Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 16:55 Quote
mayo-22 wrote:
2016 Moccasin Bend 27.5 Mid-Fat Steel Hardtail

Thats a beauty!

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 17:10 Quote
If you were building a new aggro. AM hardtail today, and were picking a wheel size, which would ya'll say is the best in today's market?

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 17:19 Quote
Aggro AM.. well, I would say 650b/27.5. solid wheelset's available at good price lists for every budget

29er awesome,but tight technical stuff might piss you off pretty quick..going up or down. Do try one though.. makes everything else seem so damn slow everywhere else!

Nothing wrong with 26, but things have moved on..

..others will undoubtedly disagree ..All imo

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 17:31 Quote
Borrowed one from the Brothers... They are a kind group those ones. Had it for a weekend,

As far as the ride its a fine machine. Felt instantly in sync... And not the boy band. ASAP i will have one.

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 17:43 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Borrowed one from the Brothers... They are a kind group those ones. Had it for a weekend,

As far as the ride its a fine machine. Felt instantly in sync... And not the boy band. ASAP i will have one.

Yes yes!

Brown/metallic gold with brown dvo yes yes

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
speshiz , thanks, I love a good tyre..

I like to hear every so often about tyres,many don't as they already have talked about them to death and back - fair one

Maxxis fanboi here, but widening my tastes at a push! HRII is my 'go to' ,exo,tr,st,maxxterrra
Shorty lined up for gloop purposes

Magic Mary up front reminds me of old 26" 2.5 high rollers and minions - Hans dampf have been lovely in the dry summer days, really liked them on the rear

Conti's on the rear, not tried Kaiser's, but some race /black chilli have been 'ok'

Yet to try WTB Convicts or the new Bonty's

Agree, but tires are somewhat like saddles, what works for one may not for another and conditions plus what the bike is being built for come into play. Thus the reasoning on me choosing a boss/ranger combo for a bike that is going to see mostly paved/packed riding. Reviews on the ranger are not that great but mainly about puncturing, so I decided to give it a go. The boss was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 22:46 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
http://m.pinkbike.com/photo/14335670/

Some of my tyres ^^

What ya running people..And why? Come on fess up!

E13 on my Chromag, got spat off yesterday .. need to swap the rear out..why? coz I need a slipperierierier rear! Bitch ploughed on and pushed the front away..Teach me to place my bodyweight correctly..

Been a Maxxis fanboy for years.
Then I tried WTB. Now I'm a WTB fanboy.

When I moved to 650b I got Maxxis HRII front and rear (EXO TR - no 3C) and they were good. Then I washed out a lot on hardpack, so I got a Minion DHF for the front. Much better for our chalky, rocky and rooty terrain. HRII supposedly works as good or better in loamy conditions or on deep and wet ground. But those are scarce round here.
Then I went for a Minion DHR II for the front because I wanted better braking traction and put the DHF in the rear. Worked great in everey condition.

(I never used Maxxis 3C tyres because the side knobs turn to Lego bricks in temperatures below 0°C. And that is just stupid. I also didn't want to change tyres just for winter.)

Then I started to get a lot of pinch flats, cutting the sidewalls of the rear tyre.

Got Huck Norris - worked brilliantly.
Then I saw a WTB Breakout Tough Fast Rolling for cheap and got a WTB Vigilante Team Issue with it for a very reasonable price.
They weigh a ton, but somehow seem to have less rolling resistance than the previous Maxxis combo. Grip on wet, slippery ground and roots is much much better. Grip on hardpack is as good, but the Vigilante feels different.
Sidewalls are much tougher than the regular EXO TR job, too.

And WTB's rubber doesn't turn to Lego bricks below 0°C, despite having a similar durometer.

Schwalbe tyres suck. The owner of my LBS rode them for years. Then tried Maxxis and was surprised how little they wear down.
A Schwalbe Hans Dampf might last just a week before losing some tread (whole knobs).

Posted: Jan 24, 2017 at 23:38 Quote
Thanks Pyro,

Value all experienced contributions, as you both have mentioned, environment and purpose play a huge part (amongst others - rim width for one..). Not often below 0°C here

Strongly believe that tyre construction quality has waned on many an occasion,over many a year!! Schwalbe and Maxxis have suffered bad ..Real bad -mass production quality control issues and the like. Too many irregularities with testing,even visual inspection's reveal flaws and imperfections. No 3C here either!

Must try WTB!

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 0:27 Quote
Snakeskin Magic Mary Trailstar up front and Supergravity Magic Mary Trailstar rear with the square flat middle knobs cut at a 45° to help rolling. Feels pretty good!

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 0:29 Quote
I like the Nobby Nics I'm running at the minute. Only the cheap compound but grip well and roll fast. Going to get another and swap the front to the rear. After several months the rear is worn down to the bottom of the sipes in places.

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 6:26 Quote
Been rolling Vigilante front and back on my Surge for probably close to two years now.

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 8:29 Quote
WTB! Love their stuff.

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
Been runnin the E13 tires. They are pretty freagin awesome.I am running the harder of the 2 compounds and find it to be super soft still.

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 8:40 Quote
Tsoxbhk wrote:
Been runnin the E13 tires. They are pretty freagin awesome.I am running the harder of the 2 compounds and find it to be super soft still.

I have one of the soft on front of my covert and its very good.... I still want to try michelin wild rock r

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 11:50 Quote
Good to feel confident about swapping out tyres/ switching brands. No easy out..

Not something I like doing,but given the feedback, I will make WTB a priority try.

Thanks for all input

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021345
Mobile Version of Website