Cost to maintain a DH Bike?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Cost to maintain a DH Bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 15:39 Quote
Hello, it seems like I spend $200 a month trying to keep my DH in good working order. I bought the bike used 6 months ago and I am pretty sure I have already spent more maintaining the bike then for how much I bought it for. Is every DH bike this expensive to maintain? Or did I just get ripped off? By the way the bike is a 2005 Norco Shore but many upgrades were made before I bought it. Thanks everyone.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 15:42 Quote
If you crash and break stuff a lot then you will need a bigger budget,listing what your breaking will help.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 15:56 Quote
Were all in the same boat dude,Downhill is an exspensive hobby full stop!Some people are more lucky than others when it comes to not breaking stuff.So you might be one of the unlucky ones at the moment,but it comes down to you get what you pay for,and how well you can ride a bike.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 16:05 Quote
merlinmarlee wrote:
Were all in the same boat dude,Downhill is an exspensive hobby full stop!Some people are more lucky than others when it comes to not breaking stuff.So you might be one of the unlucky ones at the moment,but it comes down to you get what you pay for,and how well you can ride a bike.
Thanks man just making sure I wasn't the only one!

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 19:11 Quote
Keep in mind also it's kind of like a Car - the older the bike the more upkeep generally. But mainly I find it depends on how hard you ride, hard you are on your bike ect. And - you'd be surprised how much a simple tightening of all your bolts and pivots, axels and spokes Ect before EVERY ride will save you on maintenance in the long run. Or who knows, maybe you just got a lemon! Haha. I generally put about 200-150 into my bike a month depending on how often and how hard Im riding. And like these guys said - it's an expensive sport!

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 22:58 Quote
curtistownsley wrote:
Keep in mind also it's kind of like a Car - the older the bike the more upkeep generally. But mainly I find it depends on how hard you ride, hard you are on your bike ect. And - you'd be surprised how much a simple tightening of all your bolts and pivots, axels and spokes Ect before EVERY ride will save you on maintenance in the long run. Or who knows, maybe you just got a lemon! Haha. I generally put about 200-150 into my bike a month depending on how often and how hard Im riding. And like these guys said - it's an expensive sport!

Hope this helps. Cheers.
This does make good sense. I guess I do ride it kinda hard. And I will try out the tightening of bolts. Thanks much appreciated.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 23:39 Quote
200$ a month? in to what? jeez I thought bicycles would be cheaper then motorcycles but I seem to be finding out I am wrong...

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 0:12 Quote
Theirs a difference as well between maintenance and breaking parts, I replace bearings on my DH bike, lube, oil change and seals for the fork which is maintenance. Doing that as preventative maintenance sure will avoid parts breaking before they should. Costs me $100-150 a year to get one DH bike ready, I get 30 plus riding days out of that bike per season.maybe more this year.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
Exactly. You should only need to give it a tune up ($100-200) two or three times a year. Depending on how mug you ride. If you're busting parts or not giving it regular maintenance (lubing up and tightening everything on a regular basis) it'll cost a lot more. Simple little parts like a brake hose, derailleur, rims, hubs, shifters - can cost upwards of a few hundred no problem. That's where the little daily tightening ect. stuff will save you.

-If you don't tighten your spokes and youre riding hard. Eventually you'll taco a wheel. - $150
-Dont tighten your pivots and you could have frame issues - $500
Don't have good air pressure, blow a tube - $15
-Don't service a hub or fork or bottom bracket before it's too late ad you end up wrecking bearings, seals or just needin that new part
-Grinding your gears when you shift or ride it while it's not shifting nice - you could wreck your cassette, chain or derailleur, or all the above
ECT

Treat your bike like you'd treat your girlfriend. You Treat it good and it'll treat you good!
And sometimes... You just need to put out even though you know it's just going to be a bitch anyways! Haha

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 15:17 Quote
curtistownsley wrote:
Exactly. You should only need to give it a tune up ($100-200) two or three times a year. Depending on how mug you ride. If you're busting parts or not giving it regular maintenance (lubing up and tightening everything on a regular basis) it'll cost a lot more. Simple little parts like a brake hose, derailleur, rims, hubs, shifters - can cost upwards of a few hundred no problem. That's where the little daily tightening ect. stuff will save you.

-If you don't tighten your spokes and youre riding hard. Eventually you'll taco a wheel. - $150
-Don't service a hub or fork or bottom bracket before it's too late ad you end up wrecking bearings, seals or just needin that new part
-Grinding your gears when you shift or ride it while it's not shifting nice - you could wreck your cassette, chain or derailleur, or all the above
ECT

Treat your bike like you'd treat your girlfriend. You Treat it good and it'll treat you good!
And sometimes... You just need to put out even though you know it's just going to be a bitch anyways! Haha

I have 5 bikes rolling and a six'd one soon, I spend $500 per season or less all depending to keep them rolling. Biggest bike the DH being the most costly to maintain down to the road bike being the cheapest with barely anything to do.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 20:27 Quote
curtistownsley wrote:

ECT

Well I bought this bike used not knowing there was problems but now I fixed all the problems and am all good. Was pretty spendy for a while though.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 23:21 Quote
Yeah the longer your biking the more you'll know what to look for. Buying second hand can be a bitch If you're uneducated. Anyways good to hear that it's running good now. So now just keep it tight and greased and try not to be too rough on it an it should be smooth sailing. Me - my bike is dying cause I havent had money to put into it. My wheelset is about one case away from tacoing, my tires are bald, drivetrain is f*cked. Haha. I'm looking at about $500-600. But thats what happens. (when I haven't had the money to keep on top of my bike). Its not a cheap sport.
Well. Hope it all works out for ya. Cheers.

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 6:56 Quote
curtistownsley wrote:
Yeah the longer your biking the more you'll know what to look for. Buying second hand can be a bitch If you're uneducated. Anyways good to hear that it's running good now. So now just keep it tight and greased and try not to be too rough on it an it should be smooth sailing. Me - my bike is dying cause I havent had money to put into it. My wheelset is about one case away from tacoing, my tires are bald, drivetrain is f*cked. Haha. I'm looking at about $500-600. But thats what happens. (when I haven't had the money to keep on top of my bike). Its not a cheap sport.
Well. Hope it all works out for ya. Cheers.

im in the same boat as you and i also cracked my frame got another frame and cracked it in under 2 days, but im getting warranty on one of my frames.

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 7:06 Quote
As i said near the begining were all in the same boat,the only trouble is were gona need a bigger boat!Hooooper!!

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 9:49 Quote
Or at least a bigger budget haha

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017052
Mobile Version of Website