Post your Hardrocks!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your Hardrocks!
Author Message
Posted: May 6, 2014 at 10:27 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i60.tinypic.com/2z4e8i9.jpg

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 3:40 Quote
[PI=10943096 size=l0 align=c]
mrgonzo wrote:
did you get your hardrock back from the powdercoater? I'd love to see what it looks like in orange, looks like you got one of the last years of the thicker tubed frames. tup

Indeed I did good Sir ! They took their time but boy was it worth it. Starting to build up tonight and this weekend. Looks to be a real tidy job...all the holes/threads blocked off. There's some slight scoring to the frame near where the crank arm/BB but this was there before. I sanded it down a bit before giving it to the powder coaters. They told me they were doing lots of mtbs in candy pink,blue and green...Also have a matt black and a "super" matt black that I might get for my 2011 BeOne frame which will be the main donor for this bike.

Yes, this is an '06 Hardrock...last of the "fat" tubes which I really love. I actually have Big Apple slicks on my rims for commuting...but once I saw this frame I can't help to want to put some knobblies back on.

Will post some pics when I get it finished!

Hardrock 06 with Orange KTM makeover

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 6:40 Quote
Cr3anmachin3 wrote:
[PI=10943096 size=l0 align=c]
mrgonzo wrote:
did you get your hardrock back from the powdercoater? I'd love to see what it looks like in orange, looks like you got one of the last years of the thicker tubed frames. tup

Indeed I did good Sir ! They took their time but boy was it worth it. Starting to build up tonight and this weekend. Looks to be a real tidy job...all the holes/threads blocked off. There's some slight scoring to the frame near where the crank arm/BB but this was there before. I sanded it down a bit before giving it to the powder coaters. They told me they were doing lots of mtbs in candy pink,blue and green...Also have a matt black and a "super" matt black that I might get for my 2011 BeOne frame which will be the main donor for this bike.

Yes, this is an '06 Hardrock...last of the "fat" tubes which I really love. I actually have Big Apple slicks on my rims for commuting...but once I saw this frame I can't help to want to put some knobblies back on.

Will post some pics when I get it finished!

Hardrock 06 with Orange KTM makeover

looks good, any reason why you didn't take your BB spindle out?

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 7:06 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
Cr3anmachin3 wrote:
[PI=10943096 size=l0 align=c]
mrgonzo wrote:
did you get your hardrock back from the powdercoater? I'd love to see what it looks like in orange, looks like you got one of the last years of the thicker tubed frames. tup

Indeed I did good Sir ! They took their time but boy was it worth it. Starting to build up tonight and this weekend. Looks to be a real tidy job...all the holes/threads blocked off. There's some slight scoring to the frame near where the crank arm/BB but this was there before. I sanded it down a bit before giving it to the powder coaters. They told me they were doing lots of mtbs in candy pink,blue and green...Also have a matt black and a "super" matt black that I might get for my 2011 BeOne frame which will be the main donor for this bike.

Yes, this is an '06 Hardrock...last of the "fat" tubes which I really love. I actually have Big Apple slicks on my rims for commuting...but once I saw this frame I can't help to want to put some knobblies back on.

Will post some pics when I get it finished!

Hardrock 06 with Orange KTM makeover

looks good, any reason why you didn't take your BB spindle out?

Yep. Everything I read on powdercoating suggested putting in an old one for the process. The powdercoater himself recommended it...just to protect the threads. They were able to block off all the other holes. I used an old Powerspline BB and thoroughly degreased it as I read some horror stories about grease leaking out in oven or when frame was hung up and ruining the coat. Will be putting an HT II on it.

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 8:09 Quote
Show us it built up, nice colour btw, you putting any vinyl/graphics on it?

Posted: May 13, 2014 at 8:28 Quote
PhotoCal wrote:
Show us it built up, nice colour btw, you putting any vinyl/graphics on it?

Yep found this site http://http://www.dnfive.co.uk/Bike-Decals/Specialized/Hardrock/C2-9-26-1-0.htm so gonna get a S headtube decal and maybe a couple of Hardrock Pro (I guess it will be a "Pro" now...lol). I might try something custom for the downtube. The original idea for the build came the Marvel character, The Thing....was hoping to get something like the comic title here: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3078/3089642107_a2c794559d_b.jpg

However, it "might" look a bit cheesy...but I dunno. I don't want it to look like a regular Hardrock. Less graphics is sometimes more.

Probably gonna be mostly black & orange. Some Shimano and Avid Juicy 3.5 brakes, Ragley seatpost and saddle (in orange), DMR pedals and a mostly mix of SLX and Deore drivetrain/shifters.

Bars is my only dilemma. Have the original Hardrock bars with a nice gentle riser or some Easton XC bars which I do find a bit narrow but fast for turning.

Hoping to built at my mates this Saturday so will post some pics if we get her done (and some throughout the build)

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 4:20 Quote
just the basics so I can work on it...seatpost, saddle, rear mech and bottom pull mech guide all on. Graphics/decal suggestions welcome. Part of me wants a Dukes of Hazzard "01" on the downtube :-)

The Thing

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 6:29 Quote
I would stick with less is more, slap that S sticker on the headtube, the '01' on there somewhere would look good and maybe a small confederate flag to complete the general lee look?

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 7:19 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
I would stick with less is more, slap that S sticker on the headtube, the '01' on there somewhere would look good and maybe a small confederate flag to complete the general lee look?

Yep, agreed...subtle is definitely better. Don't think I need a big Spesh logo on the downtube etc. Here's the donor bike (BeOne Karma 2011). It served me well but I rode it into the ground on the on commute the last year. It's wrecked. It will be providing SLX shifters, mechs, brakes, forks, wheels/tyres, pedals and possibly bars.

If you look close in bottom right you can see some inspiration for the Hardrock!

BeOne Karma 2011

Posted: May 14, 2014 at 7:32 Quote
That orange Hardrocks certainly going to stand out Big Grin

Here's my 2012 as it stands at the moment. Currently stripped down, in the process of converting to a 1x10 Set Up so waiting on that to arrive. Going to give the bike a full service aswell, hence it being down to the frame

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/jgmu97/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/IMG_20140507_162026_zpsac0ma0ba.jpg

Posted: May 15, 2014 at 2:53 Quote
jgmu97 wrote:
That orange Hardrocks certainly going to stand out Big Grin

Here's my 2012 as it stands at the moment. Currently stripped down, in the process of converting to a 1x10 Set Up so waiting on that to arrive. Going to give the bike a full service aswell, hence it being down to the frame

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/jgmu97/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/IMG_20140507_162026_zpsac0ma0ba.jpg

Thanks! I would be interested to see hear how you are doing the 1x10.I was considering taking my old BeOne frame and making it single speed after this project, but that seems like too much hard work. 1x10 sounds like a much better option.

Posted: May 18, 2014 at 0:59 Quote
got her built on Saturday with the help of a mate. Build wasn't without its problems...couple of trips in car to find a replacement headset...3 bike shops visited, but we got there in the end. It handles beautifully...slightly heavier but more robust feeling than my other XC bikes and the bikes it was created from. The flat XC bars were the right choice, lighter faster turning and I can get up over them more. The lighter forks and wheelset change the whole feel of the bike. Really glad I did it....I would recommend everyone trying this at least once. It's a great feeling riding a bike you have dreamt up and put together yourself. Thanks to Keith with all the help with the build and Pete for the loan of a good headset press.

Will get some more pics up once I get the decals sorted!


Posted: May 19, 2014 at 13:42 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i57.tinypic.com/25f3m93.jpg

Posted: May 19, 2014 at 22:43 Quote
Stage: Road Runner! Smile



 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016616
Mobile Version of Website