Anyone still use a computer for trail riding?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone still use a computer for trail riding?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:32 Quote
It's been 15 years since I have, and I just bought one yesterday. The problem is it already feels a little out of place on my Sp Camber Pro 29er. Am I the only one still using a computer on a trail bike?

I'm also not digging the looks of it on my bike lol.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:34 Quote
i had one on my dh bike for lols, i crashed and smashed it up though Frown

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:45 Quote
Yeah I guess they're in a pretty vulnerable place on the bike and they're probably the most easily breakable part on the bike. I never really thought of that. I guess I better never take another fall in my life lol.

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:49 Quote
lol

i found it useful for timing runs etc though Smile average speed and max speed were interesting as well Smile

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:54 Quote
I guess another problem is when flying on the trails it's dangerous to look at it to see current speed. That kinda defeats 50% of the purpose of the thing for me. Max speed and total distance traveled will be great though. I'm off to set max speed right now Big Grin

Posted: May 5, 2011 at 9:55 Quote
haha i got 38.6mph i think when i had mine Razz

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 10:36 Quote
I use a Garmin Edge 305 to log my rides. I like that it does everything (speed, HR, alt, cadence, etc) but I seldom look at it while riding, it's more just to tally up kms, alt gain, hr and calories on both my XC and Road bikes.

I decided to go with a GPS like the Garmin instead of the typical bike computer (like a Cateye Mighty8...that I still have sitting around somewhere...) because I was tired of almost constantly snapping wires.

There is this new age where people are using their smart phones to track their rides using web sites like endomondo.com, which generally is pretty accurate depending on the area in which you ride.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 14:59 Quote
I use a cateye wireless unit. I installed mine a few weeks ago, it's been great for tracking ride lengths and actual riding time. The speedometer I really only use when I'm climbing or on roads, otherwise I need to be focused on the trail. I've seen quite a few people with Garmin's. I would say they're the new cool thing bike computer wise, but in my opinion a simple speedometer that tracks distance and time is just as good a less likely to fail.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 15:56 Quote
I have had less issues in with my Garmin (0) in the last 6 years then I ever had with anything else, but the thing I like most about it is that I can upload and track all of my ride stats.

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 20:19 Quote
http://connect.garmin.com/player/55434608 CLick here

I use a garmin edge705 and upload the data to the garmin connect website. Its the bees knees! it does Heart rate, speed, distance, elevation, laps, and cadence for the roadie. check out the link above Smile

Posted: May 6, 2011 at 21:47 Quote
I have a cat eye wireless. No wires to snag and break, its awesome. It stores two distances (A and B), odo, max speed and average speed, trip time, and current time. I mostly look at the current speed if road riding, not on the trails. But its always nice to know how far I've gone and what my average and max speed were. I would never get rid of it.

I did just recently find a pretty wicked app for my iPhone though. MotionX GPS, it was on sale for 99 cents (reg $3.99 I think), or you can try the free version. Man this thing blows me away! It's basically a garmin. Tracks EVERYTHING, records it in "tracks" which are then exported via email and can be used with different mapping programs to show you everything you could ever want to know. Its super cool. My idea is to map out all the local trails around me over the course of this summer.

I would recommend it to anyone in our sport, for the price you cant go wrong. However, I'm not comfortable putting my phone on my handle bars, no way I could afford a new one haha, but to throw in your pocket/hydro pack and just record everything you did for your ride, its amazing. I wouldn't use it to monitor current data, thats what my Cat eye is for.

ex. of exported email:

Hello,

Chris uses MotionX-GPS on the iPhone and is sharing with you the following track:

Sunday morning ride

Name: Track 001
Date: 2011-05-01 10:58 am
Map:
(valid until Oct 28, 2011) View on Map]
Distance: 6.78 kilometers
Elapsed Time: 35:34.6
Avg Speed: 11.4 km/h
Max Speed: 33.8 km/h
Avg Pace: 05' 15" per km
Min Altitude: 164 m
Max Altitude: 213 m
Start Time: 2011-05-01T14:58:06Z
Start Location:
Latitude: XXXXXXXº N
Longitude: 79.759289º W
End Location:
Latitude: XXXXXXXº N
Longitude: 79.759059º W

There is also a .gpx and .kmz file attached that you can use.

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 16:35 Quote
I used for the first time Sport Tracker, an app for andriod phones. It gives all the same info listed above. I have the trial version. Regular version costs $9.99, and as afar as i can tell the only difference is that I could upload the info, to brag to you guys how fast i went or how far I rode. You can also attach bluetooth heart rate monitors, if you're that hard core. I like it, I always have my phone with me anyway. It said to keep the phone out in the open, but I had it in my pocket and it seemed to record everything OK. Now, if you need instant gratification, you need to figure out how to mount the phone to your bars, or listen for the little robot voice every few minutes with an update on your stats.

Posted: May 7, 2011 at 19:31 Quote
Did you not like the included My Tracks app? I got my garmin before I got my droid, but I still favor the garmin for mtn biking because it seems more durable and is definitely more compact then my droid x.

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 4:39 Quote
I have one on my XC and road/commuting bikes. Pretty much for the ride distance, timing and overall ODO though.

Posted: May 8, 2011 at 5:45 Quote
I also still use a Cateye, the same one is used on my road, xc, AM and DH bikes which I just bought extra sensors. This way my Odo accumulates all my riding combined. I keep a log on a spread sheet I created.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010908
Mobile Version of Website