MY GUIDE: Buying 2nd Hand - What You Should Look For

PB Forum :: Beginners
MY GUIDE: Buying 2nd Hand - What You Should Look For
Author Message
Posted: Apr 21, 2011 at 9:09 Quote
i got the best one! check if its broken Cool

Posted: Apr 21, 2011 at 11:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
mcmbike wrote:
Take the rear shock off (if it's a full suspension) and cycle the linkage through it's travel. It should be smooth and there shouldn't be any sticky points. If there is, the hardware will probably need replaced.
Along a similar note, you should definately bring a rag with you as well... wipe down the fork and shock shaft and pedal it off a couple curbs at least and then check everything you just wiped for signs of oil

Also, check wheels for spoke tension and side to side play along with true-ness. Thats another one where if someone neglects their wheels, its probably not the only thing they neglected.

yeah that's a good one. A loose spoke or two=bad warp that's been fixed. Also much higher risk of blowing up spokes as some will be super super tight to compensate.

Posted: Apr 21, 2011 at 11:03 Quote
need to separate some things that are more common sense and not as important from the must know things, like top 10 or 20 things to look for

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:23 Quote
Dont buy a bike from some random guy who offers to meet you half way in a service station somewhere. It will be stolen.
Have a look around your suroundings when you go to a private residence but dont appear nosey. Ask yourself if they are genuine bike riders or not.
Dont want to sound to stereotypical but take a look at the person who is selling, Is he/she is wearing a white matching shell suit or tracksuit, or has a staff terrier, soveriegn ring, mobile phone hanging around their neck, trousers tucked into their socks, Baseball cap on back to front, - WALK AWAY. If the bike they are selling is stolen and you buy it off them then you can be sure that they will take your money before beating you up and taking it from you again to flog to some other poor mug. This applies more to the younger buyer.

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:35 Quote
surely the most important thing is take it for a test ride!

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:42 Quote
bikeaddict123 wrote:
surely the most important thing is take it for a test ride!

lol how many chav esque peeps would you let pedal your bike of into the blue yonder.

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:44 Quote
marquis wrote:
bikeaddict123 wrote:
surely the most important thing is take it for a test ride!

lol how many chav esque peeps would you let pedal your bike of into the blue yonder.

haha good point, at least a little pedal around then! or maybe like a group ride if you go with them

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:47 Quote
bikeaddict123 wrote:
marquis wrote:
bikeaddict123 wrote:
surely the most important thing is take it for a test ride!

lol how many chav esque peeps would you let pedal your bike of into the blue yonder.

haha good point, at least a little pedal around then! or maybe like a group ride if you go with them

In general most buyers are young ish and are just glad to be getting a better bike than they have,in most cases a test ride wouldn't make no difference but a serious rider would like a test but in all honesty so long as they coughed up the readies before hand they could test ride all they wanted.

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 12:53 Quote
marquis wrote:
bikeaddict123 wrote:
marquis wrote:


lol how many chav esque peeps would you let pedal your bike of into the blue yonder.

haha good point, at least a little pedal around then! or maybe like a group ride if you go with them

In general most buyers are young ish and are just glad to be getting a better bike than they have,in most cases a test ride wouldn't make no difference but a serious rider would like a test but in all honesty so long as they coughed up the readies before hand they could test ride all they wanted.

ok fine, go with your point of view then. don't test ride it at all. good plan

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 13:04 Quote
Save all the time and hasstle and use eBay. Get buyer protection and when receiving the bike toto your lbs to get it checked out. Any problems send it back within 14 days and get your cash back

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 13:04 Quote
bikeaddict123 wrote:
marquis wrote:
bikeaddict123 wrote:


haha good point, at least a little pedal around then! or maybe like a group ride if you go with them

In general most buyers are young ish and are just glad to be getting a better bike than they have,in most cases a test ride wouldn't make no difference but a serious rider would like a test but in all honesty so long as they coughed up the readies before hand they could test ride all they wanted.

ok fine, go with your point of view then. don't test ride it at all. good plan

Unless they put the cash into your hands.

Posted: Apr 25, 2011 at 13:04 Quote
willshiels wrote:
Save all the time and hasstle and use eBay. Get buyer protection and when receiving the bike toto your lbs to get it checked out. Any problems send it back within 14 days and get your cash back

Would even do that with buying and selling on here.Eek

Posted: May 14, 2011 at 13:28 Quote
see if the seller says or not if the bike has had a hard life or not. ie, Some folk advertise a bike on its merrits at decending fort william 10 times in the wet with no faults or say stuff like "even though ive crashed loads on it it just keeps taking the knocks"! errm. I would think twice about buying that bike.

Posted: May 14, 2011 at 13:34 Quote
Cheers Jim and everyone else who contributed to the thread, I've added your names to the credits.

Posted: Jun 11, 2011 at 13:23 Quote
bikeaddict123 wrote:
marquis wrote:
bikeaddict123 wrote:


haha good point, at least a little pedal around then! or maybe like a group ride if you go with them

In general most buyers are young ish and are just glad to be getting a better bike than they have,in most cases a test ride wouldn't make no difference but a serious rider would like a test but in all honesty so long as they coughed up the readies before hand they could test ride all they wanted.

ok fine, go with your point of view then. don't test ride it at all. good plan
ushaly thay come to pick up the bike in a car if thay want a test ride take ther keys


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020911
Mobile Version of Website