Garmin Edge 800

Previous Page | Next Page
Mod Plus
Posted: May 4, 2011 at 14:15 Quote
Looking for reviews/info on the Garmin Edge 800. I've read reviews on other sites but wondering if anyone else has anything to say about it with regards to accuracy, ease of use, signal, etc....

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 10:04 Quote
Hey man,

Just picked up one of these as it fit my needs best. I will give you a quick personal review and then add a link to a great review by dcrainmaker.

I decided to go with this because the gps watches are meant a bit more for running and swimming and I hate having to wear something on my wrist when I ride. The watches will be a bit more durable however event of a crash etc). Overall the 800 is sick, very accurate gps and the screen is pretty dope (little pixalated and is resistive - works with gloves etc but can scratch) . I would by mine from mec.ca and order the cadence speed sensor and heart strap seperate as the new heartstrap is more comfortable. mec's prices are quite good too.
I got this because it works with my road bike and my mtn bike and can be used for geocaching as well.. all you need to do is pay for or torrent the canadian maps from piratebay etc. (and by an micro sd card)
Th one major downside to this is the stupid timer button. Even with the screen lock on the timer button can pressed to stop, which stops the gps logging etc. That sucks for me because i dont attach this to my frame when riding mountan cause i dont want to break it. On my roadbike this is not an issue. So i place it in my hydration pack and position it so the button does not get pressed, but even with that i have lost a ride or 2.

The garming connect site and software is amazing, very accurate and clear. The heartrate monitor is slightly inaccurate on lower bpms (under 100 lets say) but is very accurate over 100 which is where it counts anyways.
have not fully configured the cadence sensor so i cannot comment on that.

Heres the other review, hope this helps...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

Mod Plus
Posted: May 6, 2011 at 14:05 Quote
Thanks for the post. I'll be just using mine for trail riding so wondering how the signal strength is? Do you lose the signal at all under the forest canopy? What did yours come preloaded with?

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 17:24 Quote
I ride under pretty thick cover (not a jungle) but definately gets dark... (West Coast BC) And It has not lost signal yet, and that is inside my pack. As for maps, you get nothing. Its just a blank map with some city names. No topo info or anything really. I havent messed with the city routes or maps yet. You will need city navigator...

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=13659

But here is something you might like....

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4929298/Garmin_Topo_Canada_v4

Mod Plus
Posted: May 12, 2011 at 16:40 Quote
Thanks for the links. There's definitely some interesting posts on the Garmin forum

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013399
Mobile Version of Website