Downhill rigs to avoid

PB Forum :: Downhill
Downhill rigs to avoid
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:10 Quote
hey, i'm looking for a new downhill frame, and i dont plan on taking too much care of it, having to fix it, and showing it as much abuse as i can.... so instead of what do ya recommend post... thought it might be more interesting to have a what to stay away from post.

i reckon commencal is the first brand to stay away from, i heard of too many of them cracking

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:21 Quote
Dude, I know the perfect bike for you....

Trek Session 88.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:29 Quote
Lol, the meta's had a cracking spree, thats all sorted

I've never heard of the Supreme or Supreme Dh's cracking

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 Quote
[Quote="ciaran041i reckon commencal is the first brand to stay away from, i heard of too many of them cracking[/Quote]

The problem at Commencal was mainly on thier Meta range; very few incidents of Supremes cracking.

Still, not a 'fit and forget' type of bike though.

Maybe a Spec Bighit would suit?

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 Quote
i don't think any downhill bike is 'fit and forget'

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:34 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
i don't think any downhill bike is 'fit and forget'

Nor do I.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:37 Quote
what about giant glorys? any good?

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:38 Quote
Well, Any single pivot is your best option. If the bearings wear out, theres not many to replace!

Theres a couple bikes that are fit and forget, theyre called hardtails. Any fully needs maintenance and replacement (bearings, grease...and the like)

And thats on top of your normal maintenance that comes with bikes.

It all depends on your price range. Hell, an Orange is a sweet bike..... but theres a lot more you can get cheaper out there.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:41 Quote
Redwolf2 wrote:
Well, Any single pivot is your best option. If the bearings wear out, theres not many to replace!

Theres a couple bikes that are fit and forget, theyre called hardtails. Any fully needs maintenance and replacement (bearings, grease...and the like)
And thats on top of your normal maintenance that comes with bikes.

It all depends on your price range. Hell, an Orange is a sweet bike..... but theres a lot more you can get cheaper out there.

Was just about to add I had a 2008 Sasquatch with 2007 Morzocchi 66's on it, Mavic 729s, that I never had to touch but not really a DH rig.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:53 Quote
I think that from what you have described you want, you are after a bike with a open bath design fork (least looking after) and a frame with as few bearings as possible to replace, but you have to take into consideration the stress on shock bushes also. I take it you will want a full build and not want to build from a frame kit? Here are some suggestions based on what is available in the UK and Eire from the Buy/sell on PB:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/740901/
- Single pivot with moto link which is long lasting, simple open bath 888 which could do with a change of oil once a year if you can be bothered, sram x9 is good and reliable...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/802775/
-VPP/maestro suspension system, easy to get bearings although they do last, little play on shock bushes, bombproof frame and those fit and forget 888's...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/773358/
Single pivot, only two bearings, sram x7&9 solid, good old 888's, worth a look..

Frames and forks to avoid are all dependent on the year of production, for example the first 2 year batch of the Scot Gambler frame suffered from the chain-stay cracking at ease. The first generation of Session 88 is as strong as a empty can of Coke. Marzocchi 888's from 2007 & 2008 had issues and all of their ATA systems are to avoid!

Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 12:11 Quote
willshiels wrote:
I think that from what you have described you want, you are after a bike with a open bath design fork (least looking after) and a frame with as few bearings as possible to replace, but you have to take into consideration the stress on shock bushes also. I take it you will want a full build and not want to build from a frame kit? Here are some suggestions based on what is available in the UK and Eire from the Buy/sell on PB:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/740901/
- Single pivot with moto link which is long lasting, simple open bath 888 which could do with a change of oil once a year if you can be bothered, sram x9 is good and reliable...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/802775/
-VPP/maestro suspension system, easy to get bearings although they do last, little play on shock bushes, bombproof frame and those fit and forget 888's...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/773358/
Single pivot, only two bearings, sram x7&9 solid, good old 888's, worth a look..

Frames and forks to avoid are all dependent on the year of production, for example the first 2 year batch of the Scot Gambler frame suffered from the chain-stay cracking at ease. The first generation of Session 88 is as strong as a empty can of Coke. Marzocchi 888's from 2007 & 2008 had issues and all of their ATA systems are to avoid!

Hope this helps.

yeah i think the giant would be my choice. cheers.
Any horror stories? frames breaking?

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 13:09 Quote
the older Glories are a little on the heavy side, but they're seriously overbuilt. and the maestro suspension design does work quite well. mine does like to eat bearings on occasion, but that can happen to any DH bike.

2004-2007, and 2010+ 888s are set and forget. and you can now buy FAR better aftermarket damping cartridges for the older 888s (Avalanche) to bring performance up with the best if you want (and still remain set and forget). other high-end DH forks like the Boxxer and 40 can be quite reliable if you keep up with regular maintenance.

I honestly don't know of any bikes other than the Jamis BAM that I'd avoid.

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 20:24 Quote
i run a 2006 devinci 8 flat 8 and it has a 888vf fork on it. i changed the bearings on it (40 bucks) and nothing else rode the shit outta it for 2 seasons before i chose to upgrade parts on it but still the same fork. and it is a tank set it and forget it bike for sure

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 21:12 Quote
beware that the newer glory's do have a rumoured reputation of snapping near the seat tube.
the old ones are bomb proof though, but heavy

that saying I haven't had to do any heavy maintenance on my glory (09) and all is working well, except for my cracked boxxer which isn't anything to do with the frame its self anyway.
i cant recommend any set and forget forks from my experience because anything i have used has always needed a bit of maintenance here and there

Posted: Mar 17, 2011 at 21:35 Quote
If it moves, Itll need maintenance at some time or another, in some sort of fashion.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011513
Mobile Version of Website