Powered by Outside

China: Real and Fake, the current situation.

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
China: Real and Fake, the current situation.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 8:46 Quote
China has lots of fake bicycle components available, extreme caution should be used when buying online.

Most likely faked products:

-Bars
-Stems
-Seat posts
-Frames
-Saddles

Brands mostly affected are Truvativ, FSA and Raceface. Taiwanese, Chinese and other Asian brands are less affected, such as Giant, ABR, Wellgo and PRO.

Other products are known as 'cabbage' (surplus) as factories make additional units above those required for export. Common examples are brakes, drive-trains and forks.

Question: "I bought a cheap Truvativ Hussefelt seat-post on the internet, is it fake?" Possibly yes, but it is hard to be sure. Look on the manufacturers website, find the weight, then weigh your product on digital scales, if the weights match you are probably OK.

Question: "I bought a cheap set of Avid Elxir 5 brakes from the internet, are they fake?" Certainly they are real, but there could be a manufacturing defect of some kind or even just need to be bled, or they are a year or two old.

Question: "I bought a cheap Giant XTR frame from the internet, is it real?" Probably it is real, just surplus, but these days you can never be certain.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006002
Mobile Version of Website