Quick 5th element shock query...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Quick 5th element shock query...
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2011 at 2:54 Quote
Hi All,

Yesterday I took my new 2004/5 ish Cove Peeler to Kilvey Hill for a test run. Well pleased.

The only slight niggly problem I noticed while pushing the bike back up the hill is that the shock has 1/4" or so of dead un-damped travel at the beginning of the stroke. Once sat on the bike and riding it performs well and the bike is highly confidence inspiring...so it's not exactly f*cked!

I've not had too much of a play but the rebound adjuster appears to work backwards, I've pumped it up to 140 lb and it's holding it's pressure, and the two compression adjusters don't seem to make the dead travel go away whatever I do...

Is it simply short of a bit of oil?

Posted: Feb 26, 2011 at 3:13 Quote
Might simply need a service,for all spares go to http://www.tftunedshox.com/default.aspx

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 10:11 Quote
Hmm. I was hoping for a little more detail than that!

Do most people just give up and hand their shoxs to other people to fix?

I realise there may be parts procurement issues but I've made a living and saved a fortune not paying other folk to do work I can do, and I was pretty much planning on carrying on with that policy!

Right-o...Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 10:17 Quote
For one, fixing a 5th element these days isn't easy, and if you have to ask whats wrong with it in the first place, you cant do it. Let alone have access to the parts. Rear suspension is the one part you should let a professional handle, its not just a spring with oil in a can.

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 10:35 Quote
Kind of is though isn't it!

Fear not, I ain't no 14 year old with only an adjustable spanner to his name.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 10:41 Quote
quat-fro wrote:
Kind of is though isn't it!

Fear not, I ain't no 14 year old with only an adjustable spanner to his name.

okay, go for it, google will be your best friend, as there are threads on different sites that will give some insight.
It's not gonna be easy, probably not gonna do a very good job the first time. and if something is broken, other then just a seal or two, goo luck replacing it.

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 11:06 Quote
prolly just short some oil, or the oil has broken down.. open shock, drain oil, replace.

these are easy shocks to work on and are pretty straight forward.
Salute

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 11:09 Quote
z-man wrote:
For one, fixing a 5th element these days isn't easy, and if you have to ask whats wrong with it in the first place, you cant do it. Let alone have access to the parts. Rear suspension is the one part you should let a professional handle, its not just a spring with oil in a can.

it is in fact just that, a spring outside a oil filled can with some needle valves.

if you cant find a good guide for the element then check out the manitou Swinger guide.. pretty much the same shcok. parts shouldnt be too tricky, you will need some o rings.. last i checked these were pretty east to come across..
you have the right attitude, nothing ventured nothing gained. Salute

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 11:29 Quote
marquis wrote:
Might simply need a service,for all spares go to http://www.tftunedshox.com/default.aspx

Never once mentioned in my post to send it off,i said for all available spares check here.

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
Oh yeah, sorry! Must remember to read the actual words...

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 11:58 Quote
The 5th Element is based on a Curnett Shock (foes), same as a Manitou 6 way. I had one and it had the same issue as you are describing, internals were not functioning due to the chambers leaking internally and the inner seals were damaged.

If you send it away to Flooksy (TF Tuned) they will strip the shock and replace the internals with the Manitou 6 way internals and service it for around £90. Trust me it's worth it.

On the other hand if you can source the parts and you know how to identify a blown bladder seal and corroded piston pin by all means try yourself.. Salute

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 12:09 Quote
Do it yourself... this is not rocket science. some seals can even be replaced by pink Teflon tape, i'll leave it to your keen eye to discover this.

have been riding my re-build swinger 6 for over a year with no issues.

Blown bladder = ripped bladder = tear in the bladder ( swinger has no bladder )

Ifp seals are good unless they let oil past the ifp.. if they do, replace.

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 12:18 Quote
I hear ya! Though seriously, it can't be rocket science...

I've come across a Fox DHX 5 for marginally more than the price of their service with the valving upgrade so I may just have a fiddle in a consequence free environment once I've snapped it up...

Has anybody generated a photo guide of one of these (or similar) being taken apart?

Posted: Mar 2, 2011 at 12:45 Quote
for which shock are you looking for a guide???

the dhx or the 5th

?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012547
Mobile Version of Website