Spanish bb is there anyway to put mtb cranks with like a conversion or something?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Spanish bb is there anyway to put mtb cranks with like a conversion or something?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 20:56 Quote
I have a 2010 kona honky with a spanish bb(stupid bmx cranks) is there any conversions or something to make it so i can use mountain bike cranks ie: shimano saint cranks

thx

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 21:38 Quote
why would you want to run saints?

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 21:39 Quote
SugarDaddy45642 wrote:
why would you want to run saints?

Because Saints are un-arguably in the top 3 as far as strength to weight ratios.

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 at 7:43 Quote
bikerbubbles1 wrote:
I have a 2010 kona honky with a spanish bb(stupid bmx cranks) is there any conversions or something to make it so i can use mountain bike cranks ie: shimano saint cranks

thx
actually I've heard somewhere that you can get both bearing off the saint bb and press them in the spanish bb then it would work, ask this guy, he did it a while ago.

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 at 8:53 Quote
If that doesn't work, you can probably find bearings with the inner diameter of a Saint spindle. 24mm I believe ?

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 at 8:55 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
If that doesn't work, you can probably find bearings with the inner diameter of a Saint spindle. 24mm I believe ?
dude, the bearing in the saint bb fit the crank spindle (obv) and it will also fit the spanish bb frame.

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 at 9:01 Quote
IF. Notice it. IF. a big IF. lol

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 10:22 Quote
hey guys im at the state where i press in the bearings i hammered out of my shimano euro BB but what spacers can i use because the cranks will be far apart ? cant find spacers the right size what do i use ?

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 13:36 Quote
Ridingwhatican wrote:
hey guys im at the state where i press in the bearings i hammered out of my shimano euro BB but what spacers can i use because the cranks will be far apart ? cant find spacers the right size what do i use ?
Might sound dumb, but if you have absolutely nothing, take the kinda plastic pipe that is usually in the bb, and cut it at what lenght you need. it should work.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 13:42 Quote
drpepperrider2 wrote:
Ridingwhatican wrote:
Might sound dumb, but if you have absolutely nothing, take the kinda plastic pipe that is usually in the bb, and cut it at what lenght you need. it should work.

yep mate thanks for answering thats what i've done after i saw a guy used his BB sleeve as spacers.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 13:52 Quote
Ridingwhatican wrote:
drpepperrider2 wrote:
Ridingwhatican wrote:

yep mate thanks for answering thats what i've done after i saw a guy used his BB sleeve as spacers.
No problem!

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 at 13:52 Quote
Ridingwhatican wrote:
drpepperrider2 wrote:
Ridingwhatican wrote:

No problem!

Posted: Jul 6, 2011 at 17:53 Quote
Ok I'll be doing this in a week.
Any advice?
is it easy to get the bearing pressed in to the frame? I don't want to screw up on my 700$ brand new frame..

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 at 9:32 Quote
The axle on mtb cranks is going to be to wide even if you press the bearings into the frame, you have to find some jimmy rigged way to space the axle on the crank. I'll post photos of press in cups a friend of mine made on his lathe, they adapt from a spanish BB to shimano or truvativ cranks, you just need to press the bearing out of the said BB and into these adapter cups, if anyone is interested in buying a set to make things easy let me know, he'll be making a few extra sets to sell.

Posted: Sep 20, 2011 at 13:53 Quote
cmacdougall wrote:
The axle on mtb cranks is going to be to wide even if you press the bearings into the frame, you have to find some jimmy rigged way to space the axle on the crank. I'll post photos of press in cups a friend of mine made on his lathe, they adapt from a spanish BB to shimano or truvativ cranks, you just need to press the bearing out of the said BB and into these adapter cups, if anyone is interested in buying a set to make things easy let me know, he'll be making a few extra sets to sell.
have the same problem, i'd totally buy those adaptors if he's got some left.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014766
Mobile Version of Website