Pro-tecs illegal

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Pro-tecs illegal
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 3:03 Quote
I don't know about other countries but my local BMX shop told my that in july it will be illegal to sell and ride with pro-tecs as the are skate helmets and don't meet Australian standards for BMX helmets,
if this is true it will rally piss me off as they are really good helmets, so any Aussie boys on here if you have heard anything about this can ya let us know

so just thought id let you know that Australia could lose an awesome helmet brand : (

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 4:07 Quote
There's a certain model (I think its the Bucky Lasek signature) of Pro-tecs that dont meet UK standards, but people just get them imported from the states.

It's not every product they make. Also, It's not illegal to sell its just frowned upon to sell for use when cycling, Some skate shops over here sell them to...

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 5:04 Quote
jessejones wrote:
There's a certain model (I think its the Bucky Lasek signature) of Pro-tecs that dont meet UK standards, but people just get them imported from the states.

It's not every product they make. Also, It's not illegal to sell its just frowned upon to sell for use when cycling, Some skate shops over here sell them to...

Summed it up really, just buy them from skate shops. (what skate shops over here sell them, i was going to get one imported but to save the hassle...)

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 5:17 Quote
Rooker wrote:
I don't know about other countries but my local BMX shop told my that in july it will be illegal to sell and ride with pro-tecs as the are skate helmets and don't meet Australian standards for BMX helmets,
if this is true it will rally piss me off as they are really good helmets, so any Aussie boys on here if you have heard anything about this can ya let us know

so just thought id let you know that Australia could lose an awesome helmet brand : (

yeah but how are they going to enforce it? will a cop pull you over and ask "hey, can i see the silver sticker on the inside of your helmet that says it meets australian standards?". knowing sydney cops they wont do anything

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 5:42 Quote
the skate versions dont meet the uk standards but to be honest as long as youve got a helmet on no one will question it, i used to use a wind surfing helmet and ive ridden plenty of compulsary helmet spots wearing it and never got any hassle.

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 5:59 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
jessejones wrote:

Summed it up really, just buy them from skate shops. (what skate shops over here sell them, i was going to get one imported but to save the hassle...)

I know Rollersnakes and Route One did at one point, not sure now though to be honest so just check it out!

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 6:03 Quote
Why would they make a helmet illegal when pretty much everyone doesn't where one(unless its different over there)

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 6:05 Quote
oecta wrote:
Why would they make a helmet illegal when pretty much everyone doesn't where one(unless its different over there)

Erm at skateparks mot people do, street know one does, but dirt most people do, (it is more to cover there asses if someone hurts them self in one of those helmets then they cant sue the standardizing agency)

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 6:09 Quote
Well i currently have the protec skate ace, but it doesn't fit me anymore

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 6:32 Quote
oecta wrote:

If it's anything like over here, it's not illegal, someone's just misunderstood it and told everyone else wrong, It's like Chinese Whispers

The helmet just doesnt meet the necessary safety standards for that Country / State. Different to being illegal!

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 6:48 Quote
jessejones wrote:
oecta wrote:

If it's anything like over here, it's not illegal, someone's just misunderstood it and told everyone else wrong, It's like Chinese Whispers

The helmet just doesnt meet the necessary safety standards for that Country / State. Different to being illegal!

In Australia, you must wear a helment by law. I remember when the law first passed and everyone was hating it, but it got to the stage where you were the odd one out if you did not have a helmet.

In fact, since then, I have always worn a helmet where ever I ride. When I moved back to the UK I continued to wear a helmet.

Maybe the laws have tightened up because when this law was introduced, any old POS helmet would do and they still had to meet the 'ASI' (I think that was what it was called).

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 7:07 Quote
I'm still wearing a Protec Classic skate from about 2006. Realised the other day it's only a board helmet and I shouldn't really be wearing it. However it's much more sturdy than both some of the "BMX" helmets we sell and the mountain bike ones so I think generally as long as you have some sort of protection, you're okay.

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 7:15 Quote
snook wrote:
I'm still wearing a Protec Classic skate from about 2006. Realised the other day it's only a board helmet and I shouldn't really be wearing it. However it's much more sturdy than both some of the "BMX" helmets we sell and the mountain bike ones so I think generally as long as you have some sort of protection, you're okay.
+1

I really dont understand why people ride without a helmet, Mines saved me so many times!
All the kids at our local didnt used to wear them but now we've got virtually all of them with one

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 8:48 Quote
I just bought a Protec Chase Hawk, after smashing my Bucky. Hard Foam on the inside.. Still comfy, and was 20 bucks cheaper.

Posted: Feb 21, 2011 at 9:01 Quote
i use a bucky as there the only skate type lid i can get that fits my head properly. and is in a big enough size

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009761
Mobile Version of Website