New to Downhill , what training is the best?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
New to Downhill , what training is the best?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 18, 2011 at 7:55 Quote
Hello

Basically i'm new to downhill and very paranoid about my weight , so i'm building my dh bike very slowly , so by the time i get fit and loose weight i will be ready.
Im exactly 6ft and exactly 19 stone = 266lb yeah i know very heavy , but i have always been stocky (well built) and don't look overlly fat.
But am very paranoid about breaking bikes and what not , hence me building a steel keewee cromo 8 with monster t and steel azonic cranks LOL.
I just want to know what i need to do in the gym as i start on monday and will be going wednesday's and friday's for now until i get used to it.
And what to eat before and after it.

Thanks allot everyone

Jason

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 11:28 Quote
Hey, sucks nobody responded. Do lots of carbio obviosly. I spend a little bit of time on the bike but I like to do lots of running and stairclimbing as my body gets lots of time riding so why do it in the gym. Its important to work all muscles. Lifting weights is very important to lean so I would maybe lift a bit more for toning so do 12-20 reps 3-5 times. I would also reccomend doing like yoga or something like that as it boosts your metabolism. I recently went from 230 pounds down to 162 and now work in a gym so I can answer many questions you may have. Plus if I dont know the answer I can always ask a personal trainer for you lol

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 11:41 Quote
brandon22111 wrote:
Hey, sucks nobody responded. Do lots of carbio obviosly. I spend a little bit of time on the bike but I like to do lots of running and stairclimbing as my body gets lots of time riding so why do it in the gym. Its important to work all muscles. Lifting weights is very important to lean so I would maybe lift a bit more for toning so do 12-20 reps 3-5 times. I would also reccomend doing like yoga or something like that as it boosts your metabolism. I recently went from 230 pounds down to 162 and now work in a gym so I can answer many questions you may have. Plus if I dont know the answer I can always ask a personal trainer for you lol

WOW! Thanks very much , yeah it sucks nobody posted , as i need the help.
Also I am very tired all the time , don't if it is my bad diet or the fact I am on anti-depressant's , or i could be on them because I am lazy.
I just feel very weak all the time , and would going to the gym stop all of this , and would i eventually get stronger.
Also what is best to eat when training?
I am starting on Wednesday next week and will be mainly using the rowing machine for the first few sessions.
I'm planning on going Monday , Wednesday and Friday , for now anyway.

Any help is very much appreciated

Thank's for your time

Jason

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:14 Quote
Going to the gym will definitely give you a lot more energy. You body is carrying 260 pounds everywhere you go. If you drop even 20 pounds think of the weight you no longer have to carry. I need a lot less sleep compared to when I was heavier. Also diet is so incredible important. Cook more at home and you know what goes into it.Eating out and meals already made have lots of butter oil and so forth. When you cook at home you can sub out unhealthy ingredients and notice very little difference. I cut out steak, pork and all that kind of stuff. I eat lots of chicken, turkey and some low fat ham. Also, make sure you drink lots of water, water completely controls your metabolism so the more water you drink the more calories you burn in your everyday life. So as I said when training lots of lean meats and veggies. Also, protien shakes in the morning and after your workout are great. You will build leaner muscle and there more muscle you have the more calories you burn in your everyday life. You will gain strength and gain so much more energy and you will need less sleep and have less to carry around. Find foods that you enjoy that are healthy. I for example love salads so I dont feel like Im on a diet or anything like that. I enjoy eating healthy so it always helps to find indulgances that are healthy

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:22 Quote
brandon22111 wrote:
Going to the gym will definitely give you a lot more energy. You body is carrying 260 pounds everywhere you go. If you drop even 20 pounds think of the weight you no longer have to carry. I need a lot less sleep compared to when I was heavier. Also diet is so incredible important. Cook more at home and you know what goes into it.Eating out and meals already made have lots of butter oil and so forth. When you cook at home you can sub out unhealthy ingredients and notice very little difference. I cut out steak, pork and all that kind of stuff. I eat lots of chicken, turkey and some low fat ham. Also, make sure you drink lots of water, water completely controls your metabolism so the more water you drink the more calories you burn in your everyday life. So as I said when training lots of lean meats and veggies. Also, protien shakes in the morning and after your workout are great. You will build leaner muscle and there more muscle you have the more calories you burn in your everyday life. You will gain strength and gain so much more energy and you will need less sleep and have less to carry around. Find foods that you enjoy that are healthy. I for example love salads so I dont feel like Im on a diet or anything like that. I enjoy eating healthy so it always helps to find indulgances that are healthy

Sounds good , well i have stopped eating takeaway food as i always had a bad stomach after anyway , also i don't drink alcohol at all.
Meat wise is only really eat chicken , have never tried steak , i eat beef very rarely and i love Tuna.
Well yeah i like salads , stuff i can't eat every day is the likes or rie bread , and porridge.
So if i just have 1 protein shake before i go to the gymm and a bannana and protein shake after the gym?
Well i do drink 2 litres of water per day without working out , that does not include juice drinks and cordial mixed drinks.

Thanks again for all the advice , also is it better to start of light and do more reps , or heavy and less reps?

Thanks again

Jason

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:36 Quote
For toning, less reps more weight. For muscle mass, heavy weight an less reps. Most important DON'T GO TOO HEAVY!!! If yu go to heavy, you may hurt yourself resulting in lots of downtime. Most importantly drink lots of water, and protein shakes help as well.

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:41 Quote
HIkonashred wrote:
For toning, less reps more weight. For muscle mass, heavy weight an less reps. Most important DON'T GO TOO HEAVY!!! If yu go to heavy, you may hurt yourself resulting in lots of downtime. Most importantly drink lots of water, and protein shakes help as well.

That doesnt make any sense. You said your toning, low reps high weight and for muscle mass heavy weight less reps? Thats the same thing. For toning, do the highest weight possible in which you can do 12-15 reps.

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:41 Quote
HIkonashred wrote:

Thanks buddy , yeah i do like to drink water, ice cold , hate english tap water though so i buy bottled.
Well yeah i want tonning mostly , and i would like to be freakishly strong LOL!
Want to loose my stomach and get healthy as i have a 2 year old son and don't want to die before he is 10.
Also would you advice ridding at a heavy weight?
My bike is built for fat people

1. keewee cromo 8 4130 steel
2. avalanche MTN-8
3. Arrow racing dhx rims
4. azonic 3 piece steel cranks
5. Aireal hubs
6.hope m4 tech brakes

and so on

Thanks again

Jason

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:45 Quote
Being out and active makes a huge difference in how you feel to. I battle/d the whole depression thing to, it got really bad for a while actually. Thats when I picked up my bike agian after a 5 year hiatis. I forgot how great it makes me feel, no longer depressed, no longer tired all the time, and the whole lazy mood just went away. Its an awsome feeling get away to hit up the mountains.

as for the workin out, start small and work up. tup

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 13:25 Quote
brandon22111 wrote:
HIkonashred wrote:

That doesnt make any sense. You said your toning, low reps high weight and for muscle mass heavy weight less reps? Thats the same thing. For toning, do the highest weight possible in which you can do 12-15 reps.

Yah, sorry typo. Sorry about that.

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 13:56 Quote
Thanks buddy , yeah i do like to drink water, ice cold , hate english tap water though so i buy bottled.
Want to loose my stomach and get healthy as i have a 2 year old son and don't want to die before he is 10.

Thanks again

Jason[/Quote]

Ya definitely ride, especially non shuttle runs. Exercise up and down. And also room temp water absorbs faster into your body.

EDIT: quote fail, sorry

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 13:59 Quote
HIkonashred wrote:

Thanks again

Jason

Ya definitely ride, especially non shuttle runs. Exercise up and down. And also room temp water absorbs faster into your body.

EDIT: quote fail, sorry[/Quote]

When it comes to water, Cold water does burn more calories though. Because it has to warm the water to turn it into urine so if you drink cold water, calorie wise it does burn more.

Posted: Mar 4, 2011 at 14:04 Quote

EDIT: quote fail, sorry[/Quote]

When it comes to water, Cold water does burn more calories though. Because it has to warm the water to turn it into urine so if you drink cold water, calorie wise it does burn more.[/Quote]

Oh cool, I never knew that. Nice.

Posted: Mar 6, 2011 at 10:12 Quote
This winter i decided to join a spinning class Redface 2 times a week instead of just pedal in the weekend with my road and/or my trail bike . At first i was a bit disgusted by the idea of pedalling a still block of steel while being closed in a room with lights and loud music, but i thought ok maybe this could help. Well it's a month i'm doin it and i can say that for dh riding is a hell of a training, totally recomended for quadriceps/calf strenght and endurance, and obviously for improving the breath

Posted: Mar 6, 2011 at 16:02 Quote
I still have such a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of pedaling and not going anywhere..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013804
Mobile Version of Website