Help Servicing an 09 Magura Thor?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help Servicing an 09 Magura Thor?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 13:00 Quote
Cross posting this with mtbr since it seems like not many people have info on these forks:

Hi,
The seals on my Thor are completely loose, theyre all warped around the stanchion and its leaking oil onto the stanchions. Rebound is also horrible even at high psi if i put half my weight on the front it takes up about 1/3 of the travel. Max rebound isnt "bouncy" at all.

Soo, i went out and bought 32mm Fox replacement seals since i read that they work on the Thor's and are better then the magura seals and some 10wt oil. (some people put 7.5wt?? but i read that 10wt is stock? Please corret me if im wrong)
But after reading more im really confused.

On the magura site there is no service manual but they have an oil levels pdf and they say to use Blood Oil Type 5 which people are saying translates into 20wt???
Is the oil you put into the legs different then the 10wt stuff?

Im completely new to this as this is the first time ill be servicing my fork so if you guys could walk me through it that would be great.
My main questions are:
- How do i replace the seals
- What type of oil should i use
- Where does the oil go, and are there different places you have to put different types of oil in?

Thanks alot

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 13:23 Quote
the weight of the oil will make a difference in the preformance of the fork puting 5w in your fork will make it feel softer and 20w will make it seem noticeably stiffer. your changing iol in a fork not a transmission of a car so what the company says is a recomendation 95% of the time.

to replace the seals just take a flat screwdriver and put it under the dust seal and just pry it up out of its spot it will be a bitch to get out so just keep trying that until it comes out.

you should use what ever oil you want depending on what you want the fork to feel like. do NOT mix different weight oils.

you will more than likley have to put a good bit of oil in to the topof the fork and just a little in to the bottom of the fork. you should be able to undo some screws to fill up your fork.

i hope this helps.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 13:29 Quote
Just called up my bike shop and they cleared some stuff up for me as well. That helps alot

My major question now is what is the "top" of the fork and the "bottom" of the fork. Filling from the top after taking out the stanchions and filling through the screw holes in the bottom?

How do you know how much to put in each side

http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/downloads/_lmengen_Gabeln_09_english_02.pdf

That says left leg 5ml right 70ml. is that top or bottom?

Thanks alot

Edit* also when do you know if you need a complete overhaul? Like regreasing all the cartridges and all that crap?
I doubt i do this fork has only one season on it but curious for what to look out for.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 13:36 Quote
the top would be the uppers at the crown and the bottom is the lowers the screws are the ones you should have had to taken off to take the forks appart.the oil doesnt go in until you get everything togther.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 14:54 Quote
and how do you know wether to put the oil in the top or bottom?

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:16 Quote
just from experience rebuilding forks, normally you put a good bit of oil in the uppers and just a little bit in the lowers.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:30 Quote
problem is magura doesnt have a service manual all they have is this:

and why would you want oil in the uppers? Isnt that where all the rebound and lockout stuff is? and lowers is compression?

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:33 Quote
imm talking all from experience. i've never even seen a magura product but i have done dozens of rebuilds on forks and rear shocks and its never been different when it comes to adding oil in forks. but you gotta put oil in where oil came out when you took them apart.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:36 Quote

Does that help you make sense of it? Im just scared of taking it apart then completely messing it up if i put oil in the wrong place or something.

edit*
nvm im an idiot i didnt fully read the oil levels pdf

Its 2.5mL in each lower
5mL in the left upper and 70mL in the right upper

thanks alot

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:43 Quote
dont worry about puting oil in the wrong places just as long as you get some oil where it needs to go.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:46 Quote
alright final question

Magura says put Type5 in lowers Type2 in uppers

I found out from looking around that Type5 = SAE40, is this the same as 20wt?

Also in uppers its 5wt, 7,5wt, or 10wt correct?

What is the difference between them, Ie is 5wt more plush or 10wt?

Thanks

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:50 Quote
i dont have any experience with magura so i cant help you out with what their oil is equivilant to, the lower weight the oil is than the softer your fork will be.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 16:52 Quote
Great thanks alot

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 17:18 Quote
Sorry another quick question.

SAE 5 is the same as 5wt correct?

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 18:58 Quote
sorry man i got no clue about all of that fancy fluid i try to advoid it. if you have any more questions than just feel free to send me a message and ill try to help you out.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009465
Mobile Version of Website