** BuySell Safety and Tips (Copyright ©)

PB Forum :: Beginners
** BuySell Safety and Tips (Copyright ©)
Posted: Dec 21, 2017 at 15:00 Quote
Nefariousd wrote:
Scamming goes both ways. Buyers can also be scammers: The problem is that all a buyer has to say is "not as described " and PayPal will refund their money, they'll have your stuff on the other side of the country, and you'll have no recourse.
It's just easier for them to refund the money than to get involved in the minutiae of " the scratch is 8mm and he described it as 6mm" and all a dishonest buyer has to say is the item didn't meet their expectations and as a seller you lose, I've sold thousands of items on eBay and eventually had to quit because this was becoming rampant particularly after ebay did away with the ability of sellers to leave negative feedback.

So sure you can dissuade people from doing anything other than PayPal but you're not really offering a solution that is equitable in risk or able to assure a seller that they aren't going to be scammed

So how can you stop this from happening? I’m selling a bike at the moment and if this is the case then no matter what I do it’s still a big risk to sell my bike. So do PayPal just take the funds out of your account without you getting your property back, leaving you without a bike, even if you have been completely honest and provided photos to back up your sale?

Posted: Dec 30, 2017 at 17:15 Quote
Not sure if user “brendanmurphy” is scamming or not, but he would not take PayPal and preferred a direct bank account transfer or bitcoin. He has two bikes up for sale right now and joined PB yesterday. Buyer beware.

Posted: Dec 31, 2017 at 3:38 Quote
Hi I am buying a frame from somebody and I want to know what to do do I send the money over PayPal and then wait for him to ship or what do I do

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 16:16 Quote
there is a guy (simon131) who sells a fox rhythm 34 2017 130mm 29in, not sure if its a scam but his PB infos says hes from whistler and there is the same pics and text for the same product on kijiji and the guy is from missisauga... weird
(ps. PB thats not clear where you have to post infos like that or who you you have to contact)

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 16:32 Quote
guillaumev wrote:
there is a guy (simon131) who sells a fox rhythm 34 2017 130mm 29in, not sure if its a scam but his PB infos says hes from whistler and there is the same pics and text for the same product on kijiji and the guy is from missisauga... weird
(ps. PB thats not clear where you have to post infos like that or who you you have to contact)

PB lists my residence as Los Angeles, when in fact I live in San Pedro, which is in Los Angeles city limits..so that could be the case there, where PB lists the city, or county as it were..

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 11:41 Quote
Hii all,

I was wondering if someone could provide me the answer.
I am from the Netherlands and I want to purchase a shock (RS Monarch) from somebody based in the UK.
If I look at parcel2go.com it would cost like ~20 gbp including insurance coverage.

But now there is this deal with customs I guess, if I look at the prohibited items list, it says this:
- Any Item Containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas Or Fumes)
- Compressed Air & Empty Cylinders
- Oil

I have seen this excuse many times with eBay sellers that dont want to ship outside the UK.
But has anybody experienced sending a parcel with a shock or a fork that has been refused for export?

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 12:40 Quote
This guy joined two days ago, copied a kijiji ad for a Chorus group but the price is halved, buyer beware

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2343239/

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bike-frames-parts/city-of-toronto/campagnolo-chorus-10speed-groupset/1338263682?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 3:57 Quote
I've never bought via pinkbike and only recently joined. Going to see a bike this PM, looking to buy. Lots of good advice here about paying via paypal; how does that work if I'm meeting someone in a public location? Pay on the spot via mobile if I'm happy? Do I need to set this up in advance with him? Guess it's better than paying with cash?

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 19:16 Quote
I didn’t under sand one thing how would you pay the person haha the text says to use PayPal then under it. It says don’t use PayPal

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 23:09 Quote
trundler wrote:
I've never bought via pinkbike and only recently joined. Going to see a bike this PM, looking to buy. Lots of good advice here about paying via paypal; how does that work if I'm meeting someone in a public location? Pay on the spot via mobile if I'm happy? Do I need to set this up in advance with him? Guess it's better than paying with cash?

Generally when you buy in person, the seller expects cash, at least I do. Only way I accept paypal is via online sales. I've bought more than a few things here on PB, never had any issues at all.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 18:31 Quote
When you buy, and the seller ships, do you give out your address? bc I'm kind skeptical about giving it out.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 19:01 Quote
Stv3303 wrote:
When you buy, and the seller ships, do you give out your address? bc I'm kind skeptical about giving it out.

The seller will need to have your address to ship the item to you. Otherwise, how will they know where to send the item to..?

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 14:44 Quote
edit; changed and sent a PM to moderator re possible scammer.

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
E-transfer is safe to buy a bike?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020075
Mobile Version of Website