Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 17:45 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Looks ok to me ASIDEFROMTHATHEINOUSASSBAG!!!!!

This is what the internet is for. Thank you.

Did anyone else have to sound that out loud?

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Buggyr333 wrote:
rahrider wrote:
Second that.

What's the offset on your rigid? Gotta say, the Waltworks bikes are such works of art

It's a 37mm offset (27.5" wheels)
Surprisingly stable.
The rigid HTA is somewhere around 64.5d

Any idea what your fork and frame each weigh? Is it a tapers or straight steerer? Ever try it as a mullet?

Frame is about 6.5lb if I remember properly. Fork is somewhere around 3lb. Tapered steerer, and no I have not mulleted it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 19:20 Quote
Some people called me hardcore and I got a few funny looks in the lift lines, so I think this can go in here. I was close to throwing my rigid fork on for some more extra fun as well, but didn't know if the park staff would throw me out and I didn't want to spoil my daughter's first park experience
photo

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 20:53 Quote
I broke a Reserve rear rim that was on my Ti Switchback after over 4 years and hundreds or thousands of rim strikes and less than a week after dropping it off at my lbs I got warrantied a whole brand new wheel with Hydra hub... I thought for sure I was only gonna get a hoop..tup

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 5:22 Quote
Dang. I just broke a weareone rim after a month of use. It will warranty but itll still cost me 150$ after shipping and rebuild. Guess i chose wrong. Ive been on carbon rovals for 5 years and never broke one

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 5:56 Quote
Wow. I have heard great things about those reserves

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
If it makes you feel any better I broke a Light Bicycle AM930s after 7 rides a couple months ago.
Just got the replacement last week (took about 2 months)
broke the replacement one in 5 rides Facepalm

They are sending me a burlier rim this time.
At least I build my own wheels so all it is costing me is time.... But it makes me weary of carbon rims. Especially when I've had alloy ones that are still rolling great after years of abuse.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
never had carbon rims, but as a heavy rider i don't see how they would have any benefits over decent alloy rims. only carbon rim that has mee drooling everytime i see it, are the zipp 3zero motos as they claim to be more compliant and wow! they're sexy.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:13 Quote
Mixed experiences with plastic hoops.
Had a pair of Easton ages ago and never had an issue.
A set of Zelby came on a Propain Rage bike I had like 5 year ago and they were swiss cheese. I broke the rear one in 3 days. The wareanty kind of worked but I had to send the wheel to France for rebuild, at my expense.
Damaged the front rim shortly after.
I sold the bike so got rid of the issue.
Next bike had superheavy Hope rims that were indestructible. Just changed them when I accepted the forced transition to 27.5 for another set of Hope, the new (at that time) Fortus.
Great set of wheels but really heavy.
Next, I bought a set of Tune wheels with alloy rims. Despite being XC, or almost Trail wheels, they performed very well. At that point I was riding only Hardtail so the rear one suffered a bit, but nothing too serious.
After much thinking about it, I decided to give plastic another chance. I found the Zipp moto rims with a huge discount (still very expensive though) so based on the reviews and aesthetics, I went for it.
I am happily surprised on how they perform and their durability. They provide some weird kind of flexibility and cushion but they are not wobbly. It's hard to explain.
Would I pay £750 for each rim? Probably not.
But at half the price I just could not resist.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
carbon hoops be like 'quintuple squared' the value of my bike Facepalm

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
i'm in the US, I'd only get carbon from We Are One, NOBL, or reserve. all will get warranty replaced quickly, not willing to test anything else. Aluminum rims don't like me, the breakeven point is destroying 2 aluminum rims, so I went with a carbon WAO Union on the rear hoop.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
But getting a fully laced wheel and a brand new upgraded hub makes me feel like I saved a lot in the long run. Like I said I was only expecting to get the hoop replaced, SC even offered to give me a loaner wheel while I waited. I was very surprised. That old torch hub had been through a lot of rides in 4 plus years of use. I have heard We Are One are great with dealing with warranty as well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024843
Mobile Version of Website