My new Intense Slopestyle- finnally here!

PB Forum :: Downhill
My new Intense Slopestyle- finnally here!
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 12:25 Quote
yeh cheers mate. It was ISCG. Its all fitted now after lots of mucking around with spacing. What a pain in the arse lol. Just deciding if a 32 tooth chain ring is gonna be enough now. I run that on my jump bike and find it about right for me. But I am told these bikes really need at least a 36 tooth. Which I do have one of. But thing is I dont do downhill racing. I dont tend to pedal when going downhill. I just roll. So I would rather have the smaller ring so I can actually ride it normally as well. I want this bike as kinda an all rounder rather than a pure downhill bike.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 14:29 Quote
that seems pretty light?????
mine has lighter parts but weighs 34.1 pounds.

nice build though

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 15:16 Quote
Just out of interest. What way is best to route the cables? I see most of you seem to run them down the down tube. Im thinking underneath the top tube as I think it may look neater. But is there any reason why most of you guys seem to have run your cables that way?

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Just out of interest. What way is best to route the cables? I see most of you seem to run them down the down tube. Im thinking underneath the top tube as I think it may look neater. But is there any reason why most of you guys seem to have run your cables that way?

its hard to get a clean routing under the TT. you have to undo the bolts for the shock, then the pivot and then the only clean way to do it is try and pass it through this little triangle in the back.
the downside of removing the pivot bolts is that you will break the locktite and could potentially have problems with it coming loose.

and once you do all of this if you have any brake problems you have to redo the process.
me and my friend both have slopestyles and we both run it on the downtube after alot of stress and wasted time trying to run it along the TT.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 0:43 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
typecaRl wrote:

its hard to get a clean routing under the TT. you have to undo the bolts for the shock, then the pivot and then the only clean way to do it is try and pass it through this little triangle in the back.
the downside of removing the pivot bolts is that you will break the locktite and could potentially have problems with it coming loose.

and once you do all of this if you have any brake problems you have to redo the process.
me and my friend both have slopestyles and we both run it on the downtube after alot of stress and wasted time trying to run it along the TT.

Do you have to undo all the pivots? Cant you just zip tie the cable out of the way as it passes the suspension linkage? Obviously making sure you allow for movement.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Do you have to undo all the pivots? Cant you just zip tie the cable out of the way as it passes the suspension linkage? Obviously making sure you allow for movement.

No you don't have to but the then you are running it between the linkage and the shock. I did it this way but it rubs a little on the shock coil.
its worth a try if you want to give it a go. as your doing it i gaurantee you will be cursing whoever designed it the way they did. like i said earlier. The only Really clean way to Run it under the top tube would require cutting your brake line, running it through everything, reattaching it to the brake caliper and then re bleed the brake.

since switching i actually prefer it to go down the downtube but its all personal preference.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 8:34 Quote
i run my cables down the underside of the downtube, its easy and avoids excessive contact points for the cable to rub the paint.
a neat little trick ive got is a specialized enduro brake and cable guide piece that sits infront of your seat tube, basically it clips onto each cable befor they go around your seat tube and just spaces them perfectly so they dont rub on the downtube as the suspension compressess.
shit explanation, but see if you can blag one, really simple fix.
looks cleaner too.
i dont have any good photos of it but you can just see it on here:
photo

heres a full picture of my bike too:
photo

and one of me ripping it in france:
photo

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 10:28 Quote
ok cheers guys will see what I come up with.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
typecaRl wrote:

btw why exactly did you undo all the bolts? You could have just run your cables/hoses through surely? lol Certainly a lot easier to re set your gears and re bleed your brake rather than taking your frame apart. lol. Thanks for the advice anyways

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
I didn't undo my bolts or rebleed my brake. I ran it inbetween the shock and the link.
Im saying if you want it to run clean and look the best you would have to do one of those things. My rear Der routing was easy but i didn't want to hastle with rebleeding the brake.

i love how it looks now with the cables on the downtube and its so much easier.

like i said, try it and see what you think. its all personal preferance.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 11:49 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
I didn't undo my bolts or rebleed my brake. I ran it inbetween the shock and the link.
Im saying if you want it to run clean and look the best you would have to do one of those things. My rear Der routing was easy but i didn't want to hastle with rebleeding the brake.

i love how it looks now with the cables on the downtube and its so much easier.

like i said, try it and see what you think. its all personal preferance.

Oh sorry mate. Slight mix up. I didnt mean to quote you. I meant to quote the original guy who did undo all his pivot bolts to get the cables through. I understand what you are saying though. Only thing is I dont really like full length gear cables coz your gears never seem to work as well. Well anyways will see what works best for me.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 16:32 Quote
One other thing. What size chain rings do you guys run? I was planning on a 32 tooth as this is what I run on my jump bike and find it fine. But a) a small 32 tooth looks a bit silly on the intense and b) ppl have told me I would need a higher gear on it. But the ppl that told me that are downhill racers so therefore pedal downhill. Im far too lazy for that. I just roll downhills anyways lol. So I prob wont need a higher gear. Would rather have a smaller chainring so it is up out of the way. Plus then I can ride it around for general off road stuff too. Not just downhill. Thing with me Im VERY fussy and like to keep my chain in a straight a line as possible to reduce chain wear and so it runs more smoothly. And I just know if I have a big ring at the front Im always gonna be on the lower gears larger cogs at the back meaning the chain line is really stretched and the chain device is working over time. Im thinking maybe a good compromise might be a 34 tooth. But doubt it will make that much of a difference from a 32 tooth. I do have a 36 tooth laying around which I could also try. And cerntainly wouldnt wanna go more than 36 tooth.

What are your thoughts ppl?

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 20:57 Quote
i run 2 rings, 22 and 32 with a front der. 32 feels perfect. i don't think you will ever run out of gears with it unless you go really really fast.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 15:23 Quote
All done Big Grin Just awaiting my Maxxis Highrollers. Hopefully turning up 2moz. Then gonna ride it with the coil DHX for a while. See how I get on. Then try the DHX air I got and see which one suits me best and whichever one I dont use in the end I will sell to make some of my money back.
Really pleased with how it came out Big Grin Litterally just finished it in my living room 2nite lol. Havent even rode it yet.
Oh and Im also pleased with the cable routing. All seems fine to me. And personally I think it looks much neater. But all personal preference I guess. Cant wait to take her for a spin. Hopefully 2moz once I have the Highrollers fitted as its my day off Big Grin
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/carlb4/SP_A0171.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/carlb4/SP_A0172.jpgUnsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/carlb4/SP_A0174.jpg
Weight as you see it here is pretty much dead on 34 pounds. Weighed on the cenre of gravity (middle point of frame at upper shock mount) balance point. With fishing scales. But that will increase slightly when I put the highrollers on prob. But if I go for the DHX air shock on there in the end I could possibly reduce it and get it more like 32 pounds. Either way Im very pleased with the weight.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
All done Big Grin Just awaiting my Maxxis Highrollers. Hopefully turning up 2moz. Then gonna ride it with the coil DHX for a while. See how I get on. Then try the DHX air I got and see which one suits me best and whichever one I dont use in the end I will see to make some of my money back.
Really pleased with how it came out Big Grin Litterally just finished it in my living room 2nite lol. Havent even rode it yet.
Oh and Im also pleased with the cable routing. All seems fine to me. And personally I think it looks much neater. But all personal preference I guess. Cant wait to take her for a spin. Hopefully 2moz once I have the Highrollers fitted as its my day off Big Grin

I love everything but the chainstay protector. lol Very nice bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020369
Mobile Version of Website