New to Downhill , what training is the best?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
New to Downhill , what training is the best?
Posted: Mar 7, 2011 at 21:02 Quote
id say best thing to do is find some frends that ride and go with them as much as you can and because they are faster they wall watch you come down while they wait and the can tell what you are doing wrong (my buddy watched and told be to spread my knees out more ) thats really all i can say is just go go go ride as much as you can

Posted: Mar 10, 2011 at 8:50 Quote
Look up: paeleo diet; nutrient timing (amazon); high intensity interval training (HIIT); cross-fit (join your local club but start slow); bodyrock.tv (cleavage and fitness); brianmac.co.uk; S.A.I.D Principle (SPECIFIC ADAPTATIONS TO IMPOSED DEMANDS). Now go educate yourself properly and don't forget to smile.

Posted: Apr 1, 2011 at 5:33 Quote
don't eat carbs when you won't use them

you use carbs all day so eat them for breakfast and lunch, if after dinner you will be sitting indoors don't eat carbs you won't use them so your body will store them, as fat.

simple

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 23:17 Quote
Hey Jason, cheers for the High Octane seat tower, nearly got it built now!

hiphumper wrote:
high intensity interval training (HIIT);
Friend of mine put me on to this awhile back. Really good, but f*cking tiring! Theres loads of videos on Youtube for it, most of the super sets can be done with very little equipment, good for doing at home.

I'm 5 9" and 19 stone (266lbs) too. Just after christmas I was 22 stone (308lbs).= and aiming for 16stone by the end of the summer.
The main thing I've noticed is smaller portions, buy plates that are 3/4 size, you eat soo much less and still feel full.
I do a 30 min run and weight set 3 nights a week, 2 min sprints with 1 min intervals. Weight set usually involves low weight high reps on bench press, dead lift and other upper body lifts, with a warm up and down on the upright bikes.
With what to eat, I'm not sure what you're ment to eat, but I prefer to have a light lunch, chicken sandwhich (home made) afew hours before I hit the gym, and drink extra water between then and starting my work out, then a light dinner sometime after.
But thats just me, work out a routine that works for you, but change it up else your body gets too used to it.

Even with the weight, still go out and ride, it'll give you the incentive to want to drop it faster!

Hope you get into it!

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 9:52 Quote
Rivvum wrote:
Hey Jason, cheers for the High Octane seat tower, nearly got it built now!

hiphumper wrote:
high intensity interval training (HIIT);
Friend of mine put me on to this awhile back. Really good, but f*cking tiring! Theres loads of videos on Youtube for it, most of the super sets can be done with very little equipment, good for doing at home.

I'm 5 9" and 19 stone (266lbs) too. Just after christmas I was 22 stone (308lbs).= and aiming for 16stone by the end of the summer.
The main thing I've noticed is smaller portions, buy plates that are 3/4 size, you eat soo much less and still feel full.
I do a 30 min run and weight set 3 nights a week, 2 min sprints with 1 min intervals. Weight set usually involves low weight high reps on bench press, dead lift and other upper body lifts, with a warm up and down on the upright bikes.
With what to eat, I'm not sure what you're ment to eat, but I prefer to have a light lunch, chicken sandwhich (home made) afew hours before I hit the gym, and drink extra water between then and starting my work out, then a light dinner sometime after.
But thats just me, work out a routine that works for you, but change it up else your body gets too used to it.

Even with the weight, still go out and ride, it'll give you the incentive to want to drop it faster!

Hope you get into it!

Hey buddy i'm glad you like the seat tower.

And thanks for the info this has been a real help and confidence booster , i don't tend to eat loads of junk food , i just tend to eat all the time which needs to stop.

I'm trying to build a hard tail as cheap as possible and that will get me going on the cardio and what not.

Thanks again all

Jay

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 10:51 Quote
hey all, ive been trying to lose weight for more than a few months now, im just a shade under 19 stones and 5 foot 9 too so all this info is going to help me a lot thanks!!!

have a quick question for those in the know... when i first started exercising frequently i found that i put on weight at first is this normal???

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 11:07 Quote
JayTom20 wrote:
hey all, ive been trying to lose weight for more than a few months now, im just a shade under 19 stones and 5 foot 9 too so all this info is going to help me a lot thanks!!!

have a quick question for those in the know... when i first started exercising frequently i found that i put on weight at first is this normal???

Muscle weighs alot more than fat, or so i've been led to believe.

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 2:53 Quote
muscle is denser so some weight gain is normal

remember to drink lots of water all the time this helps you to hydrate the muscles and excrete any bad stuff

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 3:57 Quote
nwmlarge wrote:
muscle is denser so some weight gain is normal

remember to drink lots of water all the time this helps you to hydrate the muscles and excrete any bad stuff

all i drink is water, i do have the occasional fruit juice drink (apple/orange/grape juice) as a treat

O+
Posted: May 2, 2011 at 11:09 Quote
I recently started going to the gym (about 2 months ago) and go every day after school Monday-Friday. I do cardio warm-up, mostly on a rowing machine, for about 20 minutes then go on dumbbells. Work 2 related muscle groups each day. For example on Monday I do stomach, Tuesday chest and biceps etc.
I have really noticed the difference and am definitely faster on the bike and can go hard for longer.
Hope this helps.
Tom Smile

Posted: May 2, 2011 at 12:33 Quote
I'll suggest once a week some very aerobic training session. Maybe some 2h cycling or walking. Something you can do that 2h. Twice a week some muscle training with lot of abs, legs and back. I prefer barbell and kettlebell's and usually free weights. Do some front- and back-squats. Once a week some 3-4x20 reps. First two sets front-squats and then two sets back-squats. Don't use max weight or max reps. You don't wan't to "burn" your legs when training. You want to develop the muscles and condition. Then some pushups, 4-5 sets max reps. For cooling down, some 2 min cycling (HR 120-130). The other session should be little more for upper body. Clean and jerk with barbell, 4x10 reps. Then clean only, 2x15. After that some pushpresses, 3x10. Then abs and back. After that, you cool down with some 2 min aerobic work. The rest of the week is pretty much riding a bike.

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 18:14 Quote
as you seem new to the training world, id recommend the bike james programs...

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 7:25 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
as you seem new to the training world, id recommend the bike james programs...

What is this buddy?

Thanks for the advice everyoneSmile

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 7:54 Quote
Ride/excersize more and eat/drink less,i love Beer but my gutt is getting huge.

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 8:09 Quote
marquis wrote:
Ride/excersize more and eat/drink less,i love Beer but my gutt is getting huge.

Cheers buddy , i don't drink at all or smoke , but do eat snacks and far too many LOL!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019843
Mobile Version of Website