How do I get my tire back on my rim?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do I get my tire back on my rim?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 21:53 Quote
I am trying to change my tires over to a new set. everything goes smoothly putting it on the rim until the last few inches where it is really tight and i cant get it on. to give you an idea of how tight it is i broke one of my tire tools trying to wedge it on. how do i get it on???

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 21:59 Quote
jkphotoguy wrote:
I am trying to change my tires over to a new set. everything goes smoothly putting it on the rim until the last few inches where it is really tight and i cant get it on. to give you an idea of how tight it is i broke one of my tire tools trying to wedge it on. how do i get it on???
Use metal tire levers.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 22:01 Quote
well ya first gotta drink a big ol glass of man up.

No but seriously wrestle that thing on, it's a technique you'll get better at in time. A trick I use some times is put the bit your having trouble with on the ground and push grab the tire from the top and push the tire down working your way around to the bottom (you're trying to push as much slack to the trouble area) then pick it up and push it on.

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 22:01 Quote
lube it up and it might sound sketch but i use BIG flat head screw drivers when it gets the hard because there aint no way to bend them or break them lol

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 22:04 Quote
Just force it. Nothing can really go wrong there :3

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 22:08 Quote
make sure the bead of the tire is in the middle of the rim, that helps free up any extra material

Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 22:16 Quote
You dont need tools to change a tire...i can do most bare handed... cant remember what tires i needed to use a lever...

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 8, 2011 at 22:23 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
You dont need tools to change a tire...i can do most bare handed... cant remember what tires i needed to use a lever...
all depends on the rim and tires

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2011 at 6:34 Quote
vexcom wrote:
lube it up and it might sound sketch but i use BIG flat head screw drivers when it gets the hard because there aint no way to bend them or break them lol

I would avoid a screwdriver you are likely to damage your rim, if you must use lever and insist plastic wont cut it, use the PEDROS lever or a moto one

Posted: Mar 9, 2011 at 7:17 Quote
Park Tool tyre levers also work well.

Only snapped two in about 3 years of workshop use.

Posted: Mar 9, 2011 at 7:31 Quote
grab the whole part of the tire that wont go over, and bend it back all over and pull it as hard as u can. thats what i do at least. just my 2 cents

Posted: Mar 9, 2011 at 9:34 Quote
Wow thanks for all the help guys it took me a while but i got it on alright after putting a bunch of lubrication on it then using brute force tup

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 at 17:10 Quote
z-man wrote:
make sure the bead of the tire is in the middle of the rim, that helps free up any extra material

This. tup

So many people get this wrong or overlook it. It's a super easy way to get almost any tire on any rim. Never use tire irons or screw drivers or anything to try to get your tire on, you will end up pinching the tube and then you'll have to start over. Just use your hands: have the section of un-seated tire in question facing away from you with the wheel on the ground, wrap both of your hands around the tire and rim with your fingers pointing down, then roll your hands back up towards your body. Works every time.

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 at 17:23 Quote
ether and a match. that will but hair on you chest. and take if off your face

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 at 17:38 Quote
yea dood jus force it on, i have butcher dh tires, those things are killers to put on

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011018
Mobile Version of Website