All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:08 Quote
thebiggestben wrote:
TheGravityProject-Magnus wrote:
rob-c wrote:

The rear maxle helps to keep the back end stiff and as you progress riding you may notice the difference IMO

I did
ive had maxles on 3 of my 6 dh bikes and i havent felt a difference as far as stiffness is concered compared to normal bolth through

with me being a fatty.. 16-18 stone over the last few years..

I can feel the diference between a maxle n QR.. i like knowing my wheel is bolted in.

QR's are not for heavy duty sh*t
i do apologise i think i may have takenn your intitail question the wrong way. are you asking if there is a differnece between a maxle and a standard QR?

Or are you asking if theres a difference between a normal bolth through axle and a Maxle kit?

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:09 Quote
its for a five pro.

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:18 Quote
DH-n00b wrote:
its for a five pro.

a QR rear wheel on a 5 is 135mm wide with a 9mm axle & a Maxle (is still QR) is 135mm wide with a 12mm axle

i dont like QR frames.. im fat Beer

if you are running pro 2's (and many others) you can convert to a bolt in type axle..

much stronger... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-Pro-2-Rear-10mm-Bolt-Conversion-Kit-NEW-/260910537449?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3cbf7adae9

something like that ... and yeah its a new swing arm... and you will pop when you get a quote.. 1/2 of your frame Eek

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:29 Quote
just so i understand what does QR stand for? as it seems to me youre just paying for a 3mm thicker axle. what do they do to the swingarm?

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:31 Quote
DH-n00b wrote:
just so i understand what does QR stand for? as it seems to me youre just paying for a 3mm thicker axle. what do they do to the swingarm?
Quick Release. (bet you feel dumb now) ahaha

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:32 Quote
DH-n00b wrote:
maxles need something to screw into. in your case it will go through your hub and it will screw into one side of your swing arm

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 11:35 Quote
DH-n00b wrote:

3 seconds after i submitted the message i knew. lol it seems the 2012 pro has pro2 hubs so ones in the link wont work.

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 12:26 Quote
DH-n00b wrote:
DH-n00b wrote:

3 seconds after i submitted the message i knew. lol it seems the 2012 pro has pro2 hubs so ones in the link wont work.

Could you not upgrade your rear hub to tun a 135 x 10 rear,any bolt through is better than qr.

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 13:39 Quote
maxles are a pointless waste of time, 10mm bolt up or 12mm axle problem solved.

plus weight of rider does not matter, its the riding style and aggression, im only 9.5 stone, seem to snap a pro in half once a year, destroy a rim every 4 months and just generally destroy wheels. (my most impressive feet so far is snap pro 2 in two, bend 222 axle (solid 12mm aluminium) and snap spokes in one go)

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 13:42 Quote
I had a maxle on my old patriot, easier to get the wheel in and out if nothing else, nice knowing it's bolted in there nice and solid though, unlike QR. That said, my current do everything bike is QR rear and it's been fine. Thinking of upgrading to 10mm though, just for shits and giggles.

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 13:55 Quote
marquis wrote:
DH-n00b wrote:

Could you not upgrade your rear hub to tun a 135 x 10 rear,any bolt through is better than qr.

i dont know. lol ill check hope website.

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 13:56 Quote
There's a fair difference in the feel of the rear if you have a lot of power in your legs and ride hard. 10mm wide dropouts vs 25mm wide dropouts makes a big difference

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 14:14 Quote
orange225 wrote:
There's a fair difference in the feel of the rear if you have a lot of power in your legs and ride hard. 10mm wide dropouts vs 25mm wide dropouts makes a big difference

whut?

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 14:50 Quote
rob-c wrote:
orange225 wrote:

whut?

if you look at a QR drop out its a lot skinnier than a maxled one

Posted: Feb 8, 2012 at 15:38 Quote
thebiggestben wrote:
rob-c wrote:
orange225 wrote:

whut?

if you look at a QR drop out its a lot skinnier than a maxled one

3mm but the main difference comes from the threaded portion of most qr axles,even a 10mm smooth axle makes a big difference.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005534
Mobile Version of Website