Starting Downhill

PB Forum :: Beginners
Starting Downhill
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 21:15 Quote
In the next few months I'm looking at starting to get into downhill riding around the Cairns area and I was just wondering what bike you guys think would be good for a first bike. At the moment I've got my eye on an 2011 Giant Glory 1 but I haven't had experience with any downhill bikes before (just hardtails) so I'm a little unsure on how good this bike just is.

On top of that, I was just wondering if any of you guys could give me some general tips on how to ride downhill and what safety gears required aside from the full face helmets/gloves.

Any helps appreciated guys.

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 22:15 Quote
Well, first off I suggest starting slow. I don't suggest getting a Brand new Glory for your first bike, unless you have the extra cash laying around. I guess a lot of it depends on what experience you have right now. You said that you have only ever used hardtails, what have you used them on? Downhill/freeride/all mountain stuff? or just on some flat trails, or just on the road? If you don't have much of any experience then I think you should start with something cheaper and probably used, in the off chance that you start it up and decide, its just not for you. I say go used and cheaper to start out with not only if for if you decide to not like it, but you will need the money for all the gear(which I will get to), also when I first started I crashed a lot lol and broke a few components, and had to pay to replace those as well. Unless money is not really an issue then by all means get a nice bike right off the bat. As far as THAT bike, it's a nice bike, but not the best. It could have better components.

Gear I use:
XC style helmet (for ride up)
Full face (for ride down)
Gloves
Knee/Shin Guards
Chest/Shoulder/full arm/back Protection
Dakine Nomad Hydration Pack

For pure downhill, you wont need both helmets, might not even need the Pack, but if you are going to be out for an entire day, or away from the car I suggest one, to have snacks, drinks, and most importantly tools/tubes/pumps. Also, depending on how much protection you want, a lot of guys dont wear the full upper armor, just elbow(if that) I have it all cause I a wuss (or at least thats what I tell myself). You can also get a neck brace (depending on how much you really plan on doing and how much $$ you have), I had wanted ankle protection at one point because I smashed it pretty bad, and my buddy also almost broke his ankle, he now wears them. I recommend a MINIMUM of: Fullface, knee, elbow, gloves.

Asking for general tips seems somewhat vague, but I guess if I could say one thing it would be:

Ride within your limits. Do not go faster than you think you can handle. Always stay in control(for the most part). If you think you are going too fast, then you probably are. Don't let other riders pressure you to doing anything that you are not ready to do. But I am not saying slow down and don't do something only because you are scared, because if that were the case, a lot of people wouldn't get very far. Just be your own judge.

Posted: Jan 7, 2011 at 18:18 Quote
If you're just starting DH i wouldnt recommend a full blown DH bike such as the glory, id say to get a bighit or something similar.

If you've been riding DH on your hardtail for a while and have the $$$ then by all means get the glory, however i would recommend you get a used 2010 glory over the 2011 since they're the same frame.

The spec on the 2011 glory 01 is as good as anything else out there for the price. In fact it's better in several ways, namely the fact that it comes with a boxxer R2C2 instead of the boxxer RC. It also comes with a pretty light build (my stock 2010 came in at 39.75lbs with downhill innertubes)

Posted: Jan 9, 2011 at 1:14 Quote
Oh sweet. Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might just stick with the hardtail for now and see how much I do get into it first.

And thanks about the advice on the bikes as well.

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 8:56 Quote
I agree with the other guys, getting a full out DH bike right off the bat will not do you any favors in the long run. The progression would be significantly faster but if you learn to ride downhill on a small travel bike or hardtail you become a much smoother rider and when you do make that transition onto a DH bike (there are tonnes of nice bikes other than just the glory) you will be a way way better rider.

As far as protection I wear a Full face, neck brace, gloves and knee pads. I used to wear full body armor but I find that it really doesn't do much. I still got cut and I still got bruises. For me the only things I really care about protecting are my head and neck.

Since you are just learning definitely buy full knee/shin pads unless you want some crazy pedal scars.

I would also suggest if you want to keep your feet on the pedals to buy some 5.10 mountain bike shoes. Since you are just starting you would probably like the freeride ones the most since they are slightly better looking than all the full on DH shoes.

Good luck with the riding, hopefully you love DH riding as much as I do!

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 19:47 Quote
Hey I'm looking into getting my first dh bike I ride all the time and I love dh I've done the whole hardtail to short travel bike and I'm currently riding a 2009 specialized fsrxc I'm looking into a 2011 specialized bighit 2 mostly cause I don't have any money and trying to find a job I spent all last season at highland mountain bike park riding and figuring stuff out just currious as to what your thoughs were on the subject

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 20:09 Quote
Starting with a hard tail will defiantly help you in the long run. Then move you way up to 6/7/8" bikes.

Helmet is a must, the rest of the gear is kinda of on a risk and reward basis, you wear what your comfortable with.

Personally I wear gloves, helmet, knee/shin pads all the time, and also use elbow/forearm pads if I'm going above and beyond anything I'm comfortable with.

The only advice I can give is go slow, stay in control and progress at your own speed.

Posted: Jan 17, 2011 at 20:12 Quote
HighlandRider121 wrote:
Hey I'm looking into getting my first dh bike I ride all the time and I love dh I've done the whole hardtail to short travel bike and I'm currently riding a 2009 specialized fsrxc I'm looking into a 2011 specialized bighit 2 mostly cause I don't have any money and trying to find a job I spent all last season at highland mountain bike park riding and figuring stuff out just currious as to what your thoughs were on the subject
I'd say to buy a used bike, for the price of a new bighit, you could get a pretty nice used bike.

Posted: Jan 18, 2011 at 3:12 Quote
Nobble wrote:
HighlandRider121 wrote:
I'd say to buy a used bike, for the price of a new bighit, you could get a pretty nice used bike.

would it be better in your opinion to upgrade my exsisting bike for the time being i was looking into getting a 2011 fox van r coil and looking into some longer forks

Posted: Jan 18, 2011 at 21:12 Quote
I’m not sure if taking a XC bike and trying to make it more downhilly is a great idea, although, I just got a DHX RC2 for my Pitch Pro. I’ll let others chime in on that. And for the forks, you probably are not suppose to put very long forks on that bike anyways, not sure what it has now, but most likely it is only rated for 10-20mm more. So not sure if upgrading that part would even be worth it. So maybe just continue with what you have, and save for a used DH/ Freeride bike, unless you think that is just too far away. Although, if your FSRXC is in good condition you can probably sell it and get a used bike and not have to pay too much extra.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014808
Mobile Version of Website