How do I get my tire back on my rim?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do I get my tire back on my rim?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 0:16 Quote
seraph wrote:
z-man wrote:
make sure the bead of the tire is in the middle of the rim, that helps free up any extra material

This. tup

So many people get this wrong or overlook it. It's a super easy way to get almost any tire on any rim. Never use tire irons or screw drivers or anything to try to get your tire on, you will end up pinching the tube and then you'll have to start over. Just use your hands: have the section of un-seated tire in question facing away from you with the wheel on the ground, wrap both of your hands around the tire and rim with your fingers pointing down, then roll your hands back up towards your body. Works every time.
this. i haven't used anything but hands to put a tire on in 4 years. if you need levers/tools you are doing it wrong or just need to man-up a bit (no offense ladies)

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 0:17 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:
seraph wrote:
z-man wrote:
make sure the bead of the tire is in the middle of the rim, that helps free up any extra material

This. tup

So many people get this wrong or overlook it. It's a super easy way to get almost any tire on any rim. Never use tire irons or screw drivers or anything to try to get your tire on, you will end up pinching the tube and then you'll have to start over. Just use your hands: have the section of un-seated tire in question facing away from you with the wheel on the ground, wrap both of your hands around the tire and rim with your fingers pointing down, then roll your hands back up towards your body. Works every time.
this. i haven't used anything but hands to put a tire on in 4 years. if you need levers/tools you are doing it wrong or just need to man-up a bit (no offense ladies)

Its so easy I never even noticed it really lol putting my tires back on are super easy.

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 0:21 Quote
the one exception to that was when i was putting a WTB Dissent on a sun singletrack...
holy SHIT! Eek

Tried everything, including murphys on the bead... managed to break a kool stop tire jack Eek

Finally got it after 2 hours and 3 of the shop dudes helping me pull that bead over.

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 1:43 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
the one exception to that was when i was putting a WTB Dissent on a sun singletrack...
holy SHIT! Eek

Tried everything, including murphys on the bead... managed to break a kool stop tire jack Eek

Finally got it after 2 hours and 3 of the shop dudes helping me pull that bead over.

That's nothing. Try a 2.5 WTB Timberwolf SuperDuty DH on a Deemax UST rim. Got it on by hand! Just gotta know the method.

Posted: Mar 22, 2017 at 21:31 Quote
putting on downhill tires is such bitch. i f*cking hate it

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 at 19:59 Quote
natem46 wrote:
putting on downhill tires is such bitch. i f*cking hate it

You bumped a 6yr old thread to say that??

WTF.. its not even that hard, you just gotta make sure the bead OPPOSITE that last 4" is pinched into the center of the rim, so the whole tire can shift towards the tight spot..

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012626
Mobile Version of Website