How much travel do I NEED? 120 vs 140/150

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How much travel do I NEED? 120 vs 140/150
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 6:02 Quote
Trying to decide on a new bike and this choice is killing me. The trails here in northeren vermont are mostly rocky, rooty single track. There are some pretty sketchy/technical downhill sections but my biggest drop would be like 3 feet. I'm pobably an intermediate rider, 5'8 170lbs. My last bike(that I sold) was a Heckler with a 36 talas and dhx coil, before that a cannondale hardtail. It was my first F.S. bike that I got for a really good deal and rode for 2 summers. It changed my riding for sure but I'm thinking that it was overkill for my needs.

So my question- for singletrack/light all mountain, is 20-30mm more travel really going help me?

Should I go with the longer travel so that when I improve I won't want a new bike?

I'm looking at a remedy 7 or fuel 8 for new bikes as I want to stay around $2000 and my buddy(who owns a shop)can get me a great deal but I'm really searching the used bikes on here. Looking at the blur lt1, yeti 575, enduro/stumpjumper, ect.

Is new better? I know Fox recently tweaked their shocks. Mabey a new fuel/remedy is better then a 3-4 year bike? The Treks get great reviews.

HELP!!

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 6:30 Quote
Well, I am no professional but I can atleast put my opinion in to help you out a little bit. I am from Buffalo, NY and we have mostly rooty singletrack as well with drops ranging from 1-3 feet typically. Not so many rocks but still, trails seem to be similar to yours in Vermont. I started on a Hardtail and loved it, but once I swiched to my current bike (GT Force - 6" travel bike) I never have or never will look back. Although most (70%) of my riding only needs probaby 4 or 4.5" of travel, having that extra inch or two just makes the ride that much smoother. Hitting 3' drops is like hitting a root, they are so smooth.

My recommendation, Remedy 7. It has enough suspension for almost anything you can dish out and yet isnt overkill if you just wanna head out for a cross country ride. If you get the Fuel, and in a year decide its not enough, then your going to be in the same boat you are now...

Not sure if I just rambled or helped you out, but thats my thought process on it all.

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 8:58 Quote
While 6 inches may be too much for what you ride now, you can always got a on a trip and have the prefect bike for the job

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 15:33 Quote
I went from 4.5 inches travel bike to 6.5 inches travel bike and never look back. Our trails here in Norcal is a mix of XC to All mountain and DH (Northstar in Tahoe).

My current bike.

photo

Posted: Mar 16, 2011 at 19:10 Quote
I get by with 120 mm just fine. Sure I take a kicking on long DH's but I can ride any XC AM trail in the area. I guess what it comes down to is that in your price range you're really going to sacrifice weight for that extra inch of travel. Spend 5K on that SJ Evo, or Mojo HD and you will never regret it. It's just not totally necessary.

If you do go bigger travel stay with a lighter fork and air sprung rear shock. 32mm stanchions, 9 mm or even QR 15, and something RP23 ish and you're GTG.

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 at 23:15 Quote
if this bike is going to be your one and only, do-all bike, I would err on the side of less travel. you said you already can do most anything local on 120, so i wouldn't go above 140 unless you're looking for a bigger hit/downhill machine or something you'll only end up riding when you take it on road trips. unless you live for the downhills, the bigger bike will have you kicking yourself on the flats and uphills for a really small benefit on the downs.

if you're looking to just add a bike to the stable, go big! i have a hardtail with a 100-140mm fork that can more than handle all the local stuff and added a 6" full sus for when i want a couch ride or leave the state.

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 at 23:32 Quote
I had longer travel bikes back in the day, and while they were great I much prefer shorter travel now. In fact, my latest bike it a full rigid. If I were you I would run around 120mm, thats pretty ideal I think. It forces you to be a little better rider too and more accountable for what you decide to run into.

Take a look at some of Banshees offerings, the Spitfire is 127mm of travel (kind puts you in between). Slap a 130mm Minute on the front and you will be able to use it for pretty much anything.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 7:29 Quote
Thanks for all the sugestions. I'm looking very hard right now at a 2010 stumpjumper expert. 140mm of travel but with a talas fork. Thinking(hoping) it might be just right.

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 7:51 Quote
hey man. I'm riding a '10 stumpjumper elite for all around use. I always leave the talas in full travel, even on steep climbs because pedaling gets harder with it in lower settings. its easier to climb at full travel and lean forward more. the head tube is kind of steep for decents too, and cane creek angleset headsets won't fit. the stumpy evo would be ideal for me. fixed 150mm fork and slacker head angle. not sure on price though.
If the 2010 expert is a really good deal now, you will be very happy with it I think. great for all mountain with real climbs.

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 8:44 Quote
I ride southern WV and some of VA on my Fisher Roscoe 140mm.There is alot of rocky rooty singletrack and 3ft drops if you look for them.My bike handles all this and then some.Having said that,when I am doing all-mountain type areas it is perfect,when I doing more xc type ridingI cant help but wonder how much a carbon trek fuel ex costs 120mm.Some xc where you dont even use your full travel it makes you wonder about a smaller bike.My roscoe weighs 32 lbs as it is set up more all-mountain and is definitely a burly bike by xc standards.I realize everyone cant have a stable of bikes to choose from.I believe head angle and bike weight are just as important as travel.It sounds like you need a fuel ex or a stumpjumper unless you are going to seek bigger and harder to ride obstacles

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 12:35 Quote
I say why not go for a longer travel. With propedal and adjustable forks you can make it right for any kind of ride. I ride and Enduro, 6" in front and back. Drop to climb and bomb to go down. You can have it all.
Like the previous thread, 6" of travel and around 30lbs you can't go wrong. Unless you only ride XC I say go big!
There are so many all purpose bikes out there you can't go wrong.
Mojo HD, Enduro, Remedy...the list goes on and on.
If price is the issue, as it often is, you can always find a good used bike!
$1600 for a Enduro...not to shabby.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 16:45 Quote
I was in the exact same boat as you a few months ago. I ended up getting a 9.8 Remedy. so far I love the bike, but its march in northern MN so i can't say too much about it.

I started with a trek hardtail in 2007. End of 2007 I bought a specialized epic. 2009 sold the epic and got a 2008 120mm travel stumpjumper and absolutely loved the bike. Not a huge fan of the brain tho. Fast forward tho 2011.. I now own a 2010 Trek remedy 9.8. Like I said earlier I dont have much seat time on it, but I'm fairly certain I will love the extra travel.

Basically, through my last 4 years in the sport I have steadily upped my travel. Maybe next year I'll be on something bigger like a Nomad? Who knows.

I vote:

Remedy
Yeti 575
Ibis Mojo
Blur LT

All should be good bikes. But I would steer you in the direction of a 140-150mm travel bike. Unless your racing why the hell not have more travel?

Posted: Mar 20, 2011 at 20:06 Quote
I would say Blur LT, Mojo, Spitfire.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 7:46 Quote
I love the Mojo for this kind of ridding, light fast and stable, and cheaper this year as well. But personally my favorite is the Abra Cadabra. A bike that climbs well, but descends or handles rocky terrain like a freeride bike. There is something truly magic about magic link.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 17:48 Quote
I say go for the travel. A good 5 or 6-inch-travel XC bike gives you more options--and you don't give up any pedaling efficiency. The bonus is, if you are having a bad bike-handling day, the extra travel can make up for a lot of mistakes. My lightweight 26er is an SC Blur LTc.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012826
Mobile Version of Website