Intense SS rear end pivot issue. Need help!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Intense SS rear end pivot issue. Need help!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2011 at 14:41 Quote
In short, the hole where the bearing is pressed into, on the front triangle of the bike right behind the bottom bracket, is ovalized slightly. This causes the bearing in the hole to feel extremely rough (i.e. can only turn the internal race using tools).
I originally thought that the bearing was the issue until I popped it out of the frame only to find that the bearing spins like it is brand new still (they are 6001 enduro bearings.) And I even pressed a new bearing into the hole with the same problem occurring again. The reason I know for sure that it is ovalized is because when i insert the new bearing into the hole slightly and then shine a flashlight through from the other side, the light comes through only on two points around the bearing.

Does anyone have experience with similar issues? I have access to friends will mills etc. and I wanted to know what the best solution is for this problem. I was thinking of reaming out the hole to the diameter of the bearing (28mm)....

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 at 1:28 Quote
Man this is a worry. Hope this doesnt happen to mine. Only thing I can think of is yes you will have to ream out the hole for the bearing to sit in. However you might have to find the next bearing size up if possible. Just to get it a little bigger. As reaming out to you current size bearing, keeping in mind the hole is already oval, By the time you get it round you could be left with a tiny amount of play which will be amplified 10 times when the frame is all back together again.

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 at 6:40 Quote
Ya that's a really good point about it amplifying ten times. I might see if I can find a slightly bigger bearing as you said if there turns out to be play. Thanks a lot for your insight and I hope it doesnt happen to yours!

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 at 6:51 Quote
No worries. Just remember when you search for a slightly larger bearing dont go too much bigger if you can help it as it may weaken the surrounding frame. And also remember to retain the exact same inner diameter or you will get play there.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009507
Mobile Version of Website