Killswitch - Suitable for some street? (other ideas?)

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Killswitch - Suitable for some street? (other ideas?)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 15:32 Quote
Hey folks, just wondering if the Killswitch frameset is suitable at all (geometry wise) for any street riding? Or is it best at home on DJ/slopestyle terrain?

Do you guys have any suggestions for me, in terms of something that would be ridden street with some rear travel?
Trans Double? Kona Bass?

(I mean, all setup SS of course).

I have knee and back problems, so BMX is done for good (my bikes are up for sale now), and I don't think a Hardtail would be a good option for me either.

hence why I am leaning towards the small travel SS.

I LOVE to do spins off flat (180s, attempting three's) etc, however I don't care for grinds or anything anymore, so I don't have to worry about that.

Any ideas would be welcomed!

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 15:37 Quote
well it is more dj/slopestyle but i'm sure it would be great in street too. my two cents

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 15:49 Quote
definitely going to be one of the better fully frames for street and park. check out the blk mrkt thread and ask a couple of the guys on there for their opinions. Also I would look into the Dobermann Le Pink. I would imagine it might a be a bit better since dobermann has always been a bit more street and blk mrkt. you might want to look up recklessness ( it hink that's his name on herre) he has a le pink and would probably be more than willing to talk to you about it.

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 15:50 Quote
also look into the kona Bass. seems legitimate

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 16:02 Quote
The bass is something I was looking into for sure.

I forgot about Le Pink! It seems better than the double AND killswitch...they're ALL so costly though (except the bass)

Bass seems too long and bulky to spin though Razz

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 16:02 Quote
paul bass can do it!

Posted: Apr 14, 2011 at 17:35 Quote
Facepalm Dont listen to him. Bass have awkward geo. Possibly, possibly you can get a le pink with tweaked geo?

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:21 Quote
lolque wrote:
Facepalm Dont listen to him. Bass have awkward geo. Possibly, possibly you can get a le pink with tweaked geo?

haha That's what I was thinking too! It looks like a really shortened down Freeride bike....not exactly manoeuverable.

Le Pink would be great....but I am not exactly rich, hence I am looking at cheaper options... a used double isn't as bad...le Pink's go for a Fortune.

For example : https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/667157/ $2400! jeebus!

The worst part is that recently sold all my parts that I had (minus wheels) for a complete build..all I needed was a frame! (argyle 409, etc good parts too!) All I had to do was get a used le Pink frame or something!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 6:54 Quote
the bass looks awkward
you should just go with what you want and the killswitch is a decent street bike i saw a dude shred one of those i a video in dirt and on street. so i'd say why not get get one

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 7:30 Quote
justa10custom wrote:
the bass looks awkward
you should just go with what you want and the killswitch is a decent street bike i saw a dude shred one of those i a video in dirt and on street. so i'd say why not get get one

Price I guess.... lol I can have a dialed hardtail (gently used or almost new) for the price of a used frameset.

I'd go with an HT if it weren't for my knees, but then again I may have to because the killswith and le Pink cost a fortune!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 14:50 Quote
i have a Killswitch (the Large, 23"tt)... i personally would not consider it for street riding (i.e. bmx style street, with stuff like 180 and 360 bunnyhops, hops to manuals etc.). it's purely a trails bike for me. i realize you're saying your body is shot from 20".... but just going up to 26" with some nice fat tires should give a hardtail enough cush for you. now, if you just want to do drops off stair sets or something, than yeah, full-suspension is fine on "street."

i know blackmarket did have pics/video of street on a Killswitch.... but i still don't think it's quite right to think it's designed for it. i'm real interested to know how much psi they were running in the shock. i'm 205 lbs and i have mine pumped way over the recommended limit and it still sags. it's not nearly as snappy as i thought it would be from the advertising. then again i've never owned a FS before so it's probably way snappier than others. (i have ridden rented/borrowed DH bikes and it's waaaaay too much shock for me and the kind of terrain around here).

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 15:01 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
i have a Killswitch (the Large, 23"tt)... i personally would not consider it for street riding (i.e. bmx style street, with stuff like 180 and 360 bunnyhops, hops to manuals etc.). it's purely a trails bike for me. i realize you're saying your body is shot from 20".... but just going up to 26" with some nice fat tires should give a hardtail enough cush for you. now, if you just want to do drops off stair sets or something, than yeah, full-suspension is fine on "street."

i know blackmarket did have pics/video of street on a Killswitch.... but i still don't think it's quite right to think it's designed for it. i'm real interested to know how much psi they were running in the shock. i'm 205 lbs and i have mine pumped way over the recommended limit and it still sags. it's not nearly as snappy as i thought it would be from the advertising. then again i've never owned a FS before so it's probably way snappier than others. (i have ridden rented/borrowed DH bikes and it's waaaaay too much shock for me and the kind of terrain around here).

Yea, that's what I am afraid of; a saggy rear end, rather than a snappy one. I am 6 foot, 175-180lbs (depending on the amount of food I eat haha Razz ), so like you're saying, maybe just getting a Dob pinscher or blk mrkt Mob with a fox on it will suffice to give my joints a little rest.

I used to ride MTB's, but I found them too heavy and long to do tricks on... But then I started working out, and after no riding street for a while, I got back on a BMX last year and it became easy. I feel that an MTB might be easier to manoeuver now too!

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 16:36 Quote
doubledeuce wrote:

Yea, that's what I am afraid of; a saggy rear end, rather than a snappy one. I am 6 foot, 175-180lbs (depending on the amount of food I eat haha Razz ), so like you're saying, maybe just getting a Dob pinscher or blk mrkt Mob with a fox on it will suffice to give my joints a little rest.

I used to ride MTB's, but I found them too heavy and long to do tricks on... But then I started working out, and after no riding street for a while, I got back on a BMX last year and it became easy. I feel that an MTB might be easier to manoeuver now too!

what kind of MTB did you used to ride? was it dirt jump specific with new school geo? because if you're comparing to an old xc or something.... it's a completely different game. compact frames like doberman, superco, blackmarket, eastern, etc. are very maneuverable. that said, if you go with a 24" wheel specific frame it'll be even maneuverable and bmx feeling.

when my friends used to ride my old Union Street Molly Maguire 24", they were blown away re: street tricks. . . 24"s really do make a difference when manualing 360 hops etc etc
here are a couple of Mollyl's : Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bmxmuseum.com/image/pict2113_blowup.jpg
photo

Posted: Apr 15, 2011 at 16:48 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
doubledeuce wrote:

what kind of MTB did you used to ride? was it dirt jump specific with new school geo? because if you're comparing to an old xc or something.... it's a completely different game. compact frames like doberman, superco, blackmarket, eastern, etc. are very maneuverable. that said, if you go with a 24" wheel specific frame it'll be even maneuverable and bmx feeling.

when my friends used to ride my old Union Street Molly Maguire 24", they were blown away re: street tricks. . . 24"s really do make a difference when manualing 360 hops etc etc
here are a couple of Mollyl's : Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bmxmuseum.com/image/pict2113_blowup.jpg
photo

Actually haha I have owned a plethora of street MTB's!

From 243s back in the day, to DMR 24 specific transitions, to planet X bommers, norco 250 dirt, Evil DOC (sick bike btw haha), and about 10 others.

Had a sunday OG bmx in that mix, now my two bmxs (and some other DH/FR bikes). NEVER had an XC bike in my life unfortunately.

I would like to try a Dob Pinscher 2010 model, a Blk Mrkt Mob, or something newer like that (2010 models like almost new haha).

Maybe I can be converted to street HT's again!

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 9:39 Quote
If you want a SS bike that would be alright for street, get a Le Pink. Wait a while and see if you can pick up a used Le Pink frame for cheap (I got mine for $450 used, lucky deal but in time deals like that may arise) like mentioned before, a slopestyle bike will ride COMPLETELY different then a BMX or hardtail for street. A lot of weight and length to throw around. Btw, the bass is pretty good for dj's, my friend has one, but awkward turtle for street.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014290
Mobile Version of Website