Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
pyromaniac wrote:
Probably none. I'm 32.

You were more or less right. tup

I'm 56, btw

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 15:14 Quote
51 here..... looking like we may need to re name the thread
Aggresive oldfarts on Hardtails Posting !

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 15:52 Quote
I don't own a particularly aggressive hardtail, nor do I post here often, but I'm 17 and love a good hardtail! I promise to keep the scene alive!

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 16:59 Quote
22 here! Do not feel it though. Maybe that's the hardtail talking Beer

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 17:30 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
22 here! Do not feel it though. Maybe that's the hardtail talking Beer

Just you wait, whippersnapper.

41 here.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 17:48 Quote
39 and holding onto it for two more months for dear life

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 18:05 Quote
Before you know it you'll be 60. Just don't slack off and you'll be fine. I switched to singlespeed so I don't get soft, and it seems to be working.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 18:52 Quote
Remember that time on a bike isn’t taken off your lifespan and time in a car counts double.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 19:51 Quote
Let's see if we can steer this ship back from the A/S/L check...
Marino mullet (again), E13 cheese because I had the wheels on hand, OneUp stuff, GX stuff, Codes, 165mm SX cranks (short, cheap and available), DMR Defy stem because the Lyrik (150) was cut super short for a prior YT so needed a low stack.
Very fun, climbs well enough, plows and turns amazing, it's fairly heavy for what it is but that just keeps me from getting the full on dadbod.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 20:25 Quote
Course correction ... but A/S/L shows your age. ... AOL chat anyone? Ha!

Cool ride. I feel like all hardtails should be described as "it plows".

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
DJ-24 wrote:
I switched to singlespeed so I don't get soft, and it seems to be working.

Single speeding is the most important thing I've encountered regarding bicycles.

Everyone reading this should at least TRY it for a week or two on your hardtail. Buy a chain tensioner and a gear combination that gives you about 52 gear-inches.

If your initial reaction is, "Oh no way, single speeders are supreme athletes, I am not." You will be SHOCKED at how strong you are when you cannot be tempted by a shifter to sit down and spin your way up a hill. You aim for the hill with momentum and carry it through to the top.

And if you get off the bike and push, well.... It's because you brought your single speed - so who cares?

If you're on a mellow descent and spinning out, then you can't go any faster; so relax a bit and take in the scenery.

It's quieter, lighter, cheaper, your handlebars look cleaner, and you won't rip your derailleur off a rock.

I'm kicking around the idea of taking my SS up to Hiline trail in Sedona soon to get the full experience.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
Going from 12 to 1 is a big leap, maybe I'll be a bit more incremental and go from 12 to 10, then maybe 10 to 7, then maybe 7 to 1. The hills around here are steep and the air is thin! lol ...I used to ride fixed, no brakes only skids, on 853 steel before kids when we lived in the city, the hipster sensibilities were strong in 2008, but Denver is flat as shit, don't let John fool you, there's no rocky mountains there it's basically Kansas. Now I've got kids, mortgage, responsibilities, fewer options, I need gears, I want options.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 8:03 Quote
chacou wrote:
Going from 12 to 1 is a big leap, maybe I'll be a bit more incremental and go from 12 to 10, then maybe 10 to 7, then maybe 7 to 1. The hills around here are steep and the air is thin!

You will surprise yourself. I didn't think I could clear any of my hills on SS.... But I could. The shifter just made me lazy.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
I'm curious if anyone else here with a Marino has noticed very little contact area on the hangers for the derailleur b knuckle?

There's only like a mm of contact, compared to my other bikes (running SRAM UDH hangers) where there's plenty of confidence inspiring contact. I guess you get what you pay for, I'm thinking these Marino hangers will not last long, and I'll probably need to get something machined locally as a replacement. Maybe Wheels Mfg has something that would fit.
For this reason I've thought that single speed might end up being in the cards eventually.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
This is clearly the message I've been waiting for to tell me what to do with my Shan. It's a great bike but hasn't had the same allure since I built up my Yelli Screamy. It's already set up as my mud bike, and making it a single-speed will both lean into that use-case and further differentiate in in the collection. Should make it much more likely that I'll choose to ride it on occasion!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011752
Mobile Version of Website