New to Downhill , what training is the best?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
New to Downhill , what training is the best?
Posted: May 21, 2011 at 9:39 Quote
Hiya fella,

some good advice on here, especially paleo, strength training and HIIT.

Here's my general advice:
Diet

Food wise, paleo (or primal: www.marksdailyapple.com is best example of primal) is the way to go as your body uses the correct fuel. For working out get carbs in the way of fruit before and after. Grains, beans and legumes should be cut down to a minimum (or zero if you have the will) for the benefits of the paleo diet to work. The energy and general feeling of aceness is awesome once your body switches to using fat over carbohydrates for itsmain source of energy.

General Physical Preparedness
GPP is basic health and fitness, that you get by eating properly and doing general fitness training.

Training should consist of HIIT, as has been mentioned, once or twice a week, and general play or light cardio 2 or 3 times a week. Pissing about on your bike is probably a good form of play.

Strength training is key. Forget body building, high reps and all that stuff, all it does is add mass and make you look bigger. Functional strength is where it's at. Squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press are the only exercises you need, everything else is gravy. The big compound movements (compound meaning the use of large muscle groups over isolation movements such as curls and individual muscles) using correct form with heavy weight will make you stronger, encourage faster fat loss, make you bigger and thicker. Google stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength.

Strength over vanity is where its at with regards to weight training. High weight, low reps works your muscles, lungs and heart harder.

Working your legs is the most important, never skimp on them because they are your engines, they make the wheels move.

Specific Physical Preparedness
SPP is goal specific, which in your case downhilling. The most important exercise a downhill racer needs? Sprints. Best sprints you can do are actually on the bike because you'll be training your nervous system how to translate commands from the brain into powerful moverments. If you want to be a faster pedaller, train on the pedals.

Other activities that can help SPP are doing things such as speed squats. Good form must be observed on these, if you mess up you can hurt yourself (I have a bad knee because of bad form). General strength squats can be 5 sets of 5 reps (5x5) at 60-80% of your one rep max, which make you stronger. Speed and power squats can be 3 set of 5 reps at 50-60% but done as fast and as hard as possible. This translates into more explosive movement, especially when you take the bar off. The ability to complete a stroke of the pedals harder and faster than you could if you didn't train is obviously beneficial.

-------------------------------

Get diet and GPP dialled in first and foremost, this could take up to a year (or less if you really apply yourself), and see the benefits. You'll burn fat, keep a healthy lean mass, be stronger and fitter and have a better mood. Strength training plays games with your mind, in an brilliant way:

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/how-strength-training-makes-you-a-better-person/

Once you feel as though you're ready, you'll probably be very savvy with strength and fitness training, and can decide on your own SPP path.

I used to play rugby as a prop in my younger days, now I'm an avid powerlifter and enjoy pissing about on bikes. I can squat 220kg, bench 160kg and deadlift 255kg. I weigh 90kg. Eating paleo has really improved my health, training and general outlook on life. Strength training has made me a better person. If you want some more help, try google, if that fails, message me Smile

Summary

.01 Try a paleo/primal approach to diet
.02 Lift heavy things
.03 Sprint
.04 Play
.05 Don't do mile after mile of boring repetetive cardio
.06 Enjoy it all and learn as much as you can Smile

Tony

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 12:06 Quote
XC, XC and more XC.

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 12:09 Quote
JFTtrials wrote:
XC, XC and more XC.

just ride with people a smige better than you. over time you will adapt.

Posted: Jun 6, 2011 at 12:25 Quote
masoncw wrote:
JFTtrials wrote:
XC, XC and more XC.

just ride with people a smige better than you. over time you will adapt.
so true!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029211
Mobile Version of Website