews of those and the butcher and found a few reviews praising their damping as well. That was enough for me, hit up my buddy at a specialized shop and ordered a 2.6" Butcher trail front and Eliminator gravity rear.
I would have tried WTB if they had a light casing 2.6" Vigilante or Convict available to go with the trail boss. My OCD would not allow me to do anything different lol
If the spec tires don't work out maybe I'll try some schwalbes next.
Thanks for the input everyone!

are you running inserts with the gravity casing? i thought i remembered you were using the tannus tube armor, were you still pinch flatting even with the tube armor?

Yeah Inserts w/ DD casing right now. I only had gotten one flat with that set up, but that was enough to get me yearning for better, plus the lack of volume with the DD aggressor added to that.

30 here btw.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022440
Mobile Version of Website