Dirt Jumping Bike Weight

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jumping Bike Weight
Previous Page |
Posted: May 4, 2011 at 8:21 Quote
Hey guys, i was wanting to know what is classified as great weight for Dirt Jumper. My ride currently weighs 28 pounds but i've hardly put any money into it. Is that a good weight? let me know what you think!

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 9:04 Quote
Personal preference. Mine is ~26 lbs and it's great. I've ridden a 22 lb bike before and it just felt sketchy.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 13:06 Quote
between 24 and 26 is where it's at. To be honest if it's sub 30 you'll just get used to whatever weight it is and it won't effect you too much.

Light wheels are always good though.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 14:07 Quote
So true. Light wheels/tires are a MUST. Those alone will drastically effect how the bike handles/feels.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 14:44 Quote
In my opinion wheels are more important than forks. Having an 831 and a heavy ass wheelset is useless. A manitou circus comp and a decent set of wheels would be better.

Grips, Pedals and Tires also make a huge difference to how a bike feels.

Even an otherwise great bike with condom grips, fat narrow spikey pedals and halfords own tires feels terrible.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 14:51 Quote
Rotational part feel 10 times heavier when rotating, wheels need to be light. A balanced bike makes it ride so much nicer, an unbalanced bike may still be light but will feel heavier than it actually is tup

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 14:53 Quote
My bike felt absolutely perfect before I broke the bars. People with higher specced bikes than mine openly admit it rode better and was more balanced.

Now I've bought 3.3" riser bars to replace 1.5" one it will ruin it a bit. I hope to buy a 80mm fork though so that would solve the problem and restore it to perfection.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 14:55 Quote
tom666 wrote:
My bike felt absolutely perfect before I broke the bars. People with higher specced bikes than mine openly admit it rode better and was more balanced.

Now I've bought 3.3" riser bars to replace 1.5" one it will ruin it a bit. I hope to buy a 80mm fork though so that would solve the problem and restore it to perfection.
What bars have you bought? Yeah it's better off getting the 80mm with Manitou's

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 15:13 Quote
I've bought NS Proofs in red. they're very sekshy.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 15:22 Quote
tom666 wrote:
I've bought NS Proofs in red. they're very sekshy.
They will be, they're Proof's Smile

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 17:07 Quote
I personally like the 26-28 lb bike. I build all my bikes similarly and I always end up right around 27lb. I always go with a light wheelset built with aluminum nips. But I always use durable parts for the bar, stem and cranks. I also lighten up with Titanium parts like Profile spindle and hub bolts/drivers.

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 21:21 Quote
Yea this my first dj setup it handles alot smoother than the bmx i had before ahah cause my front suspension is 120mm :p

Posted: May 4, 2011 at 22:01 Quote
Eww 120mm. Lower that shiz asap.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:26 Quote
ha its sick shit though aha

Posted: May 10, 2011 at 8:54 Quote
demo-9 wrote:
I personally like the 26-28 lb bike. I build all my bikes similarly and I always end up right around 27lb. I always go with a light wheelset built with aluminum nips. But I always use durable parts for the bar, stem and cranks. I also lighten up with Titanium parts like Profile spindle and hub bolts/drivers.

27lb with Ti?

You crazy...

Tbh as its been said before its all personal preference. I have a very light bike, and I feel perfectly comfortable on it due to the amount of time i have spent on it. I now find any bike over 28 or so lb just feels lethargic, heavy and unresponsive, and not nice to ride at all.

But yeah, nowadays its piss easy to have a completely bombproof spec and still be sub 25, if you have the money, otherwise even average builds are easy to get to around the 25-26lb mark, sub 28 seems to be the aim for most people nowadays though.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008178
Mobile Version of Website