Drive chain side crank not on straight.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Drive chain side crank not on straight.
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 18:39 Quote
Okay so when i was looking at my bash guard it looked like it was off center a bit, so when i spun my crank, it didn't look like it lined up perfectly. So what i did is i pulled my crank off then put it back on, i felt no extra resistence putting the arm back on like it was going on incorrectly. I tightened the crank bolt really tight and it feels fine. But should i worry about it?

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 19:37 Quote
Yes, frame's toast.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 19:40 Quote
What? Nothing is loose like the bb. its just the chain guide doesn't look like its on straight
Jon-m wrote:
Yes, frame's toast.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 19:42 Quote
Do you have any support behind your theory that leads you to believe my frame is messed up?

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 23:16 Quote
Well, check to see if your BB is loose. But highly doubt this is the cause of it.

It sounds like either:

Your crank arm spindle is slightly bent (doubt this as well, seeing there is no issue fitting it) OR

Your chain guide is bent OR

Your frame is bent. And will need replacing.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 5:30 Quote
When you say off centre do you mean when you rotate the cranks your chain ring is like egg shaped? If so check you have installed your chain ring bolts correctly. The shoulder back plate of the chain ring bolt is larger in diameter than the chain ring bolt itself and if you get this round the wrong way the chain ring has a bit of movement on the spider and can go off centre. Just a thought.

If not and you mean side to side movement then could also be bent bottom bracket spindle. Unlikely but possible. Could also be that the spider itself is bent

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 6:50 Quote
Oh crap, i'll take it into a bike shop and get their opinion.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 6:53 Quote
Oh crap, i'll take it into a bike shop and get their opinion. Yes when i spin my crank, i'll line up the chain guide with the bash guard and i'll look and you can see that the bashguard sticks out more in some places and others, it doesn't. it kinda does a very slight wobble. But its very slight. Also when i pedal, i hear a clanking noise coming from my bottom bracket so it might be loose.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 9:57 Quote
I was messing with you... Do you notice anything pedaling? Are there any cracks?

If not, don't worry about it.

Jon

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 11:45 Quote
chainrings are not 100% straight

and neither are most crank spiders or bashguards

don't worry about slight wobbles, it only becomes an issue if its so bad it affects the shifting or chain device function

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 13:57 Quote
Jon-m wrote:
I was messing with you... Do you notice anything pedaling? Are there any cracks?

Jon
Ok, you gave me a heart attack their. I just invested a ton into my bike. No i notice nothing pedaling except a clanking sound coming from my bb also when i started spining my cranks for the first time yesturday, they were stiff and had some resistance.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 13:58 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
chainrings are not 100% straight

and neither are most crank spiders or bashguards

don't worry about slight wobbles, it only becomes an issue if its so bad it affects the shifting or chain device function
Okay, its a brand new guide, bash guard and new chain ring.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 13:59 Quote
Jon-m wrote:

Jon
No craks, that i know of.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 18:05 Quote
okay so when i take my bike on the first ride of the day and its been sitting, when i back pedal for the first 2-3 rotations, their is an abnormal amount of resistance. It feels internal like the bb cuz i don't hear anything rubbing. I might need a new bb.

Posted: Feb 16, 2011 at 18:47 Quote
What cranks?

And how do you invest in a bike? What kind of return are you getting?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012244
Mobile Version of Website