Neck Brace Danger!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Neck Brace Danger!
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 3:14 Quote
rorywood wrote:
marquis wrote:
rorywood wrote:
+1

kinda,i wouldn't leave home without a helmet but meh to the neck brace.
what do you mean?

I would never ride without my helmet,but i have no plans on buying a neck brace ever.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 3:16 Quote
marquis wrote:
rorywood wrote:
marquis wrote:

what do you mean?

I would never ride without my helmet,but i have no plans on buying a neck brace ever.
ok fair enough lol

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 4:51 Quote
I met a guy up the hill the other day with a real nice KTM brace, apparently for under £200! I'll be checking them out! And to make a point, when my helmet is off, the Neck Brace will be hanging from my handlebars along with my goggles! Salute

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 5:27 Quote
marquis wrote:
rorywood wrote:
marquis wrote:

what do you mean?

Your to old to wear a neck brace you old fart:P

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 5:57 Quote
willshiels wrote:
I met a guy up the hill the other day with a real nice KTM brace, apparently for under £200! I'll be checking them out! And to make a point, when my helmet is off, the Neck Brace will be hanging from my handlebars along with my goggles! Salute
hi yeah i know that guy quite well and after seeing the ktm neck brace - (a re-branded Leatt Adventure 2) i went and got one too - they are great!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 5:59 Quote
rorywood wrote:
willshiels wrote:
hi yeah i know that guy quite well and after seeing the ktm neck brace - (a re-branded Leatt Adventure 2) i went and got one too - they are great!

KTM brace has always been the GPX Sport with the upper carbon tables

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:00 Quote
fantaman wrote:
rorywood wrote:
willshiels wrote:

KTM brace has always been the GPX Sport with the carbon tables
no you can buy the gpx - its bright ornage and yes has the flashy carbon bits but you can get the white adventure 2 with ktm logos on it Big Grin for £199 and i think the junior model is only £109!!!!!!!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:11 Quote
rorywood wrote:
fantaman wrote:
rorywood wrote:

no you can buy the gpx - its bright ornage and yes has the flashy carbon bits but you can get the white adventure 2 with ktm logos on it Big Grin for £199 and i think the junior model is only £109!!!!!!!

Alright my bad when i hear KTM brace i always think right away relabeld GPX sport in Orange which retails still at the shops here for 700 euro.

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:21 Quote
fantaman wrote:
rorywood wrote:
fantaman wrote:

Alright my bad when i hear KTM brace i always think right away relabeld GPX sport in Orange which retails still at the shops here for 700 euro.
ah right no worries Salute

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:35 Quote
Bit of a pain to remove the brace each time you take your helmet off. I think we need to exercise some common sense here.

If you're running around with it on then yes you could trip up. But for walking at normal speeds or pushing up a trail, I think its ok to keep it on. I doubt you keep a helmet on when pushing up to protect your head if you were to slip...

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:39 Quote
JimLad wrote:
Bit of a pain to remove the brace each time you take your helmet off. I think we need to exercise some common sense here.

If you're running around with it on then yes you could trip up. But for walking at normal speeds or pushing up a trail, I think its ok to keep it on. I doubt you keep a helmet on when pushing up to protect your head if you were to slip...
Accidents happen when you least expect them though.
And really leatt removal is just one clip so why wear it more than you have to?

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:44 Quote
Yes but things need to be kept in proportion. I wouldn't walk to the shops in it. But if you are that concerned maybe you should keep your helmet on when you push up in case you fall.

edit: if there was a really steep sketchy bit of trail that there was a high chance of slipping on, I might remove it. Or even better find another route up!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 7:57 Quote
JimLad wrote:
Yes but things need to be kept in proportion. I wouldn't walk to the shops in it. But if you are that concerned maybe you should keep your helmet on when you push up in case you fall.

edit: if there was a really steep sketchy bit of trail that there was a high chance of slipping on, I might remove it. Or even better find another route up!

You are missing the point. It only takes a little force from a fall for the pivot (Neck Brace) to damage the spine. It could happen anywhere, walking trails with it on without a helmet is high risk. It's only a matter of time before it happens..

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 7:58 Quote
willshiels wrote:
JimLad wrote:

You are missing the point. It only takes a little force from a fall for the pivot (Neck Brace) to damage the spine. It could happen anywhere, walking trails with it on without a helmet is high risk. It's only a matter of time before it happens..

when it happens you are f*cked up for life

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 8:00 Quote
fantaman wrote:
willshiels wrote:
JimLad wrote:

when it happens you are f*cked up for life
It's a major safety warning that Leat, AlpineStars etc have in the manual and the majority of riders are ignoring it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014527
Mobile Version of Website