All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: May 9, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
HardtailsAreGnarly wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

Is it deffo on seat tube, not back of saddle?
Correct size shock in there?
yes mate 8.5x2.5,correct spring rate for sag.2.4 tyres,so not massive.the shock is on an adjustable shuttle,I can only ride it in XC position,the freeride and DH are unrideable due to it hitting the seat tube.very odd.

My 07 patriot is fine in all but the slackest position, when it then buzzes the seattube. Try moving your saddle up as I suspect that's what it is. Try getting a friend to film it, and then watch it back in slow motion. Should tell you whats hitting what
theres tyre marks on seat tube,tried it without saddle,still did it,

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 2:51 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
HardtailsAreGnarly wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
yes mate 8.5x2.5,correct spring rate for sag.2.4 tyres,so not massive.the shock is on an adjustable shuttle,I can only ride it in XC position,the freeride and DH are unrideable due to it hitting the seat tube.very odd.

My 07 patriot is fine in all but the slackest position, when it then buzzes the seattube. Try moving your saddle up as I suspect that's what it is. Try getting a friend to film it, and then watch it back in slow motion. Should tell you whats hitting what
theres tyre marks on seat tube,tried it without saddle,still did it,

Post a photo of shock mount, seat-tubet, shock in frame but cycled through stroked without a spring on it

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 18:23 Quote
I am looking at servicing my headset on my patriot 66.
It is a wtb sc comp, however I do not know the size and type of the bearings inside.
I have not a clue on specification, or sizes required.
If anyone has done this, and can remember what is needed I would love to know!!
I don't want to strip it until I get the parts first.
Any advice on what's needed is very much appreciated.
Cheers

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 12:51 Quote
Chez66 wrote:
I am looking at servicing my headset on my patriot 66.
It is a wtb sc comp, however I do not know the size and type of the bearings inside.
I have not a clue on specification, or sizes required.
If anyone has done this, and can remember what is needed I would love to know!!
I don't want to strip it until I get the parts first.
Any advice on what's needed is very much appreciated.
Cheers

Is it the stock headset? If so it is not sealed IIRC so all you can do is to clean it and apply some fresh grease

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 13:10 Quote
Yeah it's the standard stock issue headset.
It is labelled up as Wtb comp sc, so I thought maybe the sc bit may have meant sealed cartridge? Or maybe, even not perhaps

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 15:33 Quote
Chez66 wrote:
It is labelled up as Wtb comp sc, so I thought maybe the ac bit may have meant sealed cartridge? Or maybe not even not.

Someone else might be able to confirm it but the headset that came with my frame was a regular no cartridge WTB headset full of some nasty grease

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 16:19 Quote
Nuno2002 wrote:
Chez66 wrote:
It is labelled up as Wtb comp sc, so I thought maybe the ac bit may have meant sealed cartridge? Or maybe not even not.

Someone else might be able to confirm it but the headset that came with my frame was a regular no cartridge WTB headset full of some nasty grease

Excellent, I will just pull it apart then!
Thanks for the heads up!

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 6:02 Quote
Chez66 wrote:
Nuno2002 wrote:
Chez66 wrote:

Excellent, I will just pull it apart then!
Thanks for the heads up!
Rip it out get put a Hope one in, you'll never have to worry about it again.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 10:34 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:

Yeah I probably will when I get round to replacing my forks.
As it happens, I stripped and greased my existing one today, as said above, they were loose balls, managed to loose a few in my frame tubes LOL, and managed to get them back out again!
Yey!
Forks and a headset!
Hmmmmm, it's turning into a money pit this project I reckon

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 12:47 Quote
Chez66 wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

As it happens, I stripped and greased my existing one today, as said above, they were loose balls, managed to loose a few in my frame tubes LOL, and managed to get them back out again!
Yey!
Forks and a headset!
Bikes=expensive.
Still without my Four, gutted.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Chez66 wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

Yey!
Forks and a headset!
Bikes=expensive.
Still without my Four, gutted.

It has been a while no? Thought it would be quicker...

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 14:32 Quote
Ahmen to that.
After today though, I reckon my first mod is gearing.
I went 1 x 9 a while back when I added a chain device.
I am weighing up going 1 x 11 if possible.
Looking at 1 x 10 but thinking I may as well go all out.
Either way a clutch derailleur is definitely on my to do list, and I would like to keep my strait line chain device rather than go oval chain ring.
I need a wider set of ratios so I am not pushing up hills (as much), plus I like the reassurance of a chain device should it get bumpy.
Anyone rate 1x 11 higher other than bragging rights over the 1x 10 set up?
The cost overall is quite substantial, considering I need to change everything, cassette, chain, shifter, derailleur.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 15:00 Quote
Sunrace cassette (11-42 should be a pretty good start), slx 11spd derailleur and shifter (go XT shifter if money allows), whatever 11spd chain you can fit in your budget, slap on a new chainring (yours is probably knackered anyway, might aswell go for a cheap narrow wide chainring that fits your cranks, superstar does one for example), and with that you could even drop the straitline chainguide.

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
Keep in mind if you go to SRAM you will need a hub that has an XD driver body for the 11 speed cassette (excluding NX models).

Personally I found a 1x10 with a wide range cassette and a 32t ring gave me all the gearing I needed for tackling everything from forest singletrack to moorland xc. There is a good few wide range 10 speed options out there. Everything from expander cogs to full cassettes such as the Sunrace 10-42.

Of course 11 speed has its merits in the form of the 10t cog and smaller increments between gears making for finding the ideal gear on a hill easier. You also get a wider range around 420% compared to most 10 speeds 360% average. Is it worth the price increase? There's not really a solid answer anyone can give you. It's all relevant to your fitness, where you ride and how and what you deam acceptable budget wise.

If you are willing to go used on parts as well you can get a decent clutched 1x10 setup for very cheap nowadays.

Posted: May 13, 2017 at 10:34 Quote
At the minute I have an uprated 34 middleburn chain wheel on and pretty much new condition, that can stay put for the time being.
I have just bit the bullet, and en route all the way from China courtesy of a well known auction site that rhymes with gay, is a full XT 11 speed groupset, XT mt8000 shifter with window, XT mt8000 medium cage rear mech, XT mt8000 11-42 cassette and a shimano chain.
So in about 5 years when it arrives, I shall be good to go.
Happy days

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014806
Mobile Version of Website