Protecting Jumps

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Protecting Jumps
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:47 Quote
Hey, so we have a problem at the dirt jumps of our local riding area. Last summer, some paint ballers and air softers dug tunels through one of our DJ lips, knocked out another lip and turned a landing and a jump with a tunnel in it into a fort. they also put barricades at the bottom of a chute that you cant see the bottom until you commit to the chute. we got mad but rly didnt take much action and waited until winter when we could rebuild. we are finally making new jumps and are done repairing and rebuilding the line. i didnt see it in person because i crashed minutes earlier and went home but i got a call saying when my friends went to put shovels away farther up the hill and when they came back and a group of 5 or 6 guys had sledge hammers, pick axes, and shovels and where going at our jumps. the first 2 jumps which where just rebuilt and finished yesterday are now not hittable, ruined landing on the first jump and ruined lip on the second. and the fourth jump has some damage to it but it wasnt complete yet. but still a big set back. we dont know what to do or what we can do. its private property so does that help us or hurt us? one idea we had was when they come up to airsoft and paintball, call the cops and say people are shooting guns up here because most of them dont have orange tips on their gun which legals states the gun as a deadly weapon or something like that. any ideas??

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:53 Quote
are you on legal property with all the rights?

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:53 Quote
Exactly. Who's property is it if it's private?

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
EXTREMELY difficult to handle properly. Avoid police TBH.

You must get in contact (never via internet/forums) try to get a non-biased individual and talk to them in person and or over the phone.

Do that, and hope for the best. They shouldn't be doing that stuff it's not cool to modify the stuff. Why they'd build a freakin tunnel IDK but my god as if the jumps themselves wern't enough.

I wouldn't mind it AS LONG AS they don't mess up the jumps, to an extent.

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:58 Quote
hanley wrote:
are you on legal property with all the rights?
its like city owned land, they know about the jumps and are fine with them

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:59 Quote
its private property and the city has talked about it in city meetings and we are allowed to ride here because people from all over come to ride here and a few movies have had segments filmed here. also the riders bring in money to the restaurants at the shopping center a block away.

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 18:59 Quote
you could post a no trespassing sign then call cops when they trespass

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:01 Quote
StuHaight wrote:
EXTREMELY difficult to handle properly. Avoid police TBH.

You must get in contact (never via internet/forums) try to get a non-biased individual and talk to them in person and or over the phone.

Do that, and hope for the best. They shouldn't be doing that stuff it's not cool to modify the stuff. Why they'd build a freakin tunnel IDK but my god as if the jumps themselves wern't enough.

I wouldn't mind it AS LONG AS they don't mess up the jumps, to an extent.

You didn't mention that the city already knows about the jumps... so ignore what I said.

We never have rights to build anything in teh good old Virginia Washington DC area...

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:01 Quote
I should ask my city if we could...

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:02 Quote
If I were you, Id wait till there back and call the cops.. Dont complain about ruining the jumps just complain about the danger they are bringing to the area. That will shut it down fairly quick.. When the cops come just dont be idiots, have the certain ppl, we know who.. hide there trees, have ppl with their helmets on, just dont bring the attention to what you are doing. If you get sketched by the cop idea I would just have someone explain to the airsofters that you will call the cops for what they are doing then if they dont stop go for it...

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:03 Quote
i think we should talk to the city and have them put up a sign at all the entrances saying that its illegal to use airsoft guns on that land.

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:04 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
its private property and the city has talked about it in city meetings and we are allowed to ride here because people from all over come to ride here and a few movies have had segments filmed here. also the riders bring in money to the restaurants at the shopping center a block away.

Yeah, talk to the city council (for reals, don't skimp on this). Tell them that there is plenty of room for both the riders and the paintballers, but it is DANGEROUS (keyword) for the paintballers and riders to be there at the same time (collisions, stray paintballs, etc.). You could propose either a ban on the paintballing there (if there are suitable alternatives for them) or propose that the paintballers use an adjacent area.

WHATEVER YOU DO, YOU MUST TALK TO THE AUTHORITIES IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER. Make them understand that you want the best for EVERYBODY, even if you don't because it's only fair that f*ggoty paintballers (arab-killer wannabes) get their own place to "play".

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:05 Quote
just find them and beat the crap out of them

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:09 Quote
coralcorn wrote:
If I were you, Id wait till there back and call the cops.. Dont complain about ruining the jumps just complain about the danger they are bringing to the area. That will shut it down fairly quick.. When the cops come just dont be idiots, have the certain ppl, we know who.. hide there trees, have ppl with their helmets on, just dont bring the attention to what you are doing. If you get sketched by the cop idea I would just have someone explain to the airsofters that you will call the cops for what they are doing then if they dont stop go for it...

I agree with this. The best thing you can do is try and talk to them and get them to stop, that is if you don't like dealing with police. try and make yourself look like model citizens if you do talk to the police though.

p.s. maybe one of the airsofters will shoot you!! then you would definitely win. threaten to sue haha. good luck man!

Posted: Jan 3, 2011 at 19:10 Quote
DylanHunter wrote:
just find them and beat the crap out of them
just get out. that will do nothing but make the situation worse

but if you can talk the council into putting bans on paintballing/airsofting in the area and putting signs up that would be the best possible thing to do. if that fails i doubt the cops will be to happy about a bunch of aggressive people carrying sledgehammers and pickaxes and other tools Wink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031223
Mobile Version of Website