Best Bike for O-cup Racing?

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Best Bike for O-cup Racing?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 at 20:23 Quote
Well i am racing o-cup next year, I have been to blue mountain and kelso (twice blue once kelso) And I am not 100% sure on the bike i am going to need to do all 6 courses. My number one pick as of now is a Giant Reign X with a Lyrik. But i dont know if this is going to be enough travel. I am not a hack or weigh alot but i do like a buttery smooth ride. So my question is are there any other bikes i can really consider for ontario, That i will be able to pedal, and still fly over bumpy sections.

OR I throw a totem or 66 ata on the reign X.

Thanks, Ryan.

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 5:47 Quote
The reign X would be a solid bike. Also consider Commencal Supreme Mini DH, 6" of travel, a downhill geometry, pedals well, and decent weight.

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 13:52 Quote
A bike like that will work well on all of the courses except at Fortune. That trail is so gnarly and rocky, you definitely want a big DH bike for that.

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 13:54 Quote
so a reign x with a lyrik would be good?

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:07 Quote
windsorbighitrider wrote:
so a reign x with a lyrik would be good?

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. You'll survive at fortune (just so long as you make the right line choices) but a full bore DH rig is much better suited to the gnar of Q-cup

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:13 Quote
i used to race o-cup and felt like a tool with an 8.5" bike... take a look a drew pautler... the dude wins most of the races on an enduro bike...

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:26 Quote
Sx trail or a regin with a 66,totem or 36 van, seems perfect from what i've seen

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:37 Quote
maybe the glory 0 but probably too much travel

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:45 Quote
so i could probably get away with like a bottle rocket onyl using thing frame as an example. would never buy one. But to play er safe get the reign with a lyrik. I plan on winning the race in the pedal sections, not plowin the rock garden (not sayin i cant).

So everyone would agree with the reign with lyrik?

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:49 Quote
yes you will kill it with that. go for it.

Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:50 Quote
freeridemachine wrote:
yes you will kill it with that. go for it.

don't encourage me, racing is 5 damn months away and i can't wait as is lol

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 at 17:53 Quote
yeah you'll be fine for sure ive never raced o-cup(cause im 13 but i am when im a bit older)but ive been to kelso's once blue like 9 times and fortune once with my norco aline which has 9 inchs of travel in the back and i just rode over every single thing it was like riding on a road definatly get the giant it will be prefect for ya

hope this helped a bit Smile

Brad

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 12:49 Quote
The reign X is an awsome bike for the O-cup. I raced and road mine at blue all summer and the suspension was perfect. I wouldn't want to get any more travel and the 6.7 was more then enough for everything. all in all the bike is awsome for riding in ontario. Plus being that it has a SC it isn't too long. it is a very snappy bike and the handiling is supreme on the course. as far as using a Lyric well i have never used that fork but with the 36 van R it seemed to be the perfect setup. I'll say you should def pick that bike up. This season I was the only one there with the X1 that I noticed and I was there alot so you may not get alot of people with actual experience on the bike for riding blue but I can sasy it was the best bike I have ever run on Ontario trails.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 12:52 Quote
scotty2pins wrote:
The reign X is an awsome bike for the O-cup. I raced and road mine at blue all summer and the suspension was perfect. I wouldn't want to get any more travel and the 6.7 was more then enough for everything. all in all the bike is awsome for riding in ontario. Plus being that it has a SC it isn't too long. it is a very snappy bike and the handiling is supreme on the course. as far as using a Lyric well i have never used that fork but with the 36 van R it seemed to be the perfect setup. I'll say you should def pick that bike up. This season I was the only one there with the X1 that I noticed and I was there alot so you may not get alot of people with actual experience on the bike for riding blue but I can sasy it was the best bike I have ever run on Ontario trails.

Thats good because i already went ahead and bought the frame and fork lol. Soon to come are the 823s on hadleys Eek Can't freaking wait.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 16:22 Quote
Your going to love the Hadley... I run Hadley's on 729's, awesome wheels, pure bomb proof. The only issue I have with the Hadley rear is the free hub body has some notching in it from the cassette, it is very minor at this point in time but I have only had it for 1/3 of the season. I may upgrade the free hub body to the Ti version in the future. Just something to watch for. I have heard of guys having to tap the cassette back into the proper groves with a hammer before being able to remove it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015024
Mobile Version of Website