New DH frame

PB Forum :: Downhill
New DH frame
Posted: Mar 22, 2011 at 8:11 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
20% sag is good for freeriding and jumping, but IMO it's not supple enough to soak up small stuff and keep traction for high speed DH runs. 30-35% sag (depending on the bike) is more akin to DH. the first thing I'd do is swap out springs for something lighter to get proper sag.
ya for dh it sucks i the only resone that i have not changed the spring for a another one is because of my harder riding style (in other words i suck at flow lol) and that is why i like 20% sag however you are very right that for real dh i have lots of problems with the small stuff and being bounced around

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 at 16:26 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
there has never been a 10" travel Glory.
Glory DHs, like mine, have the most travel at 8.8".

a good shock setup should never pack up in the chunder, rarely hard bottom, but should use all of its travel in the bigger stuff. good rear suspension design should pedal well (even in rough stuff), and should be 100% active while braking (again, in the rough stuff). faux-bar suspensions, like those used in the past on Konas etc, are notorious for not being 100% active while the suspension is being cycled, as well as having mediocre pedaling efficiency.

but it's still possible that the Operator isn't as bad as the older Kona DH bikes. still wish they offered a rear floating brake to be absolutely sure that it was at least active while braking.

20% sag is good for freeriding and jumping, but IMO it's not supple enough to soak up small stuff and keep traction for high speed DH runs. 30-35% sag (depending on the bike) is more akin to DH. the first thing I'd do is swap out springs for something lighter to get proper sag.
haha 10" as in 2010 glory xD sry about that but anyways.. no suspension design can remain 100% active, maestro is good but not perfect( owned a reign and ridden glory and faith)the thing with maestro is that its a good compromise for everything ( small bump, big hits , plush) but the thing its great at is pedaling.

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 at 20:13 Quote
glory00 wrote:
thereisnospoon wrote:

a good shock setup should never pack up in the chunder, rarely hard bottom, but should use all of its travel in the bigger stuff. good rear suspension design should pedal well (even in rough stuff), and should be 100% active while braking (again, in the rough stuff). faux-bar suspensions, like those used in the past on Konas etc, are notorious for not being 100% active while the suspension is being cycled, as well as having mediocre pedaling efficiency.

but it's still possible that the Operator isn't as bad as the older Kona DH bikes. still wish they offered a rear floating brake to be absolutely sure that it was at least active while braking.

haha 10" as in 2010 glory xD sry about that but anyways.. no suspension design can remain 100% active, maestro is good but not perfect( owned a reign and ridden glory and faith)the thing with maestro is that its a good compromise for everything ( small bump, big hits , plush) but the thing its great at is pedaling.

i would go for a glory,i just builded a glory and so far i love it.

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 at 20:38 Quote
ilikedh wrote:
glory00 wrote:
thereisnospoon wrote:

*built*

but yes, Glory's are sick, I highly recommend them

Edit: my apologies for the spelling comment, I see English isn't your first language. Redface

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 6:51 Quote
glory00 wrote:

of course nothing is perfect, maestro/4bar/VPP etc included. I've owned single pivot, VPP, 4-bar and now Maestro DH bikes, there are definitely pluses and minuses to each. some suspension designs definitely do more things well than others. really depends on what you're willing to live with in terms of compromises.

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 8:47 Quote
Yeti 303 RDH should be on your list for sure, especially since Go-Ride has them on sale for 1500 right now (small and medium only though).

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 11:49 Quote
petjosh wrote:
Yeti 303 RDH should be on your list for sure, especially since Go-Ride has them on sale for 1500 right now (small and medium only though).
now its only small

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 at 18:47 Quote
Nobble wrote:
ilikedh wrote:
glory00 wrote:

*built*

but yes, Glory's are sick, I highly recommend them

Edit: my apologies for the spelling comment, I see English isn't your first language. Redface

yup, dont worry

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 17:43 Quote
I think the question that needs to be asked is how much do you intend in pedal this bike? If very little to none then defiantly a Glory , or a Demo. FSR and Maestro are both very plush, and active suspensions. If you are going to be pedaling more the blindside was mentioned and would be excellent.

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 17:48 Quote
PhoS wrote:
I think the question that needs to be asked is how much do you intend in pedal this bike? If very little to none then defiantly a Glory , or a Demo. FSR and Maestro are both very plush, and active suspensions. If you are going to be pedaling more the blindside was mentioned and would be excellent.
ummm....

the glory is one of the best pedaling downhill bikes on the market... Rolleyes Book

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 18:26 Quote
The blindside is a simple single pivot and doesnt pedal as well as the glory. FSR doesnt pedal to well either. Go for the glory.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 18:53 Quote
Nobble wrote:
PhoS wrote:
ummm....

the glory is one of the best pedaling downhill bikes on the market... Rolleyes Book

ummm yea, pedaling down hills that is. I meant that if hes going to be doing more FR style riding get the blindside which is a big hit FR bike. OP sounds like he needs something like a Scythe since he wants to keep his double crown fork.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
komodo1 wrote:
The blindside is a simple single pivot and doesnt pedal as well as the glory. FSR doesnt pedal to well either. Go for the glory.

I've had 5+ single pivot bikes that pedal just fine.

Posted: Jun 20, 2011 at 22:15 Quote
PhoS wrote:
komodo1 wrote:

I've had 5+ single pivot bikes that pedal just fine.
Have you actually ridden a glory?

Single pivots aint got shit...

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 6:49 Quote
ok im ending this here. i found a very good deal on a unused 09 blindside. so thanks for the help and suggestions!
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016977
Mobile Version of Website