Do i really need to buy a new chain if i switch to 10spd,or can i use my 9 speed chain?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Do i really need to buy a new chain if i switch to 10spd,or can i use my 9 speed chain?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 18:27 Quote

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 at 18:55 Quote
probably better to just post this in one of the quick question threads,

uhh no,

you need a 10spd chain

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 2:34 Quote
he's right 10 spd chain is narrower than 9 spd .so it wont worke with it.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 3:21 Quote
Why would you wanna go 10 speed anyways? As described above 10 speed means even narrower chains which is of course going to mean they wear out even quicker. 9 Speed wears out quick enough as it is. If I had my way I would run 8 speed but cant get any decent components in 8 speed anymore. And soon they will prob faze out 9 speed as well and force us to all go 10 speed. Pain in the arse.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 4:48 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Why would you wanna go 10 speed anyways? As described above 10 speed means even narrower chains which is of course going to mean they wear out even quicker. 9 Speed wears out quick enough as it is. If I had my way I would run 8 speed but cant get any decent components in 8 speed anymore. And soon they will prob faze out 9 speed as well and force us to all go 10 speed. Pain in the arse.
yes you're right 10 spd will wear out quicker but you will have more choice for choosing the righter gear.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 11:55 Quote
kaveh wrote:
typecaRl wrote:
yes you're right 10 spd will wear out quicker but you will have more choice for choosing the righter gear.

There are too many gears as it is. I very rarely change gear. I just find one Im happy with and ride with that. Im going down hill most of the time anyways. And then use another gear to get me back to the car and maybe another if I get a bit tiered in that gear. I never use all my gears.

Fair enough I guess by all means bring out 10 speed. But I just hope they still keep the good components for 9 speed as well so people have a choice. Unlike 8 speed now where you choice is pretty much Acera and thats about it lol.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 12:30 Quote
i run all sram 8 speed stuff its easy to find parts for 8 speed

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 15:22 Quote
But I dont like Sram. Im a Shimano guy through and through

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 16:30 Quote
your missin alot I've rode high end shimano stuff and it sucked when i wanted it to shift it didn't and i'm talking professionaly tuned
i have a x-4 shifter and a x-7 derailleur as soon as the shifter clicks to the next gear it shifts almost instantly on the pack

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 16:43 Quote
typecaRl wrote:

U r rigth my friend ...

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 17:07 Quote
justa10custom wrote:
your missin alot I've rode high end shimano stuff and it sucked when i wanted it to shift it didn't and i'm talking professionaly tuned
i have a x-4 shifter and a x-7 derailleur as soon as the shifter clicks to the next gear it shifts almost instantly on the pack

Are you seriously saying that low end Sram is better than High end Shimano? lol. Mate I work with this stuff all day everyday. obviously your shimano wasnt set up properly if you had issues. Dont get me wrong high end sram is good. I wont deny that. But I just prefer shimano. I think its because where people say sram is more positive. I say its clunky. At the end of the day its all personal preferance. But cheap end shimano is way better than cheap end sram. Anything below x5 you are wasting your time. Even x7 isnt great. So therefore you have to pay the crazy prices for x9 or the even more insane prices for x0. When in my opinion a well set up budget Shimano Deore system works way nicer. But I personally run Shimano XT

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2011 at 20:16 Quote
I had to do 10spd on my dh bike this year because I couldnt find any good 9spd stuff at our distributer, kinda sucks. But now I am gonna put a bigger range cassete on (like 11-34 instead of my usual 11-27) that way my gear gaps remain similair but I'll have a low gear for when I gotta climb the thing.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 17:19 Quote
Only the outer dimension is narrower between 10-speed and nine-speed chain. The sprocket widths are the same, so are the chain' pins and rollers. The only differences are in the thickness of the side plates and the fact that 10-speed pins have to be riveted more carefully to withstand lateral forces. Wear should be equal between the nine and ten-speed chains.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013784
Mobile Version of Website