Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 8:06 Quote
2.5" DH Casing on 30mm is the sweet spot for me

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Now that said, I absolutely love 2.8-3.0 on long slower tech xc or chunky blues that don’t require high speeds and berm shcralping. Which is what I am riding mostly at the moment.

This is how a lot of my trails are. I am tempted to build a 27.5+ wheel for the back of my Ragley.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
30mm ID and 2.4" maxxis tires, and they run narrow....

I don't care for traction as much as I love carried speed.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
35mm ID with 2.6. Like the Bigwig better in 27.5+ than in 29er mode. Been with 2.8 but it's less precise and wall thickness is too low. Had many pinches and 'snakebites' with tubeless repairs. But I love the grip and how much sting they take out of the tech here. Will go 2.5 next.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Now that said, I absolutely love 2.8-3.0 on long slower tech xc or chunky blues that don’t require high speeds and berm shcralping. Which is what I am riding mostly at the moment.

I did a lot of riding in Vermont and New Hampshire this past week or so and this is definitely the application where I felt it would help. I would have paid good money for a plus sized wheel setup. Speed was definitely not a priority.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 14:06 Quote
If you are looking for that sort of HT frame I can recommend the RSD Sergeant (if you can stomach alu).

Proper 27.5+ (I run 3" but can go to 4"!), can go to 29 x 2.6, 140mm fork (I run a lowered 36), 65 HTA and rides and looks practically indestructible.

I have it as my do-it-all bike so also gets used as winter commuter, backup to my bigger FS and even fully-bagged up for trips away (they make a rigid fork for it with bike-packing mounts and clearance for those 4" x 27.5+ tires!).

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 16:00 Quote
Off topic question, but has anyone with a custom Marino frame had any luck selling it? I recently got a new frame from them, which is a slightly modified version of my first frame I had made. I don’t really have any use for the first one since it’s nearly identical besides a few geometry tweaks. My only hold up is how specific my frame is for me ( 62 head angle,120 mm fork,450 reach) with a new frame from them being sub $400 I’d only be asking like $100-150 for the frame but is there even a market for used Marino frames since they’re all so specific?

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 16:10 Quote
Tayrob wrote:
Off topic question, but has anyone with a custom Marino frame had any luck selling it? I recently got a new frame from them, which is a slightly modified version of my first frame I had made. I don’t really have any use for the first one since it’s nearly identical besides a few geometry tweaks. My only hold up is how specific my frame is for me ( 62 head angle,120 mm fork,450 reach) with a new frame from them being sub $400 I’d only be asking like $100-150 for the frame but is there even a market for used Marino frames since they’re all so specific?

I think in this market that anything will sell and you should be asking for more.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 20:30 Quote
Tayrob wrote:

Yes, free copywriting. “Progressive steel hardtail frame $150! 120mm fork included extra. #bikepacking #gravel #enduro”

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 21:36 Quote
that geo sounds really specific, but there will be someone willing to experiment. it could take some time tho.

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 5:40 Quote

Really enjoying this bike right now. Took it out every day of this week so far. In fact I haven't been doing this much mountainbiking in a long time.
It offers a really nice balance of dated geo, heavy tyres with lots of rolling resistance and a considerable lack of gears.
Perfect for the local trails* and the way I want to ride this thing.

* the trail pictured is not representative Wink

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 7:11 Quote
Tayrob wrote:

Shameless plug lol (I jest..)

Their needs to be a Marino specific thread .. if there isn’t one already, everyone benefits

I’m hoping the abundance of Marino’s bring down the extortionate pricing from other manufacturers, small businesses will suffer, pricing will dive at some point, who would waste their hard earned on an expensive new frame when cheaper / secondhand bikes are now readily available.

I’ll never buy a new new frame again - some outstanding bargains out there

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
Tyres/tires ?

I ride the funnest tyres for the trails I ride, take advice from those that ride the trails you want to ride, we all have our ‘go to’s’ , but it’s largely academic here , what happened to all the polls? They took care of this periodically

.. it’s a cyclic question that will forever keep popping up, so when in Rome.. 2.6 is the new 2.5 lol

I’m happy with sub ‘30mm id’ rims, with smaller rubber , running two wheelsets (30mm & smaller) per bike currently - 30-35 id is max for me , would like to try a bigger rim long-term

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 8:31 Quote
Tayrob wrote:

There is a market for it. I'd ask a bit more because the wait is so long and other used aggro hardtails are at least $500. I bought a used marino FS frame. It is not exactly as how i'd order it, but it rides good enough. I am still tempted to order a custom hardtail, but I would not get another FS bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013027
Mobile Version of Website