Downhill MTB Trip to the Alps

PB Forum :: Downhill
Downhill MTB Trip to the Alps
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 at 2:59 Quote
I have been searching around a lot for information on going to the alps (Morzine really) and there is not as much as I would like. I am driving out at the end of June 2011 for 6 - 8 weeks and have never been before.

Hopefully you guys can help me put together a definitive list of what needs to be:

1. Packed
2. Adhered to
3. Done before leaving
4. Bought
5. Remembered
6. Worn (temperatures are very different to the UK)

etc.

I am sure you get the idea and I am also sure there are many of you who have been a few times and made mistakes that others can learn from.

This list is for a proper Downhill holiday (No Pedaling!), not XC or All Mountain as there is plenty of information on this.

For example, I will be taking spare brake pads; but how many sets do I need? How much riding did you manage in a day and how many sets of pads did you therefore burn through in your holiday.

Hopefully this thread can help many others.

Cheers

Andy

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 at 5:34 Quote
You'll probably need a few sets of pads depending on how hard you are on them. In the sun it's piercingly hot out there, even when it's raining it's never cold so I shouldn't worry about that, take a lot of tshirts. When it rains it RAINS so take good waterproofs. If I were you I'd take a 60a highroller for the rear and a 60a minion for the front to put on depending on the state of your current tyres, it wears tyres pretty hard and they are twice the price out there along with all the other spares. Take all the spare parts you can, you never know what will break...

Those are all the random nuggets of info I can think of right now. Oh, make sure you get good travel insurance that covers DH. Dogtag are a good place to start

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 at 6:52 Quote
Cheers, keep them coming if you have any more. Thanks for the heads up on Dogtag, was struggling to find insurance as I am probably going to to be there for so long

Posted: May 1, 2011 at 3:35 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=59197

Has some good info contained within the thread .Dogtag is what we usually use when we go but also consider Snocard insurance as well .If you are driving then you have the luxury of taking plenty of spares as they can be very expensive in resort not to mention that you may have to wait on bike specific parts .A spare derailluer hanger as well as brake pads and tubes are the basics.Wet / mud tyres in case you fancy riding in the gloopy mud that comes when the weather turns bad.One thing to consider other than everything biking is to make sure your car is in good condition and serviced as like bikes in resort parts for your car and servicing costs are expensive .European breakdown cover and extend your car insurance for european cover ,most companies only allow 28 days as part of your normal policy so may need to pay a bit extra there.Better to take loads extra and never have to use it than struggle to find stuff and not be able to go biking.

Posted: May 1, 2011 at 7:03 Quote
One set of spare tires and few tubes. One extra set of bearings and lot of oil and grease. Few set of brake pads. One extra set of grips. Some first aid stuff, bandages etc. Also, use some body armor. If you fall on monday and you cant ride the rest of the week will piss you off big time. Good map and compass (if you know, how to use). Sun cream (!). Up there the sun burns you in minutes. Lot of underwear and t-shirts + GOOD socks. The list is endless....

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 9:17 Quote
Antti69 wrote:
One set of spare tires and few tubes. One extra set of bearings and lot of oil and grease. Few set of brake pads. One extra set of grips. Some first aid stuff, bandages etc. Also, use some body armor. If you fall on monday and you cant ride the rest of the week will piss you off big time. Good map and compass (if you know, how to use). Sun cream (!). Up there the sun burns you in minutes. Lot of underwear and t-shirts + GOOD socks. The list is endless....

I have just changed bearings, they should last 6 weeks (hopefully). Is it possible to wear body armor in the heat?

Posted: Jun 5, 2011 at 15:47 Quote
Lots of questions and answers in this thread for you..

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=59197

Posted: Jun 7, 2011 at 9:41 Quote
andyf40 wrote:
Antti69 wrote:
One set of spare tires and few tubes. One extra set of bearings and lot of oil and grease. Few set of brake pads. One extra set of grips. Some first aid stuff, bandages etc. Also, use some body armor. If you fall on monday and you cant ride the rest of the week will piss you off big time. Good map and compass (if you know, how to use). Sun cream (!). Up there the sun burns you in minutes. Lot of underwear and t-shirts + GOOD socks. The list is endless....

I have just changed bearings, they should last 6 weeks (hopefully). Is it possible to wear body armor in the heat?
When we went last year i wore armor everyday! although we all agreed that this was the worst thing about the holiday as it is sooo hot and the feeling of wearing armor for 6+ hours of riding sucks! So this year im taking it but only going to wear it when we go to the chatel area as that has some pretty gnarly stuff, peoples gap been the main one!
Also about the brake pads none of us out of 4 lads didnt need to change them whilst out there, and they werent new prior to heading out! Same with tyres make sure you get a 60a for the back as it just eats them up but you wont need a spare set (unless you wanna take some mud tyres)

Posted: Jun 14, 2011 at 9:13 Quote
Well I live not too far off in Switzerland and some of the places you mention are pretty much my usual weekend rides.

What I can add is that you really will want a few things if you are constantly riding for several weeks:
Body armour is a must. You get used to wearing it everyday and it's not so bad. Some of my mates have started using the 661 neoprene style knee pads for the less hardcore trails instead of leg armour, for comfort, if you have the money I would bring both.

You will also want a decent riding pack with camelback, its absolutely essential, to carry water and tools with you, and carrying a spare tube is useful too.

Otherwise, a few jerseys and spare shorts is good. Spare shoes too if you have a wet day, with no good way of drying them (as happened to me in Italy this year).

A good set of riding gloves and grips will save your hands a lot of aches and pains.

Lastly, for the bike, a rear mech hanger helps, and most importantly a bleed kit with spare brake fluid and pads. Even return springs and pins - the more spate brake components the better! Shops there charge loads for these things.


Also if you are there several weeks with a car, then do some research of other MTb areas too. Portes Soleil is massive indeed, and much of it not that well known to tourists but I think there are better places and runs elsewhere. Bring a cheap tent then you can make cheap road trips to Pila, Verbier, Crans Montana etc... And these places won't disappoint, believe me!

Posted: Jun 15, 2011 at 9:50 Quote
RLCCM wrote:
Well I live not too far off in Switzerland and some of the places you mention are pretty much my usual weekend rides.

What I can add is that you really will want a few things if you are constantly riding for several weeks:
Body armour is a must. You get used to wearing it everyday and it's not so bad. Some of my mates have started using the 661 neoprene style knee pads for the less hardcore trails instead of leg armour, for comfort, if you have the money I would bring both.

You will also want a decent riding pack with camelback, its absolutely essential, to carry water and tools with you, and carrying a spare tube is useful too.

Otherwise, a few jerseys and spare shorts is good. Spare shoes too if you have a wet day, with no good way of drying them (as happened to me in Italy this year).

A good set of riding gloves and grips will save your hands a lot of aches and pains.

Lastly, for the bike, a rear mech hanger helps, and most importantly a bleed kit with spare brake fluid and pads. Even return springs and pins - the more spate brake components the better! Shops there charge loads for these things.


Also if you are there several weeks with a car, then do some research of other MTb areas too. Portes Soleil is massive indeed, and much of it not that well known to tourists but I think there are better places and runs elsewhere. Bring a cheap tent then you can make cheap road trips to Pila, Verbier, Crans Montana etc... And these places won't disappoint, believe me!

Thanks,

This is great advice

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014187
Mobile Version of Website