What is the dealer markup on bikes normally?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What is the dealer markup on bikes normally?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 16:23 Quote
You said I was "crazy or confused", and now your telling me to "take my panties out of my ass" Oh, and calm down. You all can go ride your over priced 29ers of a cliff!

Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 19:27 Quote
Dude, get real lol, it was a clear misunderstanding, obviously I was trying to tell whatever that kid was that his info on shop cost and MSRP that he was crazy or confused...I mean, if you want to get all bent out of shape over a simple reading misunderstanding, then be my guest lol I'm not losing sleep over it.

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 19:43 Quote
adkrider wrote:
You said I was "crazy or confused", and now your telling me to "take my panties out of my ass" Oh, and calm down. You all can go ride your over priced 29ers of a cliff!

Now wait just a minute here....

I like my overpriced 29er.

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 7:49 Quote
Old thread, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway...

In my experience, most manufacturer's "pro-deal"/"pro-pricing"/"employee pricing", etc. (whatever they call it) tend to orbit roughly around 25%-35% below standard MSRP.

It may be a 'jump' in logic but I think it's still safe to bet that this is pretty close to their wholesale cost for the bike.

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 20:27 Quote
namdoogttam wrote:
Old thread, but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway...

In my experience, most manufacturer's "pro-deal"/"pro-pricing"/"employee pricing", etc. (whatever they call it) tend to orbit roughly around 25%-35% below standard MSRP.

It may be a 'jump' in logic but I think it's still safe to bet that this is pretty close to their wholesale cost for the bike.

This is accurate. On both accounts. Unless you work for a Trek dealer, then Trek gives employees a bigger break. Most EP deals for bikes is 5% below shop cost, which is typically 25-30% off of manufacturer listed MSRP.

Posted: Sep 15, 2016 at 4:20 Quote
If you want to make a million in the bke industry,
start with 2 million.;-)

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 21:12 Quote
I don't think anyone debates the LBS right to make money and hopefully a lot of it. The problem I have with all the figures thrown around is every shop I've supported in 3 states over the past 20 years has dropped the price in half for last year models on high end bikes. Seems if it was 25% to 35% they would not be willing to take a loss on a one year old bike.
If they make 100%, they deserve it. Given the discounts; that figure actually makes more sense due to the willingness to drop old stock so severely.
I have no data to back up the comments, just purchasing experience.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Scott1959 wrote:
I don't think anyone debates the LBS right to make money and hopefully a lot of it. The problem I have with all the figures thrown around is every shop I've supported in 3 states over the past 20 years has dropped the price in half for last year models on high end bikes. Seems if it was 25% to 35% they would not be willing to take a loss on a one year old bike.
If they make 100%, they deserve it. Given the discounts; that figure actually makes more sense due to the willingness to drop old stock so severely.
I have no data to back up the comments, just purchasing experience.

Depends. If they are being forced to drop pricing 50% on inventory that they have had on the floor all season, bikes that they make a 25 or 30 margin on, then they are taking a bath in the interest of simply freeing funds and making space. However, if the bikes were put on closeout by the manufacturer and bought at a substantial discoint by the dealer, then even at 50% there is room for some profit.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
I broke my chain today while riding. Jensen had the chain for $55 and my LBS wanted $90 for it. I’m fine paying a little bit more locally but I’m not going to be gouged by my LBS. When I asked if they’d match Jensen’s price they did but I’m just not sure why they wanted to charge so much to begin with. Yes, I’m sure Jensen buys stuff cheaper than my LBS just due to volume. But I know they don’t buy stuff half of what my LBS does.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 15:56 Quote
spizike9 wrote:
I broke my chain today while riding. Jensen had the chain for $55 and my LBS wanted $90 for it. I’m fine paying a little bit more locally but I’m not going to be gouged by my LBS. When I asked if they’d match Jensen’s price they did but I’m just not sure why they wanted to charge so much to begin with. Yes, I’m sure Jensen buys stuff cheaper than my LBS just due to volume. But I know they don’t buy stuff half of what my LBS does.

Was it a Shimano chain? I bet it was...

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
spizike9 wrote:

Was it a Shimano chain? I bet it was...

I broke a shimano chain but I was purchasing a KMC chain. The shimano chains were more expensive but only 10-15 bucks.

Reading back on my post I realize I typed $55 but I meant $67.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
spizike9 wrote:

Same here. Brake pads anywhere on the internet Shimano or otherwise $12-20 a pair.
Went to buy some from lbs $45 dollars a pair.
I cringed inside but paid up while why taking mental note to never buy parts from lbs unless it an emergency.

Also don't get the whole it's my responsibility to pay someone else's rent.
If internet shops are killing lbs then lbs need to adapt or die just like everyone else.
My local is all gravel/fat/bikepacking/low-end
I had to show them how to take apart my pivots.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021446
Mobile Version of Website