Elixir CR Mag

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2011 at 0:34 Quote
Are they really that bad? Is there a trick to bleeding them or something? All I hear is bad things.

Posted: Mar 5, 2011 at 12:20 Quote
they are fine once bled properlySmile

however, their big downfall, especially for aggressive riders who crash, is that the handlebar mounting clamp and body are very vulnerable in a crash situation

the brake lever body is magnesium alloy with a curved lip securing the clamp edge, and this tends to snap where the torx mounting bolt for the handlebar clamp is secured, it literally rips away in a crash

this renders the brake lever body completely useless...I've seen guys using this brake for FR and DH and giving up after a gentle crash and ruining the brake!

then getting the basic Elixir R which is bulletproof and easier to bleed, having crashes and no issues!

the cheaper Elixir R and slightly more expensive Elixir CR use a tougher aluminium alloy body, and a seperate handlebar clamp band that is secured with 2 allen key bolts, and if set at the correct torque, will spin round on your bars in a crash, rather than snapping

Posted: Mar 5, 2011 at 18:05 Quote
i've had elixir R and they were uninspiring. Master cylinder was weak. especially the lever pivot.

I'm contemplating shimano XT vs CR Mags. Same price. along with regular CR and Code R

Posted: Mar 5, 2011 at 21:07 Quote
I could not get the rear brake bled properly on my Elixir CRs. I was following the directions in the Avid bleed kit.

What finally worked for me was to turn the pad contact all the way out (turn in the direction of the arrow) before attaching any syringes.
This maximizes the amount of brake fluid in the lever area. After you're done bleeding, turn the pad contact in the opposite direction of the arrow. This will increase the pressure thus making for solid lever feel.

Posted: Mar 5, 2011 at 21:19 Quote
it says to do that in the juicy bleed directions.

i cant find anything good about any of those brakes. XT have issues in the cold. Code R have the same lever as Elixir R and the Mags sound like a nightmare.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010008
Mobile Version of Website