xc vs all mountain

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 1:18 Quote
same thing !!

xc rigs are lighter.

am are heavier with longer travel front and back!

and its up to you what you preffer stronger bike with more travel or lighter bike that pedals alot better.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 1:46 Quote
XC = Racing
All Mountain = Marketing gimmick for overweight people with too much cash that want to convince themselves they aren't horribly unfit.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 1:47 Quote
1969 wrote:
XC = Racing
All Mountain = Marketing gimmick for overweight people with too much cash that want to convince themselves they aren't horribly unfit.

lol

sound right

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 1:51 Quote
1969 wrote:
XC = Racing

Haha, that's about right. Either get a XC, Trail, or Freeride. You don't need an AM.

Posted: Feb 11, 2008 at 2:43 Quote
xc is when you say to yourself "that looks like a big climb, I can nail that, I'm easily fit enough" AM is when you say to yourself "that looks like a big climb but I bet there's a good downhill on the other side!"
I love xc/am on my mythic morphine with DC forks - one of the best things about xc/am is any bike will do. I did a 20mile xc on my old iron horse ojiki 7" full susser, yeah I was a bit slow but it was still a lush ride in beautiful surroundings. XC to me is about the location/smell/taste/feel of the trail more than the bike. Freeride etc is more about the actual trail.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 9:34 Quote
yesok wrote:
XC = Racing

That's the best explanation I've read yet.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 18:52 Quote
XC- Easyer more trails
AM- More Tech. tight rough trails

And for some people its the skill level some people think the narly-ist trails are just a little rough XC (Usually downhillers riding "XC" Smile )
And others think fairly calm trails are really treachurouse (horrific spelling) and think that that paticular trail is too much for their bike Rolleyes

And you can ride AM on a XC bike but then again you can ride DH on a street mtb with 80 MM of travel (I know that an extreme lol)

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 22:22 Quote
I think AM is for people who don't want dedicated bikes for each category, and want to do a bit of everything. Not all of us can afford to have more than one bike.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 22:34 Quote
coleman32 wrote:
yesok wrote:
XC = Racing

I find that piece of shit explanation so funny. I ride an all mountain rig. Its 37 pounds. I ride XC races and end up top 10. The other day I passed a guy on a 25lbs rig on the mountain, after he had passed me on his car on the way there. I rode from my house and he rode took his car to the trail.

I say f*ck that explanation.

AM is for fit people who can actually pedal tough shit up a hill, and not whine about grams. I've ended up top 10 on cross country races, and made 5th in the National Downhill Cup on Senior (Intermediate) Class. XC is for lycra covered weight weenies who only think about having an easier go on the uphills.

AM is not about reducing weight, its about getting stronger to pedal your rig up the hill cos you know the downhill is gonna be awesome.

This is my rig by the way.
photo

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 22:46 Quote
thrice wrote:
coleman32 wrote:
yesok wrote:
XC = Racing

I find that piece of shit explanation so funny. I ride an all mountain rig. Its 37 pounds. I ride XC races and end up top 10. The other day I passed a guy on a 25lbs rig on the mountain, after he had passed me on his car on the way there. I rode from my house and he rode took his car to the trail.

I say f*ck that explanation.

AM is for fit people who can actually pedal tough shit up a hill, and not whine about grams. I've ended up top 10 on cross country races, and made 5th in the National Downhill Cup on Senior (Intermediate) Class. XC is for lycra covered weight weenies who only think about having an easier go on the uphills.

AM is not about reducing weight, its about getting stronger to pedal your rig up the hill cos you know the downhill is gonna be awesome.

This is my rig by the way.
[snippity snip]

i dissagree with that explanation also, i ride faster and harder and climb just as well as people i ride with on xc bikes when i'm on my scott which is 44 pounds. i do have to admit the only reason i'm riding it xc/am is beacuse my bike for that is in the middle of a complete rebuild including the fork so its out of commission for now. it is funny to have to wait up for somebody thats sponsored to race on their 26 pounds xc race bike when i'm on my big bike lol. apparently i could get sponsored for xc riding since i have crazy endurance and leg strength but when i get on a xc bike i feel like i'm going to break the damn thing their too weak. this bike is what i think is the perfect trail bike, good wheelset that i wont do too much damage too, just enough travel on the front fork and it has lockout too so climbing is even easyer but a big enough frame to have a comfortable geo for xc riding
photo

and for shits and giggles heres my scott which i'm riding xc on right now:P
photo

edit: my definition of all mountain is a bike that can still climb up but shred the downhills without being uncomfortable. so it has to have a little more travel but not too steep a head angle so its not crazy raked when going up super tech climbs( only problem with my scott is the head angle is wayyy to steep for tech climbs, and it cant turn worth shit its too long)

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 at 23:41 Quote
is see a lot of XC guys and its like they just want to ride the trails to say they have then go home.

we are getting more tech man-made stuff in our area (NS influence yay) but they're not interested in that stuff at all. i thinks its them that pull it down cause they never take the time to learn to do them, but give it one one go eat it and then pull it down.

the 2 are similar but AM appeals to us who want more than just cardio work out with a view. we like to push and spice it up and dont care if we eat it now and then.

we're XC riders with a few screws loose

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
oh my god 44 pounds?
i salute you!Beer

AM is the best!

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
lol i was talking to an older fellow at the LBS the other day. he had been an avid rider and skiier in his earlier days. he was looking for something to replace his 8yr old Rockhopper. all bikes at the LBS are XC or road bikes. I told him to go home and check out the spesh enduro (he likes spesh). I told him all moutain was the way to go. a little more travel stronger frame handle more abuse. he looked at me and asked what kind of bike i had...i told him the one your hands on lol. (My 43lb freeride bike). he looked down and said good lord that's a sweet bike, you rode it here?? i said yep only 5 long road miles each way lol. he seemed in awe, but very appreciative for the advice.

Posted: May 1, 2011 at 9:51 Quote
holy gravedig batman. boxxers on an enduro sounds like snappage to me cause they are an aggresive allmountain bike at best

Posted: May 1, 2011 at 13:06 Quote
AM are truly recreational bikes IMO. I'm in the process of turning my XC into one.

I'm gonna lose the fork and wheelset soon
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz312/dirttrailsociety/P3270042.jpg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019992
Mobile Version of Website