Transition TR450 v Lappy DH720

PB Forum :: Downhill
Transition TR450 v Lappy DH720
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 1:17 Quote
My friend is thinking of buying either a Lapierre DH720 or a TR450....

Which bike is better, and why?

Also this is what Transition told me via email about crash replacement...no idea about Lapierre.

bigquotes
The TR450 has a 2 year warranty against manufacturers defects and a lifetime crash replacement coverage for the original owner. Crash replacement is a program that provides coverage for you in the event that you damage it after your warranty expires or do something outside of warranty (think, drive it into the garage, run over it with the shuttle rig, etc). The pricing for crash replacement varies depending on the situation and frame pieces you need. I can never really comment on pricing until something happens, but I can say that we always work with you to provide the lowest cost possible. For what it’s worth, I’ve yet to encounter a warranty situation with a 450 except for the decal issue that we provided replacements for. Enjoy,

Chris Pascucci
Transition Bike

All feedback appreciated Smile

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 1:30 Quote
The lappy's sus is supposed to be absolutely amazing, but i think it comes with a bit of a price tag...

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 1:35 Quote
DH720 £3499.99

TR450 £1,898.84

So he will be paying just over £1000 extra for a full bike, he also could make profit selling the Boxxers from the Lappy as he has a set of Fox 40's.

Just wondering which is a better bike Confused and if it's worth paying the extra?

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 1:36 Quote
the TR450 price is just a frame, soo yeh

Frame wise, the lappy is probably better, as the Sus design is second to none.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 2:10 Quote
My cousin in Holland has a the DH720, and his mate has the TR450.
We went to this "downhill" (although I use the term lightly (they usually ride in Morzine and go to this place in Germany, but this was the closest)) track called Brunssemerheide I think.
At any rate, I used both and the 720 was, out of any bike I've ridden apart from my new Session 88, the most lush ride ever.
Absolutely loved it.

It chews through anything, literally glides over jumps, handles like a daemon and feels like you're riding a feather. You get so much control out of it, and on super flowly trails its just an absolute pleasure to ride.
I couldn't tell you how it'd handle Technical Trails, but for flowly ones with jumps; it is just a goddamn pleasure to ride it lightly. Never mind when it comes to shredding it. Wink

If I were you, I'd certainly go for the 720. I absolutely loved it! Couldn't recommend enough! Big Grin

Edit: I didn't realize you were on about the 2011 model: Apologies. In any case, I'd still go with the 720, I can't imagine its riding-feel being any less then that of its 2010 predecessor. Wink

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 5:55 Quote
Cheers lads, anybody else, TR450 vs the DH720, who wins and why?

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 7:44 Quote
a LBS that sells Transition told me that the TR450 suffers from brake jack. not terrible, but they claim that it's noticeable. that alone would push me towards the DH720.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 8:04 Quote
I have a tr450 and I have to say it is one if the best bikes I have owned or ridden and it's amazing......the rc4 feels better on a tr450 than any other bike and it is amazing in corners and the bike is super responsive

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 8:58 Quote
i owned a tr 450 and it felt great, dialed geometrie and super stable on high speed. brake jack is noticable, thats true but did you ever run a system like the pendlebox? i rode a gt furious which is similar to the pendlebox design in general and it was not what i was looking for in a suspension design. i felt uncomfortable on that bike. and the 2009 - 2010 lappies are cracking alot, a friend of mine broke his bike after beeing in whistler for 3 days Madder that would never happen with a tr450, they are solid!

got you some images to what i told you of cracking lapierres...
http://styleroyal.pinkbike.com/album/broken-dh-920/

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 9:17 Quote
Lapierre. Hands down.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 9:17 Quote
My TR450 is great, I've not ridden the new Lapierre but I've had a bit of time on he old one. It was great if not a little sluggish.

The new one looks great, with the floating BB etc, also has a Carbon swingarm and it's definitely lighter than the TR450.

If I'm right though the spec of a DH720 as opposed to the TR450 full build will be considerably worse. Think Boxxer RC's instead of a Fox 40, Sram X.9 over X.O, Maybe a lower specced shock, brakes, wheels etc.

Transitions are more of a 'riding' bike rather than a race bike.

Transitions are the sort of bike you'd buy if you wanted low maintenance, the Lapierre has a LOT of pivots, and bearings, which is more maintenance.

The pendbox design on the Lapierre looks really good though, and has been fairly race proven this year.

If you were looking for a full package (not just bike, but company support) I would go with the Transition. When you email them you're pretty much dealing with the owners straight away. Although I've not dealt with Lapierre, but I would guess you would go through the importer than straight to the company...

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 9:19 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
a LBS that sells Transition told me that the TR450 suffers from brake jack. not terrible, but they claim that it's noticeable. that alone would push me towards the DH720.
never felt brake jack on mine, and my mate at the lbs was telling me about the 6month waiting list for parts for lappiere in the uk!

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 12:04 Quote
Lapierre FTW... I don't even think it's close to be honest. The TR450 is nice but in the same way a brand new Kona is nice. Sure, you'll have a shit ton of fun on it and it'll do the job but it's just not a good example of all that a modern DH bike can be. Don't get me wrong, he sure isn't going to hate either bike but the Lapierre is levels above the Transition in my book.

Also, for the crash replacement stuff... Transition gets a huge amount of hype for that but I don't know of any manufacturer who won't cut you a deal if you break one of their frames and want to come back for seconds. A good buddy of mine recently snapped his 2001 SC Bullit and they sold him a 2010 frame for $450. Any company worth a damn has a similar program.

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 12:27 Quote
This thread is silly imo

Theres no such thing as one better than the other, theyre both reallly good bikes, just tell him get his ass to demo days, or just ask someone nice at a bikepark with either for a go.

However i agree with timlake, if he was racing and taking care of the bushings etc. id go for the dh720, but a tr450 is more of a riders bike, slightly heavyer than 'the average' dh frame, but will take a huge beating and still be rideable, unlike my session Very confused

Posted: Feb 4, 2011 at 12:34 Quote
yeah im yet to see a broken tr450 frame! i weighed mine when i got it and it was 12lbs dead with rc4 and steel spring

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010911
Mobile Version of Website