Will my bike survive whistler?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Will my bike survive whistler?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2011 at 19:51 Quote
Okay, so i just finished building up my coiler, and want to know if it's qorthy for whistler. Im doing the SGC, and don't know if i should work my ass off for a new frame, or keep this frame for the time being. The only reason i would get a new frame is for the camp. Or should i rent a bike?

PS dont give me flack for the monster stickers, i love monster and im not copying sam hill or whatever.

2011 codes
2010 outalws
azonic d2
sunline v1 bars
saint cranks
odi grips
fsa gravity headset
x9 mech and shifter
rock shox vivid 5.1
2010 totem solo air
kmc Ti chain
lg1 guide

photo

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 7:19 Quote
You should be just fine on that in Whistler. Having a full on DH bike on the upper mountain would be ideal, but I like having the slightly shorter travel freeride bike for the whole mountain, I think you should be pretty stoked on that bike in Whistler.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 9:59 Quote
Sweet! I was hoping it would suffice, I just didn't want to kill my frame from a week there ya know??

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 10:01 Quote
I dont think you will. I have ridden a new style blindside, old Bullit, and a V10 in Whistler, I had the least fun on the V10 which is the only full on DH bike

If you got something new, what would you get?

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 10:05 Quote
Preferably a bottlerocket or an ss. The br has half an inch more travel then my coiler. My other choice is just upgrading the rear shock to something more responsive and plush.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 10:11 Quote
The Vivid is a sweet shock once its dialed in. A Bottlerocket would be great in Whistler, but if you are only looking add half an inch of travel, I would say just save your coil, if you were looking into something like a 7 inch bike, I may say look into a new frame, but if you are just bumping up a half inch, I would say hold off

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 10:22 Quote
I would say get a new frame personally. Get one for the long run, your specs are absolutly amazing, but the coiler frame seems like a bit of a let down I guess? It will be completly fine in whistler, but in the long run I would say go with a new frame.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 10:24 Quote
Freerideguy14 wrote:
I would say get a new frame personally. Get one for the long run, your specs are absolutly amazing, but the coiler frame seems like a bit of a let down I guess? It will be completly fine in whistler, but in the long run I would say go with a new frame.

I would agree with that. In the long run, your build is too good for the frame, I would not stress about having to get a new frame before you head to Whistler, but at the end of the day, a better frame would be ideal for long term rideability

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 11:51 Quote
I was thinking about getting the new vivid air, what do you guys think??

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 12:05 Quote
If I got the air, I could throw the air on the br frame I'll get later on.

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 17:16 Quote
I have a coiler and have ridden it a few times at whistler its fine those frames are tough also the bottle rocket has 5.5 inches of travel the coiler has six inches so your frame has more travel than the BR. Lastly you are running totem and the max travel fork coilers are meant to take is 170mm and totem have a high ride height so that could put stress on you head tube. I'm not sure if it would cause problems but its risky going out of manufacturer guidlines.

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 17:36 Quote
Just blindly throwing some ideas out there. I'm not making recommendations because I do not have any personal experience with these frames. (Got flamed for that before...Rolleyes )

Transition:
Blindside; 170-190mm travel http://transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Blindside.cfm
Santa Cruz:
Nomad; 160mm travel http://www.santacruzmtb.com/nomad/
Bullit; 178mm travel http://www.santacruzmtb.com/bullit/
Giant:
Reign; 160mm travel http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/reign.frameset/7323/44751/
Specialized:
SX Trail frame; 180mm travel http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52839&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 19:07 Quote
swimmingsofa1 wrote:
I have a coiler and have ridden it a few times at whistler its fine those frames are tough also the bottle rocket has 5.5 inches of travel the coiler has six inches so your frame has more travel than the BR. Lastly you are running totem and the max travel fork coilers are meant to take is 170mm and totem have a high ride height so that could put stress on you head tube. I'm not sure if it would cause problems but its risky going out of manufacturer guidlines.

i read that the 07 coiler has 5 inches??? Am i wrong?

also, i've seen people with triple clamps on their coiler which imo is ridiculous...i mean, if i break the frame then it breaks, i like the way it feels with 180 up front though ya know? I got it for really cheap so its not the end of the world, and it's just an excuse to get another newer frame like a bottle rocket or a blindside Drool

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 19:09 Quote
But at the same time you don't want your frame to break and risk getting seriously injured and/or it happening at Whistler. Whistler opens on May 14, right?

Posted: Mar 1, 2011 at 19:10 Quote
simcik wrote:
I dont think you will. I have ridden a new style blindside, old Bullit, and a V10 in Whistler, I had the least fun on the V10 which is the only full on DH bike

If you got something new, what would you get?
dont forget that the V10 is a complete plowbike though. a snappy 8in sled would be much better.

and on topic, I think the coiler will probably be fine (if you like it)

Edit: if you get a new frame I'd suggest a faith.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016886
Mobile Version of Website