Quick Questionaire - For My A-Level Design Work

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Quick Questionaire - For My A-Level Design Work
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 5:50 Quote
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am currently doin my A-Levels and am doin Design & Technology as one of my subject. I am designing and making a Mountain Bike Carry/ Storage Case. I need to do Research and Analysis on current products and User Needs. To help me with my work I have made a quick questionaire, which i would much appricate if you could fill out.

Thanks Alot Big Grin

(Copy and Paste to a new post or PM)

What You Ride:

Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: (Y/N)
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: (Y/N)
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: (Y/N)
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: (Y/N)
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: (Y/N)

How Important are the following features to you: Rate (0-5)
5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics
Ease of Use
Practicallity
Security
Protection
Strength
Size
Weight
Volume
Other Storage

Thank You very much,
Any Questions just ask

Loz Big Grin

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 6:13 Quote
Where You Live: toronto
What You Ride: street, park, xc/am, dirt jumps

Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: n
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: y
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: y
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: y
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: n

5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics: 1
Ease of Use 3
Practicallity 5
Security 5
Protection 5
Strength 5
Size 3
Weight 3
Volume 2
Other Storage 1

quick question: do you mean something like this: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.landrys.com/content/Image/SerfasBikeTravelCase.jpg
or like this: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/images/howtouse_1.jpg

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 6:32 Quote
Where You Live: Ontario, Canada
What You Ride: Street, park, trails
Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: (N)
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: (N)
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: (Y)
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: (Y)
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: (N)

5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics(3)
Ease of Use(4)
Practicallity(4)
Security(5)
Protection(5)
Strength(5)
Size(5)
Weight(4)
Volume(4)
Other Storage(3)

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 6:35 Quote
Where You Live:Calgary
What You RideBig Grin J's

Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: No
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: No
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: Yes
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: Maybe
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: yes, (no QR)

Asthetics 3
Ease of Use 5
Practicallity5
Security 5
Protection 5
Strength 5
Size 3
Weight 5
Volume 5
Other Storage 4

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 7:31 Quote
nwd26 wrote:
quick question: do you mean something like this: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.landrys.com/content/Image/SerfasBikeTravelCase.jpg
or like this: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/images/howtouse_1.jpg

Like the first one, where it can be pulled around but also secured down to become a lock box liek the second one.

Mod
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 8:12 Quote
Where You Live: Calgary, Alberta Canada
What You Ride: 2003 Kona Stab Primo dressed to the nines (DH)
Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: Yes
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: Yes
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: Yes
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: No
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: No

5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics 0
Ease of Use 4
Practicallity 5
Security 0
Protection 5
Strength 5
Size 4
Weight 5
Volume 5
Other Storage 0

Just a quick note about this survey. Since the events of 9/11, you cannot lock a bike box as security and the police like to open them up and see that everything is kosher inside. If you do lock a travel case, they will open it up without your consent. Therefore, unless you want a broken lock or tampered travel case, don’t lock it. I often make sure to ask security that if I have to show them what everything is, I will take my time to do it as I want to repack my bike the way I want it done because I know the way I do it, my bike will arrive in one piece an not damaged.

It is very hard to get a light and strong hard shell case. It is sort of take one or the other. Mine weighs 30 pounds empty so I always have to pay excess weight and oversized fees which gets pricey when you are bringing a 40 pound DH rig.

Aesthetics, who cares. If it works and is ugly, I will buy it. Nothing a lot of stickers won’t fix.

I just want something that is light and strong and so do the other people who are interested in travel cases. As long as the bike is protected, that is the most important thing. Extra gear often goes into my smaller duffle bag and I have never had an issue with too many bags or anything. Ease of use is very important as people with DH bikes or larger bikes don’t want to take off a lot of parts as some of them require special tools to get them back on. In other words, the most I want to take off are wheels, pedals, seat/seatpost and handlebar. I don’t want to take forks or derailleurs off. You also have to make these cases easy to transport in busy airports when you pull them since you want it to follow you directly behind you without wobbling. If you have ever tried putting a travel case on a luggage cart, you will appreciate what I am saying. These things stick out 2 feet on either side and you can practically plow someone over with a five foot wide bike box that is 4 feet tall. If you ever see a person doing this in the airport run to your nearest exit!

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 8:18 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Just a quick note about this survey. Since the events of 9/11, you cannot lock a bike box as security and the police like to open them up and see that everything is kosher inside. If you do lock a travel case, they will open it up without your consent. Therefore, unless you want a broken lock or tampered travel case, don’t lock it. I often make sure to ask security that if I have to show them what everything is, I will take my time to do it as I want to repack my bike the way I want it done because I know the way I do it, my bike will arrive in one piece an not damaged.

It is very hard to get a light and strong hard shell case. It is sort of take one or the other. Mine weighs 30 pounds empty so I always have to pay excess weight and oversized fees which gets pricey when you are bringing a 40 pound DH rig.

Aesthetics, who cares. If it works and is ugly, I will buy it. Nothing a lot of stickers won’t fix.

I just want something that is light and strong and so do the other people who are interested in travel cases. As long as the bike is protected, that is the most important thing. Extra gear often goes into my smaller duffle bag and I have never had an issue with too many bags or anything. Ease of use is very important as people with DH bikes or larger bikes don’t want to take off a lot of parts as some of them require special tools to get them back on. In other words, the most I want to take off are wheels, pedals, seat/seatpost and handlebar. I don’t want to take forks or derailleurs off. You also have to make these cases easy to transport in busy airports when you pull them since you want it to follow you directly behind you without wobbling. If you have ever tried putting a travel case on a luggage cart, you will appreciate what I am saying. These things stick out 2 feet on either side and you can practically plow someone over with a five foot wide bike box that is 4 feet tall. If you ever see a person doing this in the airport run to your nearest exit!

A rite, i see what you mean, we dont have problem with that over here, but i definatly see where you are coming from.

Mayb perspecs?? but i then i surpose it throws security out of the window.

Thanks for that, will help alot Big Grin

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 8:18 Quote
Where You Live: rochester ny
What You Ride: bmx, street mtn, free ride

Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: (Y/N) n
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: (Y/N) y
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: (Y/N)y
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: (Y/N) y
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: (Y/N) on the free ride yes (2o mm)

5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics 3
Ease of Use 5
Practicallity 5
Security 5
Protection 5
Strength 5
Size 3
Weight 2
Volume 3
Other Storage 2

FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 9:25 Quote
Where You Live: bristol
What You Ride: hardtail da-bomb with fox 36's

Do you use Bicycle Carry Cases: no
Do you perfer using a carry case than without: no
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: yes
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: Yes

5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics 3
Ease of Use 5
Practicallity 5
Security 5
Protection 5
Strength 5
Size 3
Weight 5
Volume 4
Other Storage 4

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 11:16 Quote
Thanks to the people who have submited, could do with a few more. Thanks

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 14:04 Quote
wkdloz247 wrote:

ok a few more questions: is this meant to be carried around and then "deployed" (for lack of a better word) when you want to lock your bike up? how are you planning on managing that?

also, how do you plan on making it securable to the ground?

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 14:13 Quote
nwd26 wrote:
wkdloz247 wrote:

ok a few more questions: is this meant to be carried around and then "deployed" (for lack of a better word) when you want to lock your bike up? how are you planning on managing that?

also, how do you plan on making it securable to the ground?

It will be a hard carry case on wheels, which can be pulled along and transported around, fit it in your car, put it on a plane ect, but also can store your bicylcle inside of it, in your home, in your garage, or out and about(if you want). It will be secured by locking it to a fixture by a locking chain. The case it self will also be secure with also places to add your own locks.

I am currently in the pre-liminary ideas stage of my design and am just looking into some research, do people use them, would they ise them, ect ect. Im sure the design is going to change whilst i sus different problems out but it is a working project, as is any new product.

Hope that answered your question. Big Grin

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 14:37 Quote

Where You Live: Plymouth UK

What You Ride: DH, DJ, Street, Park, XC

Do you perfer using a carry case than without: Havent tried

Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: Don't ever leave it, but if i did; then yes with 60 locks!!!!

Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: Yes for my DH bike, no for the other 2

Asthetics 3

Ease of Use 5

Practicallity 5

Security 4

Protection 4

Strength 5

Size 5

Weight 4

Volume is that size?... 5

Other Storage 3

Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 14:42 Quote
Where You Live: Terrace BC
What You Ride: DH, DJ, XC, Park,

Do you perfer using a carry case than without: I never used one before
Do you lock your Bicycle up if it is unatended: No
Would You Use a Secure Lock Box to Store your Bicycle: Yes
Would it be a problem if you had to remove your wheels to put your bicycle in a case: No

5=Very Important
0=Very Unimportant
Asthetics 3
Ease of Use 5
Practicallity 5
Security 5
Protection 5
Strength 5
Size 3
Weight 5
Volume 5
Other Storage 5

Mod
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 14:57 Quote
I personally wouldn't make the case larger than it needs to be to accommodate extra gear, as the more the case weighs, the more someone is going to have to pay when they bring it on an airplane because of the luggage restrictions. Therefore, this limits how big the bike box can be in terms of length, width, and height, but if the case is 30 pounds empty and then you put a DH bike that weighs 40-50 pounds, you are already nearly double the maximum allowed weight for one piece of baggage. Now imagine if you could fit all of your gear including the kitchen sink inside of that bike box and you will be at almost 100 pounds and this is going to cost you a pretty penny and airlines will do anything to make a customer pay extra. I was once 5 pounds over weight and they wanted to charge me $50 so I just took out a few pairs of jeans and a shirt and brought them on the plane as my carry on and avoided paying the overweight fee. Also, a lot of people don’t like to mix bikes and gear together as helmets can get damaged easily and so can the hard shell plastic on armour. It gets scratched easily and it can scratch your frame. You also want to make sure that there are enough straps within the case in order to secure the bike inside without it shifting during rough handling. Basically, you don’t need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to travel cases. The ones on the market are already excellent however; the one main area you can focus on is the strength to weight ratio of the cases. Everybody wants the same strength that is present in hard shell cases with the weight of a soft shell case. Something in the area of 20 pounds empty for a hard shell case would be amazing!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.046262
Mobile Version of Website