** BuySell Safety and Tips (Copyright ©)

PB Forum :: Beginners
** BuySell Safety and Tips (Copyright ©)
Posted: Aug 25, 2018 at 8:41 Quote
heads up on what is almost certainly a scam!

I am selling my first ever bike on here (for my husband) and he received a text asking if it was still for sale and if it was to email davford01@inbox.lv, reply came from davford01@gmail.com
We did - seemed genuine, offered to arrange pick up and pay via PayPal (which I am happy with as it protects me as well as the buyer)

Asked for PayPal address which we sent and got an email saying they had sent payment for the bike, and for the courier and the western union fees, providing an address in Russia was the alarm bell.
I have the PayPal app and when I receive or send money it pops up instantly on my phone through the app and on my email. This 'payment' did not.

Contacted PayPal who confirmed that there is no way for a payment to not show up if its been sent and asked me to forward the emails I received (address was payplinstantfund@gmail.com) claiming to be from paypal to their fraud team.

So just to make you aware, the emails/name to look out for are:
davford01@inbox.lv
davford01@gmail.com
payplinstantfund@gmail.com
Calling himself David Ford.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 10:46 Quote
platinumpea wrote:
heads up on what is almost certainly a scam!

I am selling my first ever bike on here (for my husband) and he received a text asking if it was still for sale and if it was to email davford01@inbox.lv, reply came from davford01@gmail.com
We did - seemed genuine, offered to arrange pick up and pay via PayPal (which I am happy with as it protects me as well as the buyer)

Asked for PayPal address which we sent and got an email saying they had sent payment for the bike, and for the courier and the western union fees, providing an address in Russia was the alarm bell.
I have the PayPal app and when I receive or send money it pops up instantly on my phone through the app and on my email. This 'payment' did not.

Contacted PayPal who confirmed that there is no way for a payment to not show up if its been sent and asked me to forward the emails I received (address was payplinstantfund@gmail.com) claiming to be from paypal to their fraud team.

So just to make you aware, the emails/name to look out for are:
davford01@inbox.lv
davford01@gmail.com
payplinstantfund@gmail.com
Calling himself David Ford.

I've also just been contacted by this guy, definitely sounds like a scam to me. Claimed to be a marine engineer and is currently off shore so can't collect the bike.

Posted: Oct 1, 2018 at 14:47 Quote
Any tips for what to do when an item you have sent is damaged in the delivery? Should you have the item returned before making a claim with the delivery company?

Posted: Oct 23, 2018 at 20:51 Quote
I am wanting to buy a bike and i have talked to the guy who is selling it, but i am still worried about getting scammed. He has no seller history. what do i do.

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 16:41 Quote
I'm wondering if buying a used bike off pink bike and shipping it from the usa to canada, what kind of fees are involved such as duty, taxes and brokerage fees? If there are fees, is there a way to get around it? Thanks

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 7:48 Quote
I bought a wheelset off PB and when they arrived the hubs were not as described on the ad. I have raised a refund request through Paypal and the seller says they will issue the refund when they receive the wheels back. Is this normal?

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 18:36 Quote
Is it just me or is there more people trying to not follow the buy and sell rules of using only paypal to buy with, And then expecting me to pay the fee? In the last month it is now 4 times had this when looking to buy a part.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
enduramil wrote:
Is it just me or is there more people trying to not follow the buy and sell rules of using only paypal to buy with, And then expecting me to pay the fee? In the last month it is now 4 times had this when looking to buy a part.

Normally the buyer pays any fees, and should be stated in the ad. I had one guy stick me with the paypal fees on an item I sold, it wasn't much, and I let him know that as a seller we should not have to pay fees. It's been this way for a long time.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 8:56 Quote
Beware of the user Williams92. I have been scammed by him.

Last December 21st I have contacted him to buy a Manitou Dorado Expert 27,5" that he had announced in the forum of Buysell. We reached an agreement for the sale of the fork in 300 pounds with postage included (They work in shipping company, he told me). I have sent the payment through Paypal on Decembre 23. After some days, he say me that doesn't found the upper crown, but you don't be affraid, a friend have one and give me it to send to you, he told me. I waited until he told me to send the fork, to get the upper crown from his friend (1 week). Then he tell me that can't pay the postage and can't send the fork until the next week because donesn't have money until next wage, because the fork really interested me and doesn't have anything to not true him, I have agreed with him and wait to him to get next wage to make the shipment. He have sent the package on 14 january, finally I have received today 21 January the packege, but surprise, surprise.. when I have opened the box, inside doesn't have any Manitou dorado, there are inside an old, very old red Marzocchi Bomber.

He doesn't have answered the email I have sent to him asking about this. But it's incredible that this can be a packing error, because he have sent to me pictures of the fork with the wrapping paper in the box and the label with my address before send it. This only can be an act in bad faith, to hold my money and the Manitou Dorado to resell it two times.

I have scaled the claim in Paypal, we will see how it ends.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 15:37 Quote
Who would be the best person to contact from PB about some of the problems with fraud that are happening on here. I think I might have a solution that might not make it feel too much like a concentration camp.

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
If someone asked to use the VENMO as a payment method , should I stay away from the transaction?

Not knew to buying online ,but always used PAYPAL as payment method because there is some type of fraud protection .Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 17:28 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2361278/

Seller claims to have a selling history here ( not visible to me ), has no paypal and accepted a low offer on a good price and would include postage on my low offer - wanted e-interac payment and was in a hurry to seal the deal..so much so that they sent me the same text twice.
Many, many red flags on this one.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
benhg wrote:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2361278/

Seller claims to have a selling history here ( not visible to me ), has no paypal and accepted a low offer on a good price and would include postage on my low offer - wanted e-interac payment and was in a hurry to seal the deal..so much so that they sent me the same text twice.
Many, many red flags on this one.

There is No info on him what so ever..Walk away, as fast as you can.

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 at 1:55 Quote
Hi,

I am selling an item and we have agreed on a price with the buyer. Then I check my PayPal and I have received his/her money. As I am about to ask the delivery details pinkbike marked them as verified scammer. What do I do? Is there an admin I can ask? Who is eligible to mark someone as scammer? Users or admins?

Cheers,
Alexandros

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018234
Mobile Version of Website